Media General to buy Meredith in TV, magazine deal

Would CBS want to buy WFSB in Hartford? NBC owns the local affiliate WVIT. Would CBS feel the Hartford market is worth owning?

Would CBS want to buy WFSB in Hartford? NBC owns the local affiliate WVIT. Would CBS feel the Hartford market is worth owning?
All depends if MG want to keep CBS or ABC there. Also the CBS in Springfield MA is basically a satellite of WFSB. So would CBS take that too?

CBS supposedly wants to sell their radio stations in Hartford, so I can't see them buying a TV station in a market where they want to get out of radio.

- Trip

Reactions: Mr Tony
All depends if MG want to keep CBS or ABC there. Also the CBS in Springfield MA is basically a satellite of WFSB. So would CBS take that too?
I think WFSB is worth more than WTNH. Would they want to hold on to or sell based on that.

CBS supposedly wants to sell their radio stations in Hartford, so I can't see them buying a TV station in a market where they want to get out of radio.

- Trip
Where is the money for CBS, is it worth more to have a flagship TV station or a bunch of Radio.

Media General Priorities all screwed up.
Meredith Purchase at a standstill
Still waiting for them to launch a lwn replacement
Now in a contract squabble with Directv

Gotta love a market with inept tv station owners

If you like Media General good for you but if this blackout goes through and the Meredith Sale goes bust which it will regardless if the FCC approves it or not, its all an epic FAIL. Severe disappointment

Now Nexstar wants to buy Media General

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/88757/nexstar-offers-41-billion-for-media-general

Perry Sook thinks he has a better deal for the shareholders of Media General.

Rather than buying Meredith, the CEO of Nexstar Broadcasting believes it should be selling to him.

To that end, Nexstar announced this morning that it is offering $4.1 billion for Media General (which includes assumption of debt). That's $14.50 in cash and stock, a 30% premium over Friday's closing price, plus assumption of debt.

With management's support, Sook said, Nexstar could have a definitive merger agreement on the table in 20 days.

Two hours after Nexstar floated its bid, Media General responded by saying it would "carefully review and consider" it, while cautioning shareholders to "take no action at this time."

more at the link above

To appease regulators, Sook said, Nexstar and Media General would have to spin off around the same number of stations as Media General would to acquire Meredith, but the stations would be in smaller markets. As a result, they would have less impact on the bottom line.

oh gees there goes cozi, get, grit, escape, laff.....oh and if the deal goes through...
10, 15, 46 would be owned by nexstar....so 3, 24, and the 50 group would be left.....WOW I am sick....there goes cozi unless Delta or evening post picks it up....

Iceburg if Nexstar buys out Media General that means Nexstar would own 4 of the 6 major stations so what would happen....I am sure one of the stations would end up being sold (kinda like the KXJB CBS 4 consolidating into the Vally 11 NBC) and heck maybe we can have some extra channels....You would have KLFY 10 CBS, KLAF NBC 46.1 and KADN fox 15.1 and MNTV 15.3, might be something worth taking a chance on....KLFY said by November 1st or 15th the new channel was going to launch but now....oh well

oh gees there goes cozi, get, grit, escape, laff.....oh and if the deal goes through...
contracts are in place. If I recall, they technically cant remove a station unless the contract is up

10, 15, 46 would be owned by nexstar....so 3, 24, and the 50 group would be left.....WOW I am sick....there goes cozi unless Delta or evening post picks it up....
calm down. Nexstar isnt buying them yet. They just threw out an offer. Media General can tell them to shove it if they want....and if it happened 10,15 & 46 CANT all be owned by Nexstar...will explain in your next post

Iceburg if Nexstar buys out Media General that means Nexstar would own 4 of the 6 major stations so what would happen....I am sure one of the stations would end up being sold (kinda like the KXJB CBS 4 consolidating into the Vally 11 NBC) and heck maybe we can have some extra channels....You would have KLFY 10 CBS, KLAF NBC 46.1 and KADN fox 15.1 and MNTV 15.3, might be something worth taking a chance on....KLFY said by November 1st or 15th the new channel was going to launch but now....oh well

Lets hypothetically do this as if the deal went through....again HYPOTHETICAL

Nextar CAN continue to own KLAF as its low powered regardless of which other station they want (FCC rules say you can own a full power and a lp regardless of affiliation)
Nexstar CANT own BOTH KLFY and KADN as they are both top 4 networks

So options
1. Nexstar sells one of the two stations to another company as is (license, programming, etc).
2. Nexstar buys the programming from one of the 2 stations (KADN or KLFY) and moves the programming to the subchannel of the existing station they are keeping.
3. Something I haven't thought of....

The wild card in all of this is KLAF...being low powered obviously Nextsar wants it as a sub on a full powered station (as it is now). So if they do option 2 they would have to remove that simulcast as you can only fit 2 HD stations on a RF station.....yes I've seen stations upconvert 480i to 720p and feasibly have 3 "HD" stations....but for sake of argument lets keep it at 2.

Since Nexstar owns most of the FOX affiliates in Louisiana (or runs them) and the only MG owned station in LA is KLFY I could see that one being on the "chopping/selling" block. What happens....we dont know but I'm sure Nexstar will try to sell it to someone

Reactions: localclassictvfan
Lets hypothetically do this as if the deal went through....again HYPOTHETICAL

Nextar CAN continue to own KLAF as its low powered regardless of which other station they want (FCC rules say you can own a full power and a lp regardless of affiliation)
Nexstar CANT own BOTH KLFY and KADN as they are both top 4 networks

So options
1. Nexstar sells one of the two stations to another company as is (license, programming, etc).
2. Nexstar buys the programming from one of the 2 stations (KADN or KLFY) and moves the programming to the subchannel of the existing station they are keeping.
3. Something I haven't thought of....

The wild card in all of this is KLAF...being low powered obviously Nextsar wants it as a sub on a full powered station (as it is now). So if they do option 2 they would have to remove that simulcast as you can only fit 2 HD stations on a RF station.....yes I've seen stations upconvert 480i to 720p and feasibly have 3 "HD" stations....but for sake of argument lets keep it at 2.

Since Nexstar owns most of the FOX affiliates in Louisiana (or runs them) and the only MG owned station in LA is KLFY I could see that one being on the "chopping/selling" block. What happens....we dont know but I'm sure Nexstar will try to sell it to someone
Thats what i figured, like what happened with the KXJB to KVLY then the assets of channel 4 being sold to Major Market Broadcasting (we elaborated on this before)

Thats what i figured, like what happened with the KXJB to KVLY then the assets of channel 4 being sold to Major Market Broadcasting (we elaborated on this before)
correct. If they buy the assets then they would either need to find a new owner or shut down the station and turn in the license

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts