Mesh Router Recommendation

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
Want to replace my Orbi Mesh router. Any recommendations for a good quality Mesh router with one satellite? I want the satellite to have two to four port Ethernet capability. Also want to switch from Orbi to something different. Thanks for any help.

I just installed the Amazon EERO 6+ three pack. Only using two. Replaced the Verizon CR1000A FiOS cable modem router, which in turn replaced the previous FiOS unit with a TP-Link router set up as a WAP.

I no longer need to pick a different SSID as I move about the house. Mesh, WIRED mesh, is good.

Never had much luck with TP-Link products.

I loved my Ubiquity, but had to reset it to parade rest and start over. Could not get it up and running again. MicroCenter will not work with routers. Sigh. It was the best. Only needed the one unit. It replaced an Apple router which failed. But uncheap.

I just installed the Amazon EERO 6+ three pack. Only using two. Replaced the Verizon CR1000A FiOS cable modem router, which in turn replaced the previous FiOS unit with a TP-Link router set up as a WAP.

I no longer need to pick a different SSID as I move about the house. Mesh, WIRED mesh, is good.

Never had much luck with TP-Link products.

I loved my Ubiquity, but had to reset it to parade rest and start over. Could not get it up and running again. MicroCenter will not work with routers. Sigh. It was the best. Only needed the one unit. It replaced an Apple router which failed. But uncheap.
Thanks

Want to replace my Orbi Mesh router.
Why? Mine RULE! I have the main one in the basement and the satellite in one of our upstairs bedrooms with a wired backhaul. Works great. No dead spots anywhere.
I swapped from my Orbi system to TP link Deco X-75. I use three of them and get better consistent speed with them than I did with the much more expensive Orbis.
OK, you offer a reason (consistent speed) as a reason to switch. Did you place your TPlink gear in the same place as your Orbi's were?

OK, you offer a reason (consistent speed) as a reason to switch. Did you place your TPlink gear in the same place as your Orbi's were?
I did.

The Orbi system worked well. I really did not have any big complaints (aside from the cost when purchased lol), but the Deco system has a 6ghz band that can be used as a dedicated backhaul exclusively, or with devices that support it. I have it set just as a backhaul between the three units.

That likely contributes to the speed difference between the two systems that I had.

I will add that the Deco seems to have more customization from the app itself than the Orbi app offered. Not that I do alot of fancy stuff with mine, but prioritizing devices to specific nodes is one I dont think Orbi offered, at the app level anyway. I may be wrong.

Ò⁹
I did.

The Orbi system worked well. I really did not have any big complaints (aside from the cost when purchased lol), but the Deco system has a 6ghz band that can be used as a dedicated backhaul exclusively, or with devices that support it. I have it set just as a backhaul between the three units.

That likely contributes to the speed difference between the two systems that I had.

I will add that the Deco seems to have more customization from the app itself than the Orbi app offered. Not that I do alot of fancy stuff with mine, but prioritizing devices to specific nodes is one I dont think Orbi offered, at the app level anyway. I may be wrong.
When you look at everything in your Deco web browser, does it have the capability to print the data? When I had a Linksys years ago it had the print option.

Why? Mine RULE! I have the main one in the basement and the satellite in one of our upstairs bedrooms with a wired backhaul. Works great. No dead spots anywhere.
TheKrell, my Orbi Mesh setup is coming up on five years old. Figured it’s about time before it bites me in the A--. I just have one satellite that is Ethernet back wired to the router. It’s in the garage so it is close to my WiFi pellet grill, Ring camera, TV, and sometimes to my laptop & cellphone. I don’t understand why the satellite doesn’t connect instantly to my laptop and cellphone when I have them in the garage. They both stay latched to the main router inside in the Great room. The speed drops way down causing my laptop to act sluggish.

Also, lately the devices list in the Orbi web browser displays weird Mac IDs for some of my DISH equipment. Don’t understand how that can happen. One of my Ring cameras in the back yard has a weak signal. So I am going to get two satellites next time to see if I can fix that. Also, I would like a router that you can print data from the web browser like my old Linksys had. Speaking of Linksys Mesh setup, wonder how it performs lately!

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
Ò⁹

When you look at everything in your Deco web browser, does it have the capability to print the data? When I had a Linksys years ago it had the print option.
It’s been since I installed it that I looked at it via a browser (and it wasn’t required to then), so I honestly can not answer with any certainty.

I’d want to say yes. I’ll try to check.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Before I got my Orbi I had all kinds of issues with WiFi in my home. Now I don't even think about it. And I have full signal strength on my patio where I spend a good amount of time. Prior to the Orbi I was unable to stream music while tending the BBQ. As they say though, YMMV.