Micro HD. Locks up when I plug in external hard drive and says adio problem. I reformatted hard dri

Elkview

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 12, 2008
Elkview,West Virginia
. I reformatted hard drive and still the same. I have to cut power to get it to restart. Any ideas?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Hook the drive up to your computer and format it FAT32 and try again.

Something I have to do with my hard drive is hook it up to my computer and click on properties. I ask the computer to "fix disk errors" and then defragment the drive (you can analyze it on the defrag menu before doing the deframentation to see if it needs it). Then I properly "eject" the disk, giving it a few extra seconds to spin down before reconnecting it to the microHD. I rarely have problems when doing that consistently, especially after deleting a lot of recordings from the drive. Not sure if it's even related to your Hard drive problem, but couldn't hurt to try after the FAT32 format mentioned by ke4est (I had to do a long format, not the "quick format" on the menu).

EX FAT [extended file allocation table] is used to overcome the 4GB size limit on files when using FAT32. Thumb drives use this a lot.

The problem with ExFAT is that many devices won't work with it. It is a Microsoft incarnation. I doubt the micro will work with an ExFAT formatted drive. It will work fine with NTFS.

I never got my 2Tb external harddrive to work. Reformatted a couple different ways with finally fat32, but would not work. I bought a PNY attaché 3 128gb USB drive for $34.81 and works perfectly plus doesn't need power. So now I have a backup for my laptop or my Hoppers. Thanks for the help on here.

With my microHD, I'm currently using a Toshiba Canvio Connect 2TB drive - HDTC720XS3C1 - that I got on sale from Staples a few weeks ago. No external power needed. The drive powers down when not in use, so there is a 7-8 second delay when it comes out of 'sleep' after you hit the RECORD button. Haven't had a chance to record any high high bitrate sports feeds, only thing close are the network CBS 4:2:2 (garbled) and NBC feeds. No hiccups when I play the recordings on my PC. My only peeve is that the microHD splits the files into ~1gb chunks and I haven't found a program that perfectly combines the files without losing video frames.

I've also used a PNY 128Gb USB 3.0 pen/flash drive. If you want less clutter, it is a Slick Deal. ;)

Attachments

• canvio.jpg
    canvio.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 158

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts