GEOSATpro micro hd recovery cable

k.r.

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
Floyd knobs indiana
Can you still buy the bootloop recovery cable for the micro hd.. no luck so far on ebay...i brickd it while back and since i accidentaly bout a spare remote for it instead of the one hdvr1200 i kinda wana dig it out and get it goin again..

You can make your own cable from parts. That's what I did when my MicroHD got stuck in a boot loop.

I started with a USB to serial cable for the USB side. I bought it at Fry's or Radio Shack for another project, but it contained a PL2303HX chip on a small circuit board with a USB connector (shown in first photo below). It was exactly what I needed for fixing my MicroHD.

For the end that attaches onto the Micro HD circuit board I used a 4 pin connector from my parts bin, originally obtained from an old cordless phone. I soldered the wires to the 4 pin connector as shown in the second photo below (which also shows the microHD circuit board).

The wiring of the 4-pin connector as shown attached to the circuit board in the second photo is as follows: Ground (black), Power (red), TX (green), and RX (white).

Good luck getting your Micro HD working again!

Brett

usbtoserial.jpg

microhd2.jpg

N6BY thanks for the photos!! After I saw them, and being the DIY guy I am, I saved them to my hard drive then went looking on fleabay for that cable. Found what I think is the same thing and ordered one from China. Gonna take a few weeks to get it but that's not a problem as my Micros are working OK at the moment. Here's a link to that one I ordered, which is only $1.43 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181341408242?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

N6BY thanks for the photos!! After I saw them, and being the DIY guy I am, I saved them to my hard drive then went looking on fleabay for that cable. Found what I think is the same thing and ordered one from China. Gonna take a few weeks to get it but that's not a problem as my Micros are working OK at the moment. Here's a link to that one I ordered, which is only $1.43 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181341408242?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Let us know how it works when you get it.

after diging through my junkyard didn't find anything usefull....drove all around town...hh Gregg...staples...radio shack all kinda places...I found this at best buy
http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/computer-speakers-accessories/NS-PU99501.html ..so im thinkn...lop off the rs232 and use alagator clips..vacations almost over and I don't want any more waiting on mail service..do you think my plan will work...is the chip n all always at the usb side? it dosent look like I can dissemble it.

after diging through my junkyard didn't find anything usefull....drove all around town...hh Gregg...staples...radio shack all kinda places...I found this at best buy
http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/computer-speakers-accessories/NS-PU99501.html ..so im thinkn...lop off the rs232 and use alagator clips..vacations almost over and I don't want any more waiting on mail service..do you think my plan will work...is the chip n all always at the usb side? it dosent look like I can dissemble it.
Getting a 404 on that link.

UPDATE: Just got this cable from China today. I took the USB end apart and it's exactly like the one in the picture up the page. Just took a while for it to get here. I guess it's better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it. Ennywho, the price was right. And did I mention that I'm CHEAP! :oldwink

Reactions: N6BY
UPDATE: Just got this cable from China today. I took the USB end apart and it's exactly like the one in the picture up the page. Just took a while for it to get here. I guess it's better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it. Ennywho, the price was right. And did I mention that I'm CHEAP! :oldwink
$1.43 shipped is a great deal. Did it come with drivers or have you verified that it works with drivers available online?

Needs Windows XP, Vista, or 7 also. I never could get one to work with 8 or 8.1. Not tried 10 yet.
There supposed to be a new one that works with 8 and up, don't remember the part number off hand though.

Heh, well, I did a google search for the driver and found it. It's a PL2303HX USB TO TTL Serial Cable and that search found the chipset driver and I just got through installing it and on reboot Windows XP found the driver and automatically installed it. We be jamming now, IF, I ever need to that is.

Thanks guys

KE4EST the driver version number I just downloaded is 1.10.0.20140925 Here's the release notes for this version:

PL2303 Driver Setup Installer, Prolific Edition
Setup Installer Revision Note History
==================================================

System Requirement:
. USB 1.1/2.0/3.0 Host Controller
. Device using PL2303HXA/XA/HXD/EA/RA/SA/TA/TB version chips
. Supports the following Windows OS Family (32 and 64 bit):
- Windows 2000 SP4
- Windows XP SP2 and SP3
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows Vista
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows 7
- Windows Server 2008R2
- Windows 8
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2012R2
NOTE:
- Windows 8/8.1/Server2012/Server2012R2 are NOT supported in PL2303HXA/XA EOL chip versions (discontinued).

- Download latest PL2303 CheckChipVersion tool program to check chip version in Windows 7.
- Windows 98 and ME driver support are discontinued.
- Windows 2000 and XP support are also discontinued.

Reactions: k.r. and KE4EST
I'll have to look sometime and see if the ones I had were PL2303HXA/XA.
Thanks
LoneGunman

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)