GEOSATpro MicroHD can't decode video on this transponder...

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
OK, on 99.2W G16 C-band, there is a new "My Family" that just popped up.
Code:
3790/H/1666 V49/A52/P49 Fec 5/6
DVB-S (QPSK) Labeled as: "Service 3 MPEG4 S". 90% signal, 71% quality. I'm using the MicroHD receiver. I get the audio, but VIDEO is completely BLACK! "Video Resolution" says: "By Source".

As for my X2 HD receiver, this channel scans in perfectly, BOTH audio and video!

X2 HD wins this one.

Brian, can you check this out and find out why the MicroHD can't get video on this? It's running the latest firmware.

Last edited:
Scanned it OK on my microHD. Maybe weather related? 99w 3790.JPG

Scanned it OK on my microHD. Maybe weather related?View attachment 91155

What firmware are you running? I'll try again later when I'm not recording something else. The only difference I see, is on mine, it says SID 3, yours says SID 1.

Did you already have channels scanned in on this sat, or was this a new scan?

Ok, I rescanned and now it comes up as Channel 1, and is showing a church service. Sid 1 now shows. I think maybe they are doing some tests here, and changing from time to time.

Last edited:
At one time both these channels were in the same mux.
Then they changed.

if you have 3790 in the receiver with sid 1 that is KCHF.
However if you delete it out and manually add 3789 (1666) you will scan in KCHF,
Now manually add 3792 (1666) and it will add the other channel KNLC which scans in as service 3 mpeg4sd.
Being so close in freq, these would need to be manually entered as posted to receive them.

Funny they didn't use different polarities..

nothing wrong with the current situation. They are both leasing sat time from the same provider and that frequency on the other polarity may not be available for lease -- or lease at a much more expensive rate per MHz.

The main thing about them is how close they are together in frequency so it makes things a little touchy to tune depending on how bad the drift of the cheap LNBs are at the desired time of viewing.

...or maybe the pros just dial in the frequency and never know the other channel is nearby...:)
'
hint: this might be a good use for a more frequency-stable PLL LNB/LNBF...?
(good thing one of those is coming down the pipeline pretty soon) :up

I'm not using "cheap lnb's". I'm using Norsat 8115's with a Chaparral orthomode feed, on a 10ft dish with the MicrohD running the latest firmware.

We had a simular issue back when the "Movies!" channel first went up, and Movies! and MeTv interfered with each other causing black screen. Brian had the firmware tweaked im some way, but apparently with a case such as this it's still some sort of a problem issue that should be addressed.

The 8115 is 150KHz I think, shouldn't be the issue. AFC in the receiver is likely locking on one or the other. Might help to set the frequency in the receiver 1-2 MHz low on the lower frequency and 1-2MHz high on the upper one so the receiver won't shift far enough to have the farther away frequency within it's AFC range. At least in theory that should help... Also could be a really wide passband that actually picks up both TPs at once...
AFC helps lock signals when blind scanning and likely has a range of 2.5-3MHz. Might be funtional to turn this off when not scanning as long as the receiver has locked in the correct frequency for each TP, but I have never seen this option in DVB receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)