GEOSATpro microHD - How to change blue left & right edge background in 4x3 aspect video in DVR playback mode?

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
When I play back 4 x 3 aspect formatted video (old tv shows) in dvr mode, the left and right boxed sides are BLUE. Is there any way to change them to black? Or is blue "safer" to stop the possibility of any sort of screen burn-in on an hd tv? If that's so, then I'm ok with leaving it blue as long as I know that.

I prefer to leave shows in their original aspect ratio, and do NOT want to change them to full-screen, as I can't stand "stretch-o-vision".

Will need to try playing a 4x3 video file to view this window box function. Don't recall previously playing a 4x3 file on the media player during any test or daily usage.

Minimal luminance difference between black or blue as far as screen burn is concerned. If on a CRT or plasma, I would be concerned if left in this mode for hundreds of hours. Not as much of a concern with LCD displays, but understand it is an issue with OLED.

Ok, maybe this isn't an issue after all. It appears that the blue sides are only on certain video playbacks, for instance METV1 or 2, and not a global issue. Which is the majority of my recordings. I realized this morning it doesn't happen on Cozi 4x3.

That is interesting that it is not on all 4:3. Got me curious to try it now too.

We had also noted that some 4:3 had blue window box while others did not during recent testing. Have not analyzed the TS of these programs to see if the ratio or aspect is defined differently in the tables.

If the microHD TV Setup menu has resolution set to native and aspect set to auto and TV is set to auto, does live programming for either service fill the screen or remain 4:3?

I am thinking that this is related to the service table associated with the program instructing the receiver how to default display.

If the microHD TV Setup menu has resolution set to native and aspect set to auto and TV is set to auto, does live programming for either service fill the screen or remain 4:3?

I am thinking that this is related to the service table associated with the program instructing the receiver how to default display.

If the menu settings are changed as you asked about, live programming (AND recorded programming) for MEtv1 fills the screen completely on my new LG 42la6200 1080p tv set.

I'm not sure I like these settings for 4:3 material as it appears to be cutting off the sides a bit, but I'll watch for a bit and see if I can tolerate it.

OK, that means that MEtv1 program table defines the aspect ratio to fill the screen with 4:3 material. To change to a custom preference in the menus is not a problem, but that explains why the microHD is filling in the windowbox as it is undefined space.

We will look into the option of changing this windowbox space to black, but this option does not appear in the SDK and is likely defined in hard code.

Doesn't COZI broadcast a 16x9 image?

Not always. I get some 4:3 on Cozi now and again.

However, we aren't talking about Cozi in this thread. We are talking about MEtv1 and 2. Their 4:3 broadcast when recorded, shows in DVR mode with blue sides, which is what the thread was posted about.

Cozi transmits with 16x9 and 4:3 content flags.

I don't remember watching Roy Rogers and the Lone Ranger on my old B&W TV in 16x9. ;) :eek:

Ok, maybe this isn't an issue after all. It appears that the blue sides are only on certain video playbacks, for instance METV1 or 2, and not a global issue. Which is the majority of my recordings. I realized this morning it doesn't happen on Cozi 4x3.

Not always. I get some 4:3 on Cozi now and again.

However, we aren't talking about Cozi in this thread. We are talking about MEtv1 and 2. Their 4:3 broadcast when recorded, shows in DVR mode with blue sides, which is what the thread was posted about.

If you're so sensitive to topics going astray, you shouldn't introduce said stray topics. :rolleyes:

Cozi transmits with 16x9 and 4:3 content flags.

I don't remember watching Roy Rogers and the Lone Ranger on my old B&W TV in 16x9. ;) :eek:

Me neither! Poncho is really chubby when stretched though. Sorry for going off range there. :)

Do the 4x3 content flags let equipment stretch the image when seen? To me, broadcast in 16x9 means they are broadcasting side bars for 4x3 content. This would explain why COZI isn't having the issue, as noted initially by the OP..

[sarcasm]p.s. Sorry for the extra period on my last sentence. I didn't mean to add the extranious information to this narrowly focused thread. [/sarcasm] :D

If you're so sensitive to topics going astray, you shouldn't introduce said stray topics. :rolleyes:

Huh? Who's sensitive? Not me.

I was just pointing out that my main issue was with recorded 4:3 shows from MEtv having blue sides, as you mentioned 16x9 from Cozi, which doesn't have the blue sides, so I thought maybe you were confused. So I pointed that out for clarity.

I think you may find out that the 4x3 recordings that do not show the blue on the sides are actually 16x9 ts streams with the black pillars in the transmitted video and not added by the microHD or TV.

After reading post #7 in this thread, please explain the relevance...

Sorry, I don't understand your point??? Maybe an exact quote? Using an iPhone and pages/post numbers are a bit difficult to decipher. :D

EDIT: Ok...the reference makes sense now! That thread took a left turn and went crazy! LOL! :D

Last edited:
After reading post #7 in this thread, please explain the relevance...

Sorry, I don't understand your point??? Maybe an exact quote? Using an iPhone and pages/post numbers are a bit difficult to decipher. :D
PM sent and I'll just drop it here.

And I just noticed the part in your post about using an iPhone,when I hit "reply with quote",that doesn't appear in the post when I originally read it.

GEOSATpro No wrenchs or spanners!!

GEOSATpro microHD Remote TV/Radio function

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)