Microsoft dramatically cuts upgrade pricing on Windows 8 upgrade

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Perhaps Windows 8 will sell very well. Or is it that MS is panicking and thinking no one will want to learn Metro?

DailyTech - Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Prices Revealed: $39.99 Download, $69.99 via Disc

To counter Apple, Inc.'s (AAPL) $19.99 USD Mountain Lion licensing, Microsoft is offering Windows 8 "Pro" for only $39.99 USD via download. A DVD version will be available for $69.99 USD (that's one expensive disc). Clearly Microsoft is trying to funnel customers to its online process, which it hopes will lead to a more pain-free and automated installation.

It is about time MS gave a price break to upgrade. In the past it was usually cheaper to buy the OEM version vs buying the upgrade.

I've beta tested Windows 8 and I much prefer 7. Windows 8 is better for touch screens and tablets, but overall it sucks compared to 7.

Hopefully we will skip this at work. Really not looking forward to seeing what MS has up their sleeves for the next version of Server....

I'll wait until I get access to another MSDN subscription and get it that way so I can do some "testing" for "work." I'm in no hurry for this. Win 7 works fine for me and I'm in no rush to restore everything after formatting my HDD and installing a new OS.

Even after a dramatic price cut they are still more expensive than those greedy people at Apple. I'll bet you also have to pay that for every system Windows is installed on, too.

Hey folks, Microsoft OSs are like Star Trek movies.... Every other one sucks....

Windows 3.11 for Workgroups... Good
Windows 95... Groundbreaking, but miserable as numerous devices and accessories worked poorly or not as well with it.
Windows 98... Refined the W95 UI and it worked like a charm.
Windows Millenium ... Ford Edsel bad.. Shortest OS generation so far as they couldn't kill it fast enough.
Windows XP... Still in Use by several people today
Windows Vista .... I'll let you fill in your excrement equivalent of choice here
Windows 7.... Well embraced
Windows 8? What does the trend predict?

Hey folks, Microsoft OSs are like Star Trek movies.... Every other one sucks....

Windows 95... Groundbreaking, but miserable as numerous devices and accessories worked poorly or not as well with it.
Windows Millenium ... Ford Edsel bad.. Shortest OS generation so far as they couldn't kill it fast enough.
Windows Vista .... I'll let you fill in your excrement equivalent of choice here

Don't forget about Windows 2000.

Good post. I think W2000 was more of a fork in the road than the main thread.

But I will take issue with your maligning the Edsel. Wouldn't you LOVE to own one today? Whereas there's no love lost on Windows ME.

I consider W2K more of a server based system...... Not too many PCs came with it as the primary OS in retail stores

As for the Edsel, the only reason it may be liked now is due to its rarity and notoriety...... At the time it was released it was a punch line (remember Peggy Sue Got Married's protagonist who laughed at her Dad for buying one?)

I consider W2K more of a server based system...... Not too many PCs came with it as the primary OS in retail stores
I think "Business/Enterprise Based" is more appropriate. It was hard to find in retail but I saw Win 2k everywhere in businesses and in my college. I loved it over 98, as it was more stable and reliable than 98 ever was. I remember one point my school laptop was on it's last legs with 98, as it was running horribly and kept crashing. Then I did an upgrade to 2000 (I still don't even know how I got a copy of it) and even though I did it the "wrong" way (we all know it's better to do a clean install than an upgrade of any OS) it was like I had a whole new computer.

Windows 2000 to me was the first good OS that Microsoft released. It had the stability of NT and the flexibility of 9x.

I think "Business/Enterprise Based" is more appropriate. It was hard to find in retail but I saw Win 2k everywhere in businesses and in my college. I loved it over 98, as it was more stable and reliable than 98 ever was. I remember one point my school laptop was on it's last legs with 98, as it was running horribly and kept crashing. Then I did an upgrade to 2000 (I still don't even know how I got a copy of it) and even though I did it the "wrong" way (we all know it's better to do a clean install than an upgrade of any OS) it was like I had a whole new computer.

Agreed on the overlay system being problematic. Win98 was the last retail package I purchased. If your system flaked, you had to reload the original OS first. Real PITA.

Agreed on the Enterprise label... Not being from that world, I was shielded from it, until it popped up on my new office server..... (I'm the closest thing to an IT department here, and our small 8 PC construction company (we sell commercial flooring).... I can swap out motherboards and power supplies when they crap out, but ask me to set up DHCP or something like that and my eyes glaze over... When it came time for server upgrades and maintenance, I called in the consultant)

2k is right up there with XP and W7 for me.

Glad to see the reduced pricing, they've toyed with this in the past with things like the family pack.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Good post. I think W2000 was more of a fork in the road than the main thread.

But I will take issue with your maligning the Edsel. Wouldn't you LOVE to own one today? Whereas there's no love lost on Windows ME.

I know I always wanted a car with a push button transmission.

Shortwave Radio

Apple gets patent for wearable device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts