I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
SBC and Microsoft team up for HDTV over IP Posted
Oct 21, 2004, 8:15 AM ET
by Dan Wu Related

We’re jazzed to hear high-def TV will soon be coming over Internet lines with SBC Communications’ Project Lightspeed; they intend to lay over 38,000 miles of fiber to bring 18 million households by 2007 up to speed with 15 to 20 Mbps, which, of course, should be more than enough bandwidth for HDTV. So SBC is teaming with Microsoft for IPTV services, which will provide an alternative to cable and satellite, with standard definition and high-def offerings, video on demand, and digital video recording. We’re sure it’s going to be heavily DRM-protected, but what can you do?

Editors Note: With bandwidth opening up such as this you can expect hybrid HDTV services where there is an increase in bandwidth for delivery of a program, thus making a qulity edge. The 1080p X 1920 format will become the first step up and will continue to put pressure on display makers. _DC

DarrellP said:
SBC and Microsoft team up for HDTV over IP Posted
Oct 21, 2004, 8:15 AM ET
by Dan Wu Related

We’re jazzed to hear high-def TV will soon be coming over Internet lines with SBC Communications’ Project Lightspeed; they intend to lay over 38,000 miles of fiber to bring 18 million households by 2007 up to speed with 15 to 20 Mbps, which, of course, should be more than enough bandwidth for HDTV. So SBC is teaming with Microsoft for IPTV services, which will provide an alternative to cable and satellite, with standard definition and high-def offerings, video on demand, and digital video recording. We’re sure it’s going to be heavily DRM-protected, but what can you do?

Editors Note: With bandwidth opening up such as this you can expect hybrid HDTV services where there is an increase in bandwidth for delivery of a program, thus making a qulity edge. The 1080p X 1920 format will become the first step up and will continue to put pressure on display makers. _DC

This should be awesome.

I wonder how they will phase their roll-out ... DMA ?

The 1080p X 1920 format will become the first step up and will continue to put pressure on display makers.
How are they going to pull this off in 20 mbps bandwidth? I thought 1080p required more than the 19.6 mbps bandwidth allocated for OTA?

I'm really going to be interested to see how they're going to do this, with their up to speeds quoted, especially with folks b*tching about D* cutthing back to 10Mbps to 12Mbps, what if you're at the far end of the copper (which is still what's going to the house) and you get only 8Mbps to 10Mbps??? What are they going to do when there's multiple HD receivers in ths house, where's that bandwidth coming from???

Maybe they will take fiber to the homes? That would be way cool.

DarrellP said:
Maybe they will take fiber to the homes? That would be way cool.

SBC says they're not going to the home but to a node withing about 3,500ft, if I remember, then use copper the rest of the way to reduce expenses.

DarrellP said:
How are they going to pull this off in 20 mbps bandwidth? I thought 1080p required more than the 19.6 mbps bandwidth allocated for OTA?
They will probably use the WM9 codec, which can cut in half the required bitrate. However, I still think that even 10 Mbps on the internet is a challenge.

So this will mean that you can get it only of you're less than 3,500 ft from the CO? That's shorter than for DSL!

riffjim4069 said:
I'm still a mile and a half too far away to receive DSL...looks like I'm screwed.

If I read it all correctly it is VDSL and I think that is 12,000 to 16,000 ft. from the CO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)