Might have to cancel dish

Pere845

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
Boise, Idaho
So, unfortunately, due to some personal matters might have to cut dish from our household, problem is I have one year left on my agreement and was wondering if I paused my service if that will help me out while I collect my early termination or how does that work and if I have a bill coming up does that also pause or do I have to pay it before pausing

But pause doesn’t reduce your commitment. Go into pause with 16 months left on your commitment, still have 16 months left when you exit pause. And you lose any discounts.

Have you considered dropping to the lowest possible package? Saves money and keeps that ticker going toward when your commitment is up.

But pause doesn’t reduce your commitment. Go into pause with 16 months left on your commitment, still have 16 months left when you exit pause. And you lose any discounts.

Have you considered dropping to the lowest possible package? Saves money and keeps that ticker going toward when your commitment is up.
Unfortunately, we might be moving to a house that does not allow dish installs which is the reason why we might have to drop it

• Sad
Reactions: navychop
You may be in a position where you have to walk away from it. Sure, you’ll take a hit on your credit rating. But how soon are you likely to get another job, one that would support a Dish subscription? Rhetorical, don’t answer. Not here, but maybe in your mind.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You may be in a position where you have to walk away from it. Sure, you’ll take a hit on your credit rating. But how soon are you likely to get another job, one that would support a Dish subscription? Rhetorical, don’t answer. Not here, but maybe in your mind.
That’s why I’m considering just pausing it while I can save up the early termination and then cancel it versus walking away and owing

And is that due at the time of pause, or when I unpause?
I'm not 100% sure on that but I'd assume whenever your bill is normally due.
For example if your bill is due on March 10th but you pause right now, you're still due a bill by the 10th. Because you are paying for the previous month, that you've already had service for. Then once that is paid your next bill may still have prorated charges from before you went on pause but already a new billing cycle. Then the following months would be $5.

That American Girl may be able to give a for sure answer.

Just to confirm--When you say walk away, do you mean just stop making payments, as opposed to paying the early termination fee? In other words, if I were to cancel my service and pay the termination fee, there would not be a hit on my credit rating?

Also, do you need to be a customer for a minimum amount of time, before you can initiate a pause in service? (I have only had Dish for a couple of months.)

Under your circumstances, talk to the Loyalty Dept and it's possible, not probable that you can get out of the rest of your contract due to limitations on installing the Antenna
I literally had typed out about just saying you're moving to an apartment that can't have dish but then I deleted it because, thought people in here might throw a fit about morals or something lol

I'm not 100% sure on that but I'd assume whenever your bill is normally due.
For example if your bill is due on March 10th but you pause right now, you're still due a bill by the 10th. Because you are paying for the previous month, that you've already had service for. Then once that is paid your next bill may still have prorated charges from before you went on pause but already a new billing cycle. Then the following months would be $5.

That American Girl may be able to give a for sure answer.

This is correct. But as Kat said, give them a call and explain the issue.

However, my condo/apt also doesn't 'allow' a dish to be installed d they do not want you attaching anything to the roof or the structure. My dish on my patio is on a tripod with some blocks on it to keep it secure, and since I have the privacy fence, it can't be seen so they allowed it.

Maybe something like that could work? It would depend on if you can get a good LOS obviously.

If there's any kind of negative credit reporting I would start calling authorities. The 2-year commitment, afaik, spells out an early-quitting cost that, as long as you pay it if you early-quit, your credit report should not be implicated.

If there's any kind of negative credit reporting I would start calling authorities. The 2-year commitment, afaik, spells out an early-quitting cost that, as long as you pay it if you early-quit, your credit report should not be implicated.
The hurting credit was in reference to just stop paying the bill, which after a few months of fling so will go to collections and that's what will hurt your credit.

Paying everything off has no affect on credit at all.