Missing center channel audio

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jimfitter

Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
Chicagoland area
I have no center channel output on NBC, CBS. All other Dolby digital channels are fine. Is this a known issue?
I have tried changing settings, including raising the center channel volume, and also rebooted my HR34/700 Genie. Nothing helped.

Any suggestions?

By "source", are you referring to the satellite signal?
I have checked all coax cables to insure they are tight. I also have a info display on my Denon AVR 3313CI receiver that shows the incoming Dolby Digital signal as 3/2/.1 .

Since the latest firmware is fairly new, do you think my update might have been corrupted? Is there a way to reinstall the current firmware?

By "source", are you referring to the satellite signal?
I have checked all coax cables to insure they are tight. I also have a info display on my Denon AVR 3313CI receiver that shows the incoming Dolby Digital signal as 3/2/.1 .

Since the latest firmware is fairly new, do you think my update might have been corrupted? Is there a way to reinstall the current firmware?

By current firmware, your talking about the software D* sent to your recvr ?

If so, then Yes there is a way to re load it.
The easiest way is to do a red button reset , behind door next to access card, recvr will shut down ... when it starts to come back up .... hit 02468. And it should find your recent software, it will tell you what it is loading ...
Unfortunately, I'm not home or I'd give you a different route.

I have now tried doing the reset with 02468, twice. It just takes me through the normal reset. Isn't there an update window on Fri. & Sat. night (11pm-?), when I should try that update?

By source I mean the network itself, not the satellite signal.

This is almost certainly a problem at the station(s).

By source I mean the network itself, not the satellite signal.
This is almost certainly a problem at the station(s).
Yes, that would make the most sense. Googling the internet, I haven't found anyone else with this problem, however. In a metro area the size of Chicago, you'd think someone else would have noticed this ongoing problem. (I noticed it yesterday).

When I went to tech support on DirecTV, the person on the phone didn't know what my center audio channel was, and suggested that I disconnect my surround sound.
Sweet Baby Jeebus!

If or when I figure this out, I'll post a follow-up here.

Thanks to all, for your time and help. :)

Last edited:
This problem is more frequent than you would expect. My local ABC station had no center audio for nearly a day before they fixed it.

This problem is more frequent than you would expect. My local ABC station had no center audio for nearly a day before they fixed it.
Ya, someone's gonna eventually fix it. But, now that I've noticed it, it's gonna bug me to death.
Time to search to see if the major networks have somewhere to report these broadcast/technical issues.

So why don't you contact the stations and let them know about it? They may be unaware.

You need to call/email the station engineer. The signal from the network must be fine otherwise everyone in the country would have the problem.

Ok, through no fault of my own, I now have center channel audio on CBS. Still no center channel audio on NBC.

Pretty damn odd, IMO.

DirecTV passes the audio that they get from the provider. If there is no center audio, that is because the stations are not sending it. By any chance did you tune to the OTA signal of the station to see if it was present there?

...By any chance did you tune to the OTA signal of the station to see if it was present there?
I'm too far from the antennae of downtown Chicago, to get a signal. If this is a conscious decision on their part, it's gotta be to save money. I wonder how much extra the center channel costs? :p

I'm too far from the antennae of downtown Chicago, to get a signal. If this is a conscious decision on their part, it's gotta be to save money. I wonder how much extra the center channel costs? :p

How far are you. I lived down by Kankakee and was able to get a reliable signal from all of Chicagoland's stations, to include WBBM!

No, it does not save any money. It's caused either by an error in setup or a faulty piece of equipment at the station.
Have you talked to the station engineer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts