MLB Extra Innings Now Available

I'm curious how MLB will let them sell a package without carriage agreements with several teams. The Mets dropped SNY years ago and I pretty much stopped watching baseball (between Madoff's theft forcing them to cut payrolls 60% so they spend as much as the Twins and them not finishing anywhere near .500 the last several years, I didn't cry too hard).

There's a way around those blackouts.... :)
Sure there is..A VPN....Soon enough MLB will catch up with that.
When I had MLB.tv I was using a zip that is a legitimate zip code but was not in MLB's data base. It was a new zip code that was added when the USPS built a new PO in town here.
Toward the end of the season, I received a message from MLB that their system did not or could not verify the zip code. So I had to use my "real" one....
VPN's are not fool proof.
For example, I have a friend who lives in a state where betting horse racing on line into a US based wagering site( ADW). In order to keep the account he used a VPN...A period of time went by and the Site's system flagged his account. The ADW could not identify the location of the computer he was using. Once that occurs, the ADW system "assumes" the user is betting from an unauthorized location. Shut down.

On Sunday I watched the NBA Lakers at Brooklyn Nets on Dish and they had the YES Network HD feed...
That's probabaly because the LA Feed was no available..
This happens on NHL CI when an MSG broadcast team( Devils, Rangers, Islanders) plays the Flyers which are on Comcast Philadelphia.

Hopefully this means Dish also has an agreement to be one of the providers that can authenticate through MLB.tv. In other words, MLB.tv subscribers who also subscribe to the appropriate tier Dish package will be able to watch their local team's games on MLB.tv without being blacked out.
According to the email I just got from DISH, the package includes MLB.tv

According to the email I just got from DISH, the package includes MLB.tv
That isn't exactly what I was referring to. My question is, as a Dish Network and MLB.TV subscriber, but not an Extra Innings subscriber, can I authenticate as a Dish subscriber through the MLB.TV app to avoid blackouts?

I was looking to see what games were going to be shown on opening day last night. I noticed that none of the MLB games that I can watch on the regional networks are going to be on the hd feeds. I wonder if it's because of Dish getting Extra Innings or because of something else?

Last year, the Dodgers were available in Extra Innings for DirecTV customers. Fans in LA could not watch the games, but the rest of the country could. I suppose Dish will have the same arrangements.

What is gained between the 2 ?
( dish extra inn vs mlbtv @ 195$ & 130$ respectively)
For instance:
Are strike zone & mlb channels included.
Any mosaic channels?

What is gained between the 2 ?
( dish extra inn vs mlbtv @ 195$ & 130$ respectively)
For instance:
Are strike zone & mlb channels included.
Any mosaic channels?

Strike Zone and MLB Network are not included in MLB.tv. I don't know if they are on Extra Innings. There is also no mosiac channel on MLB.tv (don't know about extra innings) but if you are watching on a computer you can do up to 4 games of your choice in split screen. The Xbox also had split screen in previous years but only for 2 games. Most other devices do not. A feature I find pretty cool is that you can choose to listen to the radio broadcast audio synced up with the television broadcast video instead of listening to the TV guys.

I can tell you that MLB.tv will also have more HD feeds than extra innings. MLB.tv gets both teams' feeds in HD for every game whether that comes from a normal RSN, Canadian RSN, RSN not offered on Dish, or an OTA channel. Most providers of Extra Innings are missing at least some of those broadcasts. You also won't have to worry about JIP HD or games that just aren't offered in HD at all with MLB.tv. Sometimes Dish just doesn't have enough bandwidth to put them all in HD.

There is something to be said for getting it over satellite instead of internet though. You have to decide if it's worth the extra $65 to have both options instead of just MLB.tv streaming. The great thing about MLB.tv being included with Extra Innings is you get the best of both worlds. If Dish ever doesn't have the HD feed you want to watch you can get it from MLB.tv instead.

Reactions: fhsucade07
Great post King3pj! Pretty much spells it all out. The only question is how long it will take Dish to sync with MLB so your Extra Innings subscription works with MLB.tv.

Reactions: king3pj
Sure there is..A VPN....Soon enough MLB will catch up with that.
When I had MLB.tv I was using a zip that is a legitimate zip code but was not in MLB's data base. It was a new zip code that was added when the USPS built a new PO in town here.
Toward the end of the season, I received a message from MLB that their system did not or could not verify the zip code. So I had to use my "real" one....
VPN's are not fool proof.
For example, I have a friend who lives in a state where betting horse racing on line into a US based wagering site( ADW). In order to keep the account he used a VPN...A period of time went by and the Site's system flagged his account. The ADW could not identify the location of the computer he was using. Once that occurs, the ADW system "assumes" the user is betting from an unauthorized location. Shut down.

That is not a good VPN to use then. The company I use and many use has a very definite location. Even when I go to google maps it says I am there. The problem can be speed when doing this, not location. Also how you set it up can have an effect. Further, a good company will only use the same ones for awhile so they do not become known. Three years now for me without a hitch (other than speed at times) for both domestic sites and watching shows from the BBC.

Reactions: krauser1
That is not a good VPN to use then. The company I use and many use has a very definite location. Even when I go to google maps it says I am there. The problem can be speed when doing this, not location. Also how you set it up can have an effect. Further, a good company will only use the same ones for awhile so they do not become known. Three years now for me without a hitch (other than speed at times) for both domestic sites and watching shows from the BBC.
Three years strong for me too. When the VPN reports various locations and not just one, its much harder to pin point where it is and lock it out.

Reactions: Tampa8
"PlayStation 3/4: Sony’s PlayStation 3 and 4 remain the gold standard for MLB.TV viewing. "
------
With 3 of these in the home and multiple other portable devices outside the home.
I still don't know what the 65$ gains me other than viewing a different input that carries the hoppA & not the ps4 .. BUT on the Same display. (???)
I guess the free preview will tell.

"PlayStation 3/4: Sony’s PlayStation 3 and 4 remain the gold standard for MLB.TV viewing. "
------
With 3 of these in the home and multiple other portable devices outside the home.
I still don't know what the 65$ gains me other than viewing a different input that carries the hoppA & not the ps4 .. BUT on the Same display. (???)
I guess the free preview will tell.

It gains you nothing assuming that you have a good internet connection and are comfortable using streaming devices. MLB.tv has more feeds and more features and it costs less money.

I have been a MLB.tv subscriber for at least 5 years and I wouldn't pay the extra $65 to get it from Dish. I have solid 60Mbps internet with no data caps. There are inherent issues with streaming services though. Every year that I can remember as a subscriber MLB.tv has had trouble on opening day. They get slammed by everyone trying to use it at once and the quality goes back and forth from HD to Vaseline screen constantly. I can almost guarantee that this will happen again this year.

Luckily this is usually only a problem for a couple days to a week. After that the demand dies down enough that they are able to keep a good quality HD stream all the time. In that first week it would be nice to have a cable/satellite feed to use instead of MLB.tv. Would I pay $65 more for that week? Absolutely not, but some people might decide it's worth it. Especially if they don't have the same quality internet that I do.

Reactions: Tampa8
In that first week it would be nice to have a cable/satellite feed to use instead of MLB.tv. Would I pay $65 more for that week? Absolutely not, but some people might decide it's worth it. Especially if they don't have the same quality internet that I do.

No $65 more needed if you have Dish, DTV or probably most cable providers. A free preview is provided for the first week of the season.

I was looking to see what games were going to be shown on opening day last night. I noticed that none of the MLB games that I can watch on the regional networks are going to be on the hd feeds. I wonder if it's because of Dish getting Extra Innings or because of something else?
No you're just looking too far out. If they don't update with the uplink today check back a day or two before and hd feeds will appear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm curious how MLB will let them sell a package without carriage agreements with several teams. The Mets dropped SNY years ago and I pretty much stopped watching baseball (between Madoff's theft forcing them to cut payrolls 60% so they spend as much as the Twins and them not finishing anywhere near .500 the last several years, I didn't cry too hard).
Digital rights are different
They added access to mlb TV..which kinda sorta circumvents the issue..at minimum you can see replays

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts