MOOV instead of HD PPV?

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
WHy does Voom waste its bandwidth with this loser instead of adding something that people want and will generate cash flow?

Excellent point, i wanna know when VOOM plans on adding their HD PPV lineup. I haven't heard anything lately in our forum about any plans in the near future about anything. Has anyone heard the latest on the HD PPV?

Luckily for us Boxing sucks right now. BUT not having Pay per view just doesn't make sense to me. If they can give us a free fight (which I do appreciate) how hard would it be to continue to do that but only have the channel turned on for people who call in and order it. Their only 30,000 of us, I'm sure they can handle about 10,000 phone calls in a week with people requesting a fight. It could be automated, press 1 if you want to pay $50 to watch Hopkins v De la Hoya. Sounds easy to me, am I missing something??

dnyce said:
am I missing something??

I think what we are missing is that Voom is growing in like 10 different directions at the moment.

There maybe only a combined total of 4 people working on DVR, new dish, WM9, new Cinema10, and PPV at the moment.

Dvlos said:
There maybe only a combined total of 4 people working on DVR, new dish, WM9, new Cinema10, and PPV at the moment.

Now that is scary, but I don't doubt it :eek:
I'll be patient, I've seen a lot of improvements to Voom in just the 3 months I've been here. So I am confident that good things are yet to come....

But it better be before Christmas :)

To me, PPV is just as wasteful as an HD RSN, very few people will utilize it and it hogs bandwidth. I'd rather see HDNET or INHD before a PPV HD. I admit it, I'm cheap and I would never purchase a PPV event.

I wouldn't pay for PPV either, but my god Voom needs some freaking dough! Will Voom even lose ONE customer if Moov is gone. I mean is there somebody, ANYBODY, out there who signed up for voom to get moov or will drop voom w/o it?

Personnel wise, how many people does it take to keep AuctionHD going? They have to have producers, camera & sound people, (ok, post-production may be shared with other channels). But it still cost $$$ for a channel with very limited apppeal. Die sucker die!

They could also change the content to SCI-FI HD, and to kick it off Voom could sign some exclusive deal to offer all the Star Wars movies, Aliens, and Terminator movies in 1080i HD. Think that could pull in some subs?

yeah, PPV would no doubt generate some revenue, but obvioulsly they don't have the infrastructure in place to do this, or surely they would have by now..
And can you honestly say you NEVER watch MOOV??
Actually, I am sure the reason stations like that and Auction HD are out there because VOOM wanted to brag about the large QUANTITY of HD channels they had, not the QUALITY of them...

I am cheap too, and wouldnt pay for most PPV stuff, but I bet there are plenty of folks that would..If VOOM has the infrastructure to do PPV, then I agree it would be wise to do it..

I agree, Voom should ditch Moov... and put a 24/7 Tank Channel in its place :D

Here is a list of the channels I think Voom should remove: Divine, Auction, A Couple of the Cinema Channels (not all of them, but they don't need as many as they have), and Channel 999 (unless Voom has some plan of getting a retailer who will use it as a display).

In their place: Add HDNet, InHD, RSN-HD, HD PPV, and up the bandwidth. With these changes, Voom would be unstoppable (IMO)...bwahahahaha.

*No need to reimburse me for the advice Voom, maybe just gimme some free PPV credits

vurbano said:
WHy does Voom waste its bandwidth with this loser instead of adding something that people want and will generate cash flow?
From what I was told, there are some other (technical) reasons for the PPV delay. Has nothing to do with MOOV "wasting" the bandwidth.

DarrellP said:
To me, PPV is just as wasteful as an HD RSN, very few people will utilize it and it hogs bandwidth. I'd rather see HDNET or INHD before a PPV HD. I admit it, I'm cheap and I would never purchase a PPV event.
I agree and I wouldnt use it either. But it would generate badly needed funds for Voom. Moov sure isnt doing that.

vurbano said:
Does a bear $hit in the woods?

If a tree falls in the forest, does anyone hear it??

I guess the answer to this, and to the "Does anyone watch MOOV" question is that YES, SOMEONE does!!!

On Sunday morning, you can watch about 30 channels of Church TV, Preacher TV, and all sorts of program of that nature..I woulld be surprised if ANYONE ON THIS BOARD ever watched any of those proggies, yet they still are televised all over the country..

My point being that not EVERY program or EVERY channel is going to have widespread appeal, but the Marketing executives at ALL multimedia companies try to address the BROAD interests of this country when they schedule their programs. Not everyone will like every offerring, but thats why we have 100+ channels to choose from.

Just like I tell my friends who hate Howard Stern; if you don't like him, then change the channel!!

wase4711 said:
Not everyone will like every offerring, but thats why we have 100+ channels to choose from.

Just like I tell my friends who hate Howard Stern; if you don't like him, then change the channel!!

Well, exept we DON'T have 100 channels. We have 21, 39 if you count the premiums, and we don't have sufficient bandwidth for them. Something gotta give.

barth2k said:
Well, exept we DON'T have 100 channels. We have 21, 39 if you count the premiums, and we don't have sufficient bandwidth for them. Something gotta give.

When I said 100+channels, I meant ALL channels, NOT just HD.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)