More Cozi fun

Status
Please reply by conversation.

billyboy_1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Southeast Missouri
Here is my latest find. This 1.8 meter antenna was on top of the local Ford dealer's roof. They were no longer using it so I asked them for it. Great signals on the trouble transponder 11840. Signals improved from 78% to 85%. The stock feed proved to be best after several tests were performed with other LNB'S. Not sure what the stock Ku LNB is but seemed to do just fine but being a single it didn't provide both polarities. Any input would be appreciated. The non-penetrating mount will have to be replaced with a pole later. Wrecker driver charged me $30 to load it up and drop it off at my house. I had it showing pictures in about ten minutes of delivery. I believe it to be a Prodelin 1.8 meter.

Attachments

• 1.8 m dish 011.JPG
    1.8 m dish 011.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 414
  • 1.8 m dish 014.JPG
    1.8 m dish 014.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 424
  • 1.8 m dish 015.JPG
    1.8 m dish 015.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 387
  • 1.8 m dish 017.JPG
    1.8 m dish 017.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 412
  • 1.8 m dish 019.JPG
    1.8 m dish 019.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 392
  • 1.8 m dish 020.JPG
    1.8 m dish 020.JPG
    906.8 KB · Views: 359
  • 1.8 m dish 022.JPG
    1.8 m dish 022.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 354
  • 1.8 m dish 029.JPG
    1.8 m dish 029.JPG
    729.9 KB · Views: 308
  • 1.8 m dish 030.JPG
    1.8 m dish 030.JPG
    972.4 KB · Views: 329
  • 1.8 m dish 037.JPG
    1.8 m dish 037.JPG
    871.6 KB · Views: 335
Reactions: Corrado
The $30 well worth it! Nice to load it up, carry it home, and unload without disassembling anything. Will have to have a look at the Ford dealers around here and see what they have kicking around.

Reactions: billyboy_1
I've read comments here that the dish finish does not really affect the amount of signal gathered for the feeder horn. Maybe its more about cosmetics than anything else, but I can't help but wonder that your signal should be higher than 85% on a 1.8 meter dish. My signal meter (MiniMe) for COZI TV is usually 83% on my 36" FS dish here in Toronto. Based on the TP beam coverage on site, like Lyngsat.com, the east coast is slightly higher in strength. Roughly half of Missouri signal is 48 FEC.

I have to say, that was a great find...are you planning to motorize it?

Does anyone know if there would if it would be advantageous to chance the feed system over to a Ku reveive only setup? I have done a little research and have found other feed systems for this same antenna that weren't for the transmit/receive. The feed that is on there is heavy and has no cover of any sort. Seems like a receive only feedhorn would be better. Input please. Thanks.

Yes a receive only system would be more efficient. There are dual polarity feed horns available for those dishes. I may have seen one on the forum here, maybe check the classified section and post a want add, can't hurt. Ebay might be a good place to look too.

Can the transmitter section be removed from the feedhorn or is it one piece? All you would need to do is add another LNB to replace the transmitter, they would be opposite polarity anyway, I would expect.

Last edited:
More testing today showed that with careful tweaking I did achieve about the same signals as with the factory feed. A feedhorn like Cham mentioned probably will provide better gain so I will be looking at what's available. I will be permanently installing this antenna on a pole later. See attached photos of today's progress. To answer Cham's question, No the feed and the waveguide is mounted to the body of the transmitter section. With some improvisation one could probably make a mount that would work. A receive only feed for that particular antenna might provide more gain with the feedhorn that was designed for it. Lots of fun testing this though.

Attachments

• 1.8 METER DISH 001.JPG
    1.8 METER DISH 001.JPG
    787.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 1.8 METER DISH 002.JPG
    1.8 METER DISH 002.JPG
    855.6 KB · Views: 248
  • 1.8 METER DISH 003.JPG
    1.8 METER DISH 003.JPG
    952 KB · Views: 244
  • 1.8 METER DISH 004.JPG
    1.8 METER DISH 004.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 272
  • 1.8 METER DISH 008.JPG
    1.8 METER DISH 008.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 248
  • 1.8 METER DISH 012.JPG
    1.8 METER DISH 012.JPG
    819.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 1.8 METER DISH 018.JPG
    1.8 METER DISH 018.JPG
    779.8 KB · Views: 271
'Think' you do want to keep the feed / scalar assembly / as it's 'matched' to the dish. I'd be investigating a C120 flange type LNBF onto that scalar Or modding a 'normal' one to 'fit'..
(I think Titanium did this - pics in a thread somewhere here)
(Mods, move this to the FTA section???)

'Think' you do want to keep the feed / scalar assembly / as it's 'matched' to the dish. I'd be investigating a C120 flange type LNBF onto that scalar Or modding a 'normal' one to 'fit'..
(I think Titanium did this - pics in a thread somewhere here)
(Mods, move this to the FTA section???)
Ok thanks.

I took the feedhorn off of the TX assembly to inspect it. I would like to see the post of someone fitting the c120 flange LNB onto this. As far as the LNB itself I am having trouble finding one except for on UK sites.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    908.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    655.6 KB · Views: 200
:) Thank you!

Used and sold the TWF-031 also. Gave as good of performance as the SNF-031 model.

You might want to read-up on the Inverto Black. The European forums really talk them up and they are a great value.

:) Thank you!

Used and sold the TWF-031 also. Gave as good of performance as the SNF-031 model.

You might want to read-up on the Inverto Black. The European forums really talk them up and they are a great value.
Yes looking at that one as well. I was concerned about mounting. Did you modify the original "shelf" type support on the antenna?

I have modified the 1.8m TX/RX model before, but not on my latest RX only Muzak dish testing.

There are some good examples on the site of members modifying the 1.8 TX/RX model for RX only configuration. I would definitely use the scalar/feed and place it in the exact position as the previous mount had it placed. This placement will perfectly illuminate the reflector.

I have modified the 1.8m TX/RX model before, but not on my latest RX only Muzak dish testing.

There are some good examples on the site of members modifying the 1.8 TX/RX model for RX only configuration. I would definitely use the scalar/feed and place it in the exact position as the previous mount had it placed. This placement will perfectly illuminate the reflector.
Thanks so much. I'll search for the posts.

Congrats billyboy_1 :) Those are beautiful dishes! I agree with using a Prodelin feedhorn. It's matched to that antenna model. Most lnbf feeds don't illuminate the antenna enough.
In addition to research here I would also recommend researching in the http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/ forum. FTA hobbyist Ku dishes get used way more in Europe than here in N. America.

Last edited:
Congrats billyboy_1 :) Those are beautiful dishes! I agree with using a Prodelin feedhorn. It's matched to that antenna model. Most lnbf feeds don't illuminate the antenna enough.
In addition to research here I would also recommend researching in the http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/ forum. FTA hobbyist Ku dishes get used way more in Europe than here in N. America.
Thanks for the link.

I set a pipe for this newest antenna and got it mounted permanently. Built a switch setup and tried to match a flange type LNB to the stock feedhorn. Although the feed did not perfectly the signals are exceptional. If anyone has a suggestion for a better matched feedhorn or perhaps an adapter please advise. The switch/diseqc systems seems to be working properly with three receivers online 2 of which are openbox S9's. The openbox receivers works correctly but when I bring an Amiko mini SD SE online things get a bit haywire. Not all transponders will appear on all units. Not sure what the problem is. Any help would be appreciated. Here are some pics of the latest work. BTW I found another identical antenna at the local Edward Jones office that doesn't appear to be hooked up any longer.

Attachments

• 004 (2).JPG
    004 (2).JPG
    779.3 KB · Views: 225
  • 007 (3).JPG
    007 (3).JPG
    807.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 010 (2).JPG
    010 (2).JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 218
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    691.4 KB · Views: 214
tried to match a flange type LNB to the stock feedhorn. Although the feed did not perfectly the signals are exceptional. If anyone has a suggestion for a better matched feedhorn or perhaps an adapter please advise. BTW I found another identical antenna at the local Edward Jones office that doesn't appear to be hooked up any longer.

thanks for the update billyboy_1. I see what you mean about the feed/lnb mismatch. there are so many different interface flanges. my suggestion is find out your antennas exact model # or part # (is the sticker on the back of the dish legible .... if so post a pic here). here's a good thread for you to read. http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/rebuilding-an-prodelin-andrew-1-8.326064/

look for a factory feedhorn for it. ok i was nice & did some searching for you (you're welcome ... its in the thread listed above btw) these guys sell prodelin stuff. https://www.sateng.com/satellite/receive-only-feeds/products.aspx

you can never have enough of those prodelin 1.8's (even to have spare equipment) so go get the EJ dish.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)