Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just got home and turned my VOOM on, and was greeted by the main guide menu telling us some more GOOD NEWS from VOOM.

What's it mean? Your guess is as good as mine.

It Says...
GOOD NEWS!
Voom announces plans for early expansion of its satellite capacity. VOOM continues to grow thanks to the enthusiasm and loyalty of its subscribers throughout the nation.

I don't know what it means...I just view it as VERY GOOD!! I'm willing to wait for the REST of the story, and very glad they are starting to tell us! :D

Good things come to those who wait...even if some people are highly critical about the length of the wait! :)

I have been thinking about it more...

Can't figure how they are expanding their Satellite Space Early...

Ahhh yes I figured it out!!!!

They went to STAPLES and purchased one of those EASY BUTTONS just like they show on the Staples commercials. :D :D :D

Here's a pic of the message for those that don't have Voom.

That was good Scott... :D :D :D

Attachments

• MVC-235F.JPG
    MVC-235F.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 1,333
Sounds like they're just stringing you guys along... If they can do it fine, but I dunno how they plan on expanding early when they're about to loose their satellite and have to transition...

Not sure.... Wouldn't it be something if more channels are added to ex-Rainbow (limbo) 1. That will put a good joke on Charlie's future Echostar XXX :)

Voom Forever

I LOVE VOOM , GOOD BLESS VOOM FOR NOT LETTING US DOWN, AND MR DOLAN,

Also, we deserve credit the fans and subscribers of voom for never giving up. May voom get even better and shine even brighter. Voom will be number one

Well they still got probably 6 or more months to use rainbow one so the expansion must be new stuff on 72 that they will be installing for customers than when they loose rainbow 1 they will transition to mpeg4 and put all the rainbow 1 stuff on amc-6

A guess....

I'm going to guess that they will up the SD channel selection - Maybe? By the way, the VOOM PQ is AWSEOME this evening - especially EquatorHD.

Rainbow-1 may be sold, but as part of the discounted sale VOOM may very well have exclusive use of the satellite/transponders for an undisclosed period of time. Who knows! I am very interested in seeing what happens next.

BTW, perhaps SatelliteGuys.US will have the full story regarding the "Good News" posted in the VOOM Forum by the time I wake up tomorrow morning...hint, hint...nugde, nudge... ;) ... ;)

BFG said:
Well they still got probably 6 or more months to use rainbow one so the expansion must be new stuff on 72 that they will be installing for customers than when they loose rainbow 1 they will transition to mpeg4 and put all the rainbow 1 stuff on amc-6

I would not be so fast and count Rainbow 1 out until final decision is made... There could be hidden surprises but again I am just dreaming and woke up.

I saw it and was curious too. Almost Soviet in its crypticness! Go Voom! Regional sports nets in time for baseball! Yay! I love exclamation points!

GOOD NEWS! (news from voom on voom menu)

I just pressed voom for the first time today, and noticed a message where there is normally movie alerts. It reads:
"Good News!
VOOM announces plans for early expansion of its satellite capacity. VOOM continues to grow thanks to the enthusiasm and loyalty of its subscribers throughout the nation."

I would take this as a sign that they are going to put up a new bird, or leaseback Rainbow-1. We'll see. I would also take this as a message letting us know to stand by for changes (repointing our dishes, etc)

Hey guys, maybe this senario might be feasible. Sean or Scott may be able to shine some light on it:
Has anyone thought of the fact that the current receivers are already capable of mpeg4 with the insertion of a PCMCIA card into the slot on the right side of the receiver. These could be mailed to customers to be self-installed with a little instruction. It would not be hard. After that and a reboot and possible download of new software, or not, considering that mpeg4 enablement might be dormant in the software already. This could make room for quite a few new channels on Rainbow 1 until the FCC makes its decisions. No repositioning of the dishes for now. What do you think? Am I correct in that there are some still unused TPs on Rainbow 1 that could be enabled in the interim?

I agree this is probably just a sign on Mpeg4. Not overly exciting. I imagine mpeg4 is not as high of quality as mpeg2, just more bandwidth.

Don't everyone jump at once. I am sick of hearing people at dbstalk speculate about directv Mpeg4. There is a guy over there claiming he has the spec, pricing plan, and trade in plan for DTV's new equipment. I say BS until DTV makes a real announcement.

anyway.

I am excited... i just want a dvr so i can sack DTV... ahopefully theyll be able to up quality a lil bit for the SD channels with MPEG4. SD quality blows on VOOm to say the least.