More installer humor. (Grounding related)

As said above, grounding is a CYA for an installer and the company the installer works for. If lighting stikes and ungrounded system then the installer could be liable to replace everything that was destroyed. If you ground and lighting strikes you have a case to plea with.

Truce!?

I think at this point, we are all well rounded on grounding. I can't believe how much tube I have missed in this discussion. Do you think they would give me a rebate and a free grounding kit? Just kidding. Electrically and Electronically speaking, ground, if you don't give a hoot, dont'! For one, I've been battleing with crap cable. Finally got my signal to hold when I switch channels. Now, if it holds when it rains like my son's 111 does, I will do somersaults and spit bb's at the same time. Otherwise it will be another search for the ultimate piece of cable!!! I whish Big lot's still had those RCA rg6/u 100 footers for $4.50, cause that's what I got on his. I'd steal his but then I'd have to tear the whole place up. And go figure, I installed his all on my own!!! Maybe I should have done the original. Of course, that was not the deal at the time!!! :eek: :smug

All my stuff is grounded but I do not by any means anticipate it doing anything with a direct hit. In fact, the NEC requiring grounding is probably more in case the dish antenna somehow becomes energized the electricity has some place to go other than whatever random person happens to touch it, not for lightning protection.

Actually grounding serves three important purposes:

1. Dissipate static electrical build-up caused by mechanical forces (wind blowing across dish).

2. Direct faults in connected electrical devices to ground

3. Deter lightning by preventing charge build-up which would create leaders

The NEC requires that BOTH the dish AND all coax lines be grounded, #10 copper or #8 aluminum from the dish and from the ground blocks to the ground.

The ground used MUST be HOUSEHOLD ELECTRICAL GROUND which means NO independent ground rods unless they are NEC compliant in nature and installation AND backstrapped per NEC to HOUSEHOLD ELECTRICAL GROUND. That is the crux of it.

Too many installers ground if at all to gas lines, oil tank pipes, garden hose spigots, etc. If a ground loop fault is created in your system, it can cause fire, electrocution, death.

Statistically, more lightning strikes are NOT to grounded dishes. The installer lied blatantly.

What DOES happen is that the ground can act as an antenna, receive a good EM pulse from a NEARBY lightning blast, and carry it back to the receiver. A surge suppressor rated for DBS is always a good idea.

Wayd Wolf said:
Actually grounding serves three important purposes:
Its Dead man! Let it go! We already discussed all the issues!!! Connect your ground and let it go!!! :smug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)