Motorized receivers: do any display status as moving?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

oncewaslost

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Do any of the popular receivers display a pulse count, or any kind of status while the motor is moving?

Both my Coolsat 5000 and Diamond 9000HD have a horizontal bar that fills and says "Moving To".

The only real feedback you have indicating the dish is indeed moving is to watch the signal quality level change. This assumes you're moving to a satellite with an active transponder.

Depending on the software in the Coolsat

Version 1.01 will show that but 1.00 will not (I have 1.00 in mine)

Pansat 9200 does. The one drawback is if you go to a satellite with no active channels on it at the time (AMC9 or AMC2 come to mind) it (moving to AMC9.....) stays on the screen

It seems like it would be a simple thing to do. Maybe the technology does not allow for feedback to the receiver.

CaptiveWorks receivers have a "moving motor" pop up with the seconds counting down. It's not perfectly accurate, but close enough.

I think the motor does not provide any kind of feedback, all the receiver knows is it sent the motor a command. It could "estimate" how long it should take to get there and provide a progress bar of some sort but it could be entirely inaccurate depending on how fast the motor moves.

exactly....and when you select a H polarity transponder the motor moves faster (since its sending 18 volts to the motor) so it takes less time to move across the arc when you pick a H transponder

good idea, Iceberg

Now that you bring that up . . .

You'd think the FTA-box manufacturers would get the idea that maybe applying 18 volts during a motor-move might make more sense!

And as for knowing how the &*%$ long it takes to go from one bird to another, it could self-calibrate!!!
If it was no more than 80% accurate (say, erring on the short side), it would still be fine!

SatelliteAV, are you listening? - :eureka

exactly....and when you select a H polarity transponder the motor moves faster (since its sending 18 volts to the motor) so it takes less time to move across the arc when you pick a H transponder
That's pretty cool to know.... makes sence

Automatically applying 18V during a motor move would also change the LNBF polarity to Horizontal. This may not be desirable as the polarity would remain in the horizontal mode until the receiver times out on the move command to insure that the motor has landed. This could prevent the reception of a vertical channel until the receiver times out on the move command. Probably best just to continue to allow the customer to select a horizontal channel if they want a faster move time between satellites.

Timing between the satellites could also be variable depending on wind, ice weight displacement loading.

Good ideas, but probably would not translate well in the real word.

exactly satav

When I want to go to G10 I just select UWTV or Research TV...the dish gets there quicker :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts