Moxi Versus TiVo

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
I'm considering buying a TiVo HD DVR. I've seen Moxi's new [non-cable company provided] HD DVR on the internet though. The Moxi HD DVR seems more expensive than TiVo's HD XL DVR(which I have considered,but would rather go with the HD DVR & add an external hard drive),but there is no monthly fee. TiVo is cheaper,but you have a monthly fee(I'd rather just pay up front for the whole year). Anybody familiar with both DVR's have any advice. I'd be using either DVR with a Cablecard & Charter cable.

At this point, I look at the Moxi as a rebel's choice. It is the only serious competition TiVo has, and it has some advantages, but the long-term view puts TiVo in the driver's seat. Digeo recently sold the Moxi line because they cannot make money on it. How well will it be supported over time? Who knows? Meanwhile, TiVo also cannot make money, but has a decade-long history of supporting their product anyway.

By the way, you can pay $399 extra up-front and never have to pay a monthly fee with TiVo.

At this point, I look at the Moxi as a rebel's choice. It is the only serious competition TiVo has, and it has some advantages, but the long-term view puts TiVo in the driver's seat. Digeo recently sold the Moxi line because they cannot make money on it. How well will it be supported over time? Who knows? Meanwhile, TiVo also cannot make money, but has a decade-long history of supporting their product anyway.

By the way, you can pay $399 extra up-front and never have to pay a monthly fee with TiVo.
But the Tivo lifetime subscription is in addition buying the hardware. IMO, the Moxi is less espensive to own since they dropped the prices down to $499...with no subscription fees. Of course, just how long a "lifetime" will be for the Moxi is unknown as you mentioned.

But the Tivo lifetime subscription is in addition buying the hardware. IMO, the Moxi is less espensive to own since they dropped the prices down to $499...with no subscription fees. Of course, just how long a "lifetime" will be for the Moxi is unknown as you mentioned.

Of course, the same thing could be said out the TIVO. They have been staying alive on the promise of revenue from litigation and technology licensing, and not revenue from the products. They will eventually be sold for the IP, and who knows what will happen to the product support.

Indeed... The fact that the Moxi -- all in -- was more expensive than the TiVo -- all in -- was ridiculous. With the situation now reversed, there is a better match between the price being charged and the value being offered. However, again, it really comes down to whether or not you want to be the guinea pig for something new, or whether you want to pay a little more and latch onto the more well-established bandwagon. Regardless of which choice you make, either way, it absolutely is a risk. Neither company is making money on these units. As such, their future is always in question. Having said that, I tend to doubt that the TiVo, at least, would cease operations -- given its recent legal successes and its firmly-established reputation in the marketplace, at worst, someone stronger will buy it, and so legacy TiVo owners will be supported regardless, in accordance with the current terms and conditions.

Of course, the same thing could be said out the TIVO. They have been staying alive on the promise of revenue from litigation and technology licensing, and not revenue from the products. They will eventually be sold for the IP, and who knows what will happen to the product support.
That's really a big difference between the two: TiVo has significant IP that offers another company substantial incentive to acquire TiVo intact, rather than waiting for a fire sale. That's the main reason why I suggested, above, that on-going product support for TiVo is really not a significant concern.

The only thing is that I havent seen where you can extract from the Moxi. If that can be done then its the cats meow with its HD menus

Extract? Hmm.... The Moxi has a new product, that comes with a remote unit, called a Moxi Mate, that you can connect to another television in your home, and use to view programming recorded and stored on your base Moxi DVR. I think the Moxi + Moxi Mate is $800.

That's really a big difference between the two: TiVo has significant IP that offers another company substantial incentive to acquire TiVo intact, rather than waiting for a fire sale.
The problem with this theory is that the longer the litigation goes on (and I wouldn't use the term "success" in any event), the less likely TiVo will be able to hold on to some of their most important IP. The Patent Office is making some rumbles about the overly broad language of some of the the patents so I can see it going either way.

As the TiVo service isn't a money maker and TiVo is the more likely candidate for a buy-out, I'd be equally or more concerned about future hardware support from TiVo (and terrified of paying Weaknees prices for same).

I think the key is to figure on getting about three years worth of use out of whatever you spend and see how that pencil's out.

The problem with this theory is that the longer the litigation goes on (and I wouldn't use the term "success" in any event), the less likely TiVo will be able to hold on to some of their most important IP. The Patent Office is making some rumbles about the overly broad language of some of the the patents so I can see it going either way.
I think you're giving way too much credit to the concerns. TiVo's legal proceedings have gone in their favor. No question people are upset about that and trying to undercut it -- it would be shocking if that was not the case.

Regardless, TiVo's IP is worth far far far far far more than Moxi's.

As the TiVo service isn't a money maker and TiVo is the more likely candidate for a buy-out,
Which means the service is supported. As opposed to just terminating the product line, in which case support would be cut-off.

I'd be equally or more concerned about future hardware support from TiVo
I cannot account for that misjudgment. It isn't even a matter of your lack of confidence regarding TiVo -- I can understand that -- but rather I cannot account for your over-estimation regarding Moxi.

Does anybody know if Moxi has a Native feature for viewing HD programing? I believe TiVo has it,but I coudn't find if Moxi had it on their web site. I just like watching HD as the networks broadcast it,even if it slows down changing channels.
As far as the future of TiVo goes,wouldn't its future prospects also ride on its future joint DVR with D*?

This probably isn't the place to discuss the merits of the lawsuit. We already have a dozen threads doing that. Let's try to help royrdsjr.

I apologize for getting us off topic. It was inadvertent. Sorry, but I don't know much about the Moxi.

As far as the future of TiVo goes,wouldn't its future prospects also ride on its future joint DVR with D*?
Not overwhelmingly so. Surely that'll be one significant factor, but TiVo made a lot of money from Comcast, for their efforts to port TiVo software on the Motorola DCT-/DCH-/DCX- platform, even despite its mediocre results. They have other, similar irons in the fire. For example, RCN will soon start deploying "real" TiVo's as their de facto rented DVR. TiVo also is working with Time Warner Cable on a deal similar to the Comcast deal.

Which means the service is supported. As opposed to just terminating the product line, in which case support would be cut-off.
I think it is silly to assume that the TiVo service would continue through a buy-out. If it doesn't make money (and clearly the service isn't a profit machine) or the buyer is interested only in brokering (or flushing down the toilet ala Microsoft) the IP, it goes away.
I cannot account for that misjudgment.
You haven't shown where it is flawed.
-- but rather I cannot account for your over-estimation regarding Moxi.
I'm not overestimating Moxi. I claim that it is their lack of various attractive attributes that makes them less of a candidate for a change of ownership.

I think it is silly to assume that the TiVo service would continue through a buy-out.
When a company is sold to another company, the acquiring company inherits all of the acquired company's liabilities. The only way to avoid that is to wait for Chapter 7 liquidation, and it is clear that TiVo's IP is worth enough to ensure that it won't get that far.

You haven't shown where it is flawed.I'm not overestimating Moxi. I claim that it is their lack of various attractive attributes that makes them less of a candidate for a change of ownership.
That's silly. They've already been subject to a change in ownership. :rolleyes:

When a company is sold to another company, the acquiring company inherits all of the acquired company's liabilities. The only way to avoid that is to wait for Chapter 7 liquidation, and it is clear that TiVo's IP is worth enough to ensure that it won't get that far.

I can easily think of a half dozen ways of getting out of the lifetime service contract liability. The trendy one right now would be to spin off a new company that holds the IP and possibly the software core, and then let the product company have the TIVO boxes as well as the liability for the service contracts. You can then let that company go chapter7 and still protect the IP and software core.

Just ask GM.

Not true

Tivo makes most of their money on TivoCasts to government and hospital closed circuit programming.

The money is not in the units, it is in the Tivocasting.

Extract? Hmm.... The Moxi has a new product, that comes with a remote unit, called a Moxi Mate, that you can connect to another television in your home, and use to view programming recorded and stored on your base Moxi DVR. I think the Moxi + Moxi Mate is $800.
Extraction is free with the tivohd. I can pull any recording off of my two in HD and do WHATEVER I want too with them. Im not talking about simple mickey mouse streaming from the DVR. Im talking about placing the files on computer servers, or BD media etc for playback anytime or anywhere I want. If you have extraction then you never have to mess with Tivo HD size limitations or playing musical chairs with external drives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)