Mpeg-1.5??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shultz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
87W 40N
I was looking around on lyngsat and found on one of the Anik sats (F1R i think) some channels with MPEG-1.5 encoding. What is this and what kind of box decodes this? Just curious, never seen or heard of this one before.

I was looking around on lyngsat and found on one of the Anik sats (F1R i think) some channels with MPEG-1.5 encoding. What is this and what kind of box decodes this? Just curious, never seen or heard of this one before.

That's what Directv uses I believe.

"Broadcasters wanted the enconomy of digital transmission, but because MPEG-1 was not suitable for satellite and MPEG-2 was still being developed, a "bastardized" flavor of MPEG which I call MPEG-1.5 was created. This format is not a official standard, but is still used for satellite (CNN Airport network uses MPEG-1.5). MPEG-1.5 uses a wide bandwidth MPEG-1 flavor of video encoding along with multiplexing of data streams which allows multiple programs to be transmitted across one satellite channel at a time."

North American MPEG-2 Information

I would guess they were commercial boxes? I remember when WOR (about the time they became WWOR) changed from analog VideocipherII to mpeg 1.5, and we lost the ability to receive it. I don't remember ever seeing a way to get access to one of those receivers? Not too long after that, DigicipherII came out and most people went that route, but I don't think WWOR ever did DigicipherII. Digicipher II was/is an mpeg 2 stream.
I would say it's been around since the early 90's, maybe late 80's..???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dual LNB's and multiswitches

advice for buying new receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts