Multi-switch

Kosmos

Original poster
Apr 18, 2024
Vancouver
Multiswitch.jpg

I am having a problem getting a multi-switch to work with my setup. I have a 10 foot dish with a Titanium C 238 LNBF and a 36 inch dish with a universal dual output LNBF (LO frequency 9.75/10.6). My multi-switch is the one above.

I noticed on my STB that it won't allow me to toggle the 22 khz when I select the LO frequency 9.75/10.6 for my Ku LNBF. The C-Band at 5150 allows me to toggle the 22 khz, so I ran the 2 outputs from the Titanium C 238 LNBF to the 17V/22 khz and the 13V/22 khz on the multi-switch. I then connected the 2 outputs from my universal Ku LNBF to the 17V/0 khz and the 13V/0 khz on the multi-switch. I get absolutely no signal on the STB on C or Ku.

The system has been working fine with a diseqc switch. I want to add a multi-switch so I can add another STB and a TBS tuner card. I also have a very long cable run and want to power the LNB'S from the multi-switch. I would appreciate any advice.

That multiswitch you need to use regular LNB's (with LNB LO 10750). Since the switch does the 22k on the LNB is stuck at 9750.
You cant use a switch with a 22k option alongside a LNB that requires it

I then connected the 2 outputs from my universal Ku LNBF to the 17V/0 khz and the 13V/0 khz on the multi-switch.

Does this mean that you have a twin (dual output) universal LNB?
When you use only the high band of that, you should use the 22kHz ports of the multiswitch for that.
So you could define the universal LNB as a high band LNB, with just LOF 10600, and 22kHz ON.
The C-band LNB then would go on the 0 kHz ports.

But I don't understand why your C-band LNB wasn't working with your multiswitch, on the 22kHz ports.
Did you disconnect and connect cables, with power of your STBs absolutely switched off? (If no, some STBs go in semi-permanent protect mode.)

Greetz,
A33

Reactions: Kosmos
Thank you to Mr Tony and a33 for your reply. I am using a twin (dual output) universal LNB. I can't remember the name, it is up on the roof.

If I connect only the C-Band Titanium LNBF to the multi-switch it works fine giving me both polarities. It is when I connect the Ku LNBF is when things stop working.

Quick question, why does my STB not allow me to toggle the 22Khz tone on LO frequency 9.75/10.6 but will allow on most other LO frequencies?

If I use LOF 10600 won't I lose my lower Ku band?

Thanks

Quick question, why does my STB not allow me to toggle the 22Khz tone on LO frequency 9.75/10.6 but will allow on most other LO frequencies?

A universal LNB switches internally on 22kHz: no 22kHz=low band, 22kHz = high band.
So you cannot toggle manually; your receiver does that automatically for a universal LNB.

With just high band (single LOF 10600, 22kHz ON) you could receive 11550 to 12750 (IF 950 to 2150, that is what receivers can manage). So yes you would lose a great part of the lower band.

So when you want to receive 4 quadrants Ku-band and 2 quadrants C-band, this multiswitch is not suitable, as it can manage only 4 quadrants in total.

Edit: it supports wideband LNBs though, it seems from the internet ( https://www.tonercable.com/pdf/satellite_if_multiswitches.pdf ), which normally have LOF 10400 or 10410. Can your receivers manage that?

If I connect only the C-Band Titanium LNBF to the multi-switch it works fine giving me both polarities. It is when I connect the Ku LNBF is when things stop working.
This I do not understand the reason for, ATM.

Edit: do you use the external power supply?

Greetz,
A33

A universal LNB switches internally on 22kHz: no 22kHz=low band, 22kHz = high band.
So you cannot toggle manually; your receiver does that automatically for a universal LNB.

With just high band (single LOF 10600, 22kHz ON) you could receive 11550 to 12750 (IF 950 to 2150, that is what receivers can manage). So yes you would lose a great part of the lower band.

So when you want to receive 4 quadrants Ku-band and 2 quadrants C-band, this multiswitch is not suitable, as it can manage only 4 quadrants in total.

Edit: it supports wideband LNBs though, it seems from the internet ( https://www.tonercable.com/pdf/satellite_if_multiswitches.pdf ), which normally have LOF 10400 or 10410. Can your receivers manage that?

This I do not understand the reason for, ATM.

Edit: do you use the external power supply?

Greetz,
A33
I checked on Lyngsat and there aren't any Ku satellites that have frequencies below 11550 anyway so I should get everything using LOF 10600, 22kHz ON. I will give that a try.

Just wondering, do they make a multi-switch that will work with a universal LNB?

I am using the external power supply.

Just wondering, do they make a multi-switch that will work with a universal LNB?

Well yes, the one you have will work that way. It has 4 ports for the 4 quadrants of your universal quad LNB.13/18V for vert/hor and 0/22kHz for low/high band.
When you want to have more LNBs connected, choose a 8/x multiswitch; or even a 16/x multiswitch for 4 universal LNBs.

In fact, a quad universal LNB has a multiswitch inside.
And most multiswitches can work with quatro universal LNBs: with 4 ports each carrying just one quadrant of signal: low-vert, low-hor, high-vert, high-hor.
So there is a difference between quad LNBs, and quatro LNBs, though both have 4 outputs.

In recent years also wideband LNBs have been developed, having low and high band in just one frequency range (but no longer able to be combined with terrestrial signal or cableTV signal!). Often used with "unicable/JESS" multiswitches.

Universal LNBs are mostly used in Europe, as there the TV channels come in both low band and high band. In North America, mostly high band is used I believe?

Greetz,
A33

Reactions: Kosmos
I checked on Lyngsat and there aren't any Ku satellites that have frequencies below 11550 anyway...
Exactly. In eastern Canada, I used to use a universal LNB to catch things from the "far eastern" satellites on the arc. But now from western Canada, I replaced my universal LNB with a standard LNB since there is no purpose to scan below 11700 MHz anyway here unless you can catch the elusive Tahiti satellite at 180E that's too low in the western sky for most to catch.

Reactions: Brct203 and Kosmos
Well yes, the one you have will work that way. It has 4 ports for the 4 quadrants of your universal quad LNB.13/18V for vert/hor and 0/22kHz for low/high band.
When you want to have more LNBs connected, choose a 8/x multiswitch; or even a 16/x multiswitch for 4 universal LNBs.

In fact, a quad universal LNB has a multiswitch inside.
And most multiswitches can work with quatro universal LNBs: with 4 ports each carrying just one quadrant of signal: low-vert, low-hor, high-vert, high-hor.
So there is a difference between quad LNBs, and quatro LNBs, though both have 4 outputs.

In recent years also wideband LNBs have been developed, having low and high band in just one frequency range (but no longer able to be combined with terrestrial signal or cableTV signal!). Often used with "unicable/JESS" multiswitches.

Universal LNBs are mostly used in Europe, as there the TV channels come in both low band and high band. In North America, mostly high band is used I believe?

Greetz,
A33
Got it working! I did a Ku blind-scan using LOF 10600, 22kHz ON, and it doesn't miss any frequencies. Thank you for not only your help, but the education. I now have a decent understanding of how multi-switches and Universal LNBF's work.