Multiple Hopper issues. Should I pursue a new Hopper?

PJW99

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 22, 2007
I have been setup with 1 Hopper and 1 Joey since September 2012. The setup has worked flawlessly for us up until the past few weeks. Lately for some reason my dish network remote for the Hopper in the living room has been getting more and more of a delayed response when I try and change the channel or go to my DVR recordings. This has caused me to reboot the receiver more frequently. When I call Dish tech support to troubleshoot they have me manually reboot the receiver and when it comes back online everything works perfectly. So I have never been able to catch the problem with Dish Tech Support on the phone.

About the same time this problem started happening, I noticed that my wife and I were losing recordings of 2 of our favorite shows from 4 months ago (Revolution and Hawaii Five 0). When we access the deleted recordings they don't show up there so I don't know how or why they are disappearing from the hard drive. We only have 50% of the hard drive filled and we don't have a "maximum # of recordings" set for both shows. Anybody have an idea why they would disappear?

What do all of you think? Should I try and replace our 2 receivers, or hope these issues will fix themselves with the next update?

I had a Hopper replaced because of slowness leading to freezing, but I don't think I lost any recordings. It would freeze on it's own but I could induce it by pausing a recording and then doing searches. Response to key pushes would get longer and longer until there was none. It took a few calls but they replaced it. The Joey is probably OK though.

I have been setup with 1 Hopper and 1 Joey since September 2012. The setup has worked flawlessly for us up until the past few weeks. Lately for some reason my dish network remote for the Hopper in the living room has been getting more and more of a delayed response when I try and change the channel or go to my DVR recordings. This has caused me to reboot the receiver more frequently. When I call Dish tech support to troubleshoot they have me manually reboot the receiver and when it comes back online everything works perfectly. So I have never been able to catch the problem with Dish Tech Support on the phone.

About the same time this problem started happening, I noticed that my wife and I were losing recordings of 2 of our favorite shows from 4 months ago (Revolution and Hawaii Five 0). When we access the deleted recordings they don't show up there so I don't know how or why they are disappearing from the hard drive. We only have 50% of the hard drive filled and we don't have a "maximum # of recordings" set for both shows. Anybody have an idea why they would disappear?

What do all of you think? Should I try and replace our 2 receivers, or hope these issues will fix themselves with the next update?

Have you tried unplugging your Hopper and after a couple of minutes plugging it back in?

The first issues could simply be related to a recent software version that Dish pushed and has since been updated (and resolved the issues). What s/w version do you have on the Hopper ? Should be S425.

Deleted recordings only remain in the deleted folder for 24 hours, I think, so if it's after that, you won't find them there. They only go there if you delete them as well. Presuming the worst case, i.e. the hard drive is failing, the recordings don't generally disappear. They will still show up, you'll just get an error when you try and play them back. Finally the max-number-of-recordings setting is 'on' by default and set to (20), as I recall. Do you have that many of either ?

Thanks everyone. Im not sure what software version Im using. Oddly enough the missing programs showed up again this morning, but have now disappeared again. I think this may be related to another problem Im having with Prime Time Anytime. Half of the time now when I try to access recordings in the Prime Time Anytime Folder nothing will appear. After getting frusterated and exiting out of the screen for a few minutes and coming back, the PTAT recordings reappear.

You will find the software version by pushing the "Menu" button twice. You can save more recorded events by going to "Settings">"DVR Defaults">"DVR Timer Defaults".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts