My Brand New Channel Master 1.2M dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

beavs2112

Addicted to Legal FTA
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
London Ontario Canada
Hi guys & gals. I'm VERY happy :love with my two brand new 1.2m offset dishes so I thought I'd share some pics.

I wanted to upgrade from my steel 39in dish. I went to a dealer who had what they described as "plastic" dishes. I was curious what they were talking about. So when they wheeled out the dusty boxes and I saw Skyware Global (ex Channel Master) on them I was stunned. So for US$ 213 I received 2 brand new dishes with fixed az/el mounts, 2 brand new Skyware Global three inch galvanized pipe wall/roof mount kits. The dishes also came with Sharp brand North American Ku circular DSS lnbf's (I'm not going to use these however cause our North American ku FTA signals are linear). Apparently the package of dish & mount & lnbf was designed for fringe areas where the DSS signal is weak.
so I treated myself to a skyware global dual linear polarity wideband ku feedhorn & two NJR wideband ku lnb's to put on it. Model # NJR2842H.
I found an old 7.5 ft c-band mesh dish that was in really rough shape locally but the price was right (free in exchange for removal labor). So I modified that polar mount to accept one of the 1.2m dishes. I'm going to put up one of the dishes soon for the Atlantic region satellites. Pushing the dish to view the Clarke Belt will be a refurbished and repainted Von-Wiese 24inch 36v actuator with a diseq V-box 7.

Kevin

WP_20141111_001.jpg WP_20141125_012.jpg WP_20141125_011.jpg

Excellent price for what you received and they are fantastic dishes. I'd be thrilled too if I were you!

Very nice!

I'd like to do a polar mount on one of my 1.2m dishes. I for one would love to see for more photos when you get it setup.

already taken care of MS :) yes building in the additional offset was one of the trickier mods to the mount. so basically it goes down to a much lower elevation angle now. also I wanted to modify it so the dish sits in the center of the mount ring. the previous owners had the mesh dish offset to the right. I also welded on more nuts to the mount cap. they only had nuts at about the 120 deg & 240 degree mark so I added some @ the 360 deg location.

Reactions: catamount
You must NOT change the Elevation or Motor Latitude of the polar mount. You must change the angle that the dish attaches to the polar mount.

Your dish looks very similar to the dish I have. It has a 22.6 degree offset. It had to be tilted down by 22.6 degrees, but the Elevation or Motor Latitude (from Dishpointer) is the same as for prime focus.

Reactions: beavs2112
Don't forget, those are offset dishes and your mount is for Prime focus. You will need to build in about a 30° offset into the mount to get it to track correctly.

You must NOT change the Elevation or Motor Latitude of the polar mount. You must change the angle that the dish attaches to the polar mount.

Your dish looks very similar to the dish I have. It has a 22.6 degree offset. It had to be tilted down by 22.6 degrees, but the Elevation or Motor Latitude (from Dishpointer) is the same as for prime focus.

Yes indeed.

Here are a couple of threads you can study if you are unsure of what Magic and lamp are saying:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/new-project-primestar-to-polar-mount.100414/

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/prodelin-1-2m-offset-on-birdview-h-h-mount.184324/

Reactions: beavs2112
BIG thanks to MagicStatic, lamp & phlatwound for pointing me straight (the links really helped). That will save me a lot of frustration & aggravation. I thought you could account for the offset by lowering the elevation but now I see that is incorrect. So I'll pull the dish & mount off and get to work fixing it.
as the marvin the martian said back to ye old drawing board :)

Reactions: Magic Static
Hi guys & gals. I'm VERY happy :love with my two brand new 1.2m offset dishes so I thought I'd share some pics.

I wanted to upgrade from my steel 39in dish. I went to a dealer who had what they described as "plastic" dishes. I was curious what they were talking about. So when they wheeled out the dusty boxes and I saw Skyware Global (ex Channel Master) on them I was stunned. So for US$ 213 I received 2 brand new dishes with fixed az/el mounts, 2 brand new Skyware Global three inch galvanized pipe wall/roof mount kits. The dishes also came with Sharp brand North American Ku circular DSS lnbf's (I'm not going to use these however cause our North American ku FTA signals are linear). Apparently the package of dish & mount & lnbf was designed for fringe areas where the DSS signal is weak.
so I treated myself to a skyware global dual linear polarity wideband ku feedhorn & two NJR wideband ku lnb's to put on it. Model # NJR2842H.
I found an old 7.5 ft c-band mesh dish that was in really rough shape locally but the price was right (free in exchange for removal labor). So I modified that polar mount to accept one of the 1.2m dishes. I'm going to put up one of the dishes soon for the Atlantic region satellites. Pushing the dish to view the Clarke Belt will be a refurbished and repainted Von-Wiese 24inch 36v actuator with a diseq V-box 7.

Kevin

View attachment 102949 View attachment 102950 View attachment 102951

Congrats!! You definitely cleaned house with that very nice Christmas present to yourself! :-D Lol! Some of us should only be so lucky. I would bet back in the day when it was new all that stuff was twice as much money. :) Let us know how well it works out.

BIG thanks to MagicStatic, lamp & phlatwound for pointing me straight (the links really helped). That will save me a lot of frustration & aggravation. I thought you could account for the offset by lowering the elevation but now I see that is incorrect. So I'll pull the dish & mount off and get to work fixing it.
as the marvin the martian said back to ye old drawing board :)
Don't forget lots of pictures. :)

Brand new dishes and no shipping charges! Way to go!

I've got a pair of DX brand 1.2's that are too heavy for any of the available H2H motors. Need to do your mod on at least one of them. Good thread.

NICE addition to your farm there!

A BUD is set to declination angle from the polar axis. An offset is set to declination + offset from the polar axis.
One thing I'd consider: Put up the BUD and get it tracking. Then you KNOW the mount is set to the correct angles. Azimuth and elevation. Remove the BUD and attach the offset dish. Then the only needed adjustment is the declination+offset, and maybe a little rotation about the polar axis, the polar mount is 'pre-set'.

Last edited:
quick update.
I have abandoned the ring portion since it weighs 22lb. It didn't make sense to have the motor push & pull 22lb around just for the sake of some mounting points for the back of the dish. So I bought an AC welder & made up a steel rectangle (instead of a ring) that weighs roughly 10lb. I went out to the workshop & took some pics. The upper green tape in pic 1 will be replaced with some perforated steel (the 2nd pic) and bolts to hold it @ the right offset angle. The lower bits of green tape will be replaced with nuts & bolts.
But this might change pending the outcome of me chasing my dream of a Prodelin 1.8. I have another heavier duty polar mount from my MZT dish from Yugoslavia (last pic) that I can use.

Reactions: danristheman
Dunno, but some of that steel appears to be galvanized?? If so, beware of Metal fume fever.
Other than that, lookin' good.
Thanks for the link MS. Those symptoms are nasty. I generally use a filter mask like this http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/General-Merchandise/Health-Safety-Prods/Work-Safety-Products/Masks-Respirators/Latex-Paint-and-Odour-Respirator-Mask/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I1636992?Ntt=filter mask & have the workshop windows open with a fan blowing the air outside when I weld. I hope that's enough :)

update for you guys & gals. I spent most of today installing my 1.2 on my roof. change of plan though. was going to be polar mount. that is progressing but still working on best mounting position for reflector to keep weight balanced. so going with fixed az/el for now. 3 in pipe mount bolted to rafters with 3/8x3 lag screws. also pipe filled with concrete @ top & bottom ends to prevent crushing. pipe & feedhorn wired to electrical gnd as per national electric code & channel master recommendations. little brother looking @ 91w (a nice mix of sports & news feeds there) while big brother stands guard. my temporary work platform below the dish & my 1in safety rope (I wear a fall arrest harness) safety anchor point & spare rg6 cable (I always run extra if possible) my outside conduit & junction box big enough to hold multiswitches etc the end of the conduit & service head with cable drip loop. the rag is to keep the paper wasps getting induring summer months & making nests. their sting really hurts inside junction box is cable surge protector again as as per national electric code & channel master recommendations,
signal levels & quality are awesome.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)