My friend is already regretting getting a 922

bruin95

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Sin City
He's had nothing but problems with it since it was installed on Friday. The only thing that has gone right was that he successfully transferred his recordings off of the EHD.

Since Friday, the receiver has locked up and rebooted itself 17 times that he knows of.

It has failed to record EVERY timer he has set. 7 in all. Two that did record only recorded a few minutes of the program and then stopped.

He can pause live TV, but he cannot fast forward or rewind it after the pause. It just immediately goes back to live TV. The skip forward works, but the skip back doesn't.

He'll be scrolling through the guide and, all of a sudden, will just go back to where he started.

Basically, he wants this thing out of his house ASAP. His old 622 was long in the tooth and he needed to upgrade. I believe he's going to ask for a 722k. The problem with this is now he is going to lose all those recordings he transferred, 32 in all, because there is no way to transfer them off of the 922 at the moment. I feel his pain.

It's fairly obvious that the 922 is a long long way from being ready for prime time. Glad I didn't get one.

Hmmm...Sounds like an extreme case. I have a few issues, but classify them as growing pains of early adoption. It also gives me the opportunity to pitch in providing suggestions for an improved experience.

I have had similar problems as the OP's friend. Thankfully I have an extra 722 as a backup until they get me another 922 out. As was mentioned earlier this is the price for being an early adapter, it can be frustrating, but in a way to me it is kind of fun too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a very strange issue, my 922 hasn't missed a recording in almost 5 months and has been VERY stable. Sounds like he has something wrong there.

The ONLY issue I have had with mine since it was installed Thursday morning is that the system has rebooted itselm 3-4 times for no reason,,,, and usually when it does this reboot, it takes it 2-3 times each to get back to normal...

Other than that, its been working flawlessly.

I've had my 922 since last June and mine works great. Mine is a beta test unit though, not sure if that makes a difference.

I had a good working 922 for about three hours and then I experienced the problems your friend had. I think it was my hard drive that went bad. Dish replaced it the next day and now I'm fine again. I know how your friend feels, but a replacement 922, should make him happy.

For timers if u added them the same day u got the 922 it will be messed up. You need to delete all the timers wait a couple of days for the update to take and then add the timers back and u will be golden. Had the same issue but fixed mines with no issues now. After about 5days my 922 is getting better and better.

I haven't had any issues at all with mine, I've only had it for about 5 days though. I think it is by far the best reciever I have ever used or seen from any company. It would be neat if they could add streaming video from youtube or your own media server atleast that would be a great addition. HD on TV2 will be great when that becomes available too.

Open Mind

If you are the Retailer and were not on Beat offer to swap out his 922 for a month with a loaner and learn from his 922. There will always be pain with new products. We make clients sign an I told you so policy on new equipment, so they will grow with us and not give us pain. My 922 is cranking away and we generally just ignore the constarnt reboot and rely on the primary 722.

I installed my 922 the day it came out. Since I am a tech I was able to get it asap> I have installed 7 of them since the release date. None of my customers have called me with issues besides using sling, a problem that DN is aware of and is working on. It seems like your receiver needs to be replaced. I do know that sending a tech out to replace it is DN' s last resort. But if it has reset that many times they should be able to get it replaced with no problem. Over all I am very happy with the 922 and look forward to new software releases to come. It will only get better....I hope. I have been able to use the sling with no problems on my computer and Iphone. I'm sure all the bugs will be worked out within time. Just give DN time to get the proper feedback so they can fix on going issues. Just like with anything electronics and new its going to have problems.

I installed my 922 the day it came out. Since I am a tech I was able to get it asap> I have installed 7 of them since the release date. None of my customers have called me with issues besides using sling, a problem that DN is aware of and is working on. It seems like your receiver needs to be replaced. I do know that sending a tech out to replace it is DN' s last resort. But if it has reset that many times they should be able to get it replaced with no problem. Over all I am very happy with the 922 and look forward to new software releases to come. It will only get better....I hope. I have been able to use the sling with no problems on my computer and Iphone. I'm sure all the bugs will be worked out within time. Just give DN time to get the proper feedback so they can fix on going issues. Just like with anything electronics and new its going to have problems.

Again, this is NOT my receiver, it's my friend's. I do not have a 922 and really don't want one. He had the 922 replaced today with a 722k. He's happy again. He actually convinced Dish to let him hold on to the 922 for an additional ten days so that he can watch the recordings he put on it from the EHD. They're not going to charge him an additional receiver fee as long as it is returned by a certain date. He also will be refunded the $200 he paid, plus the install fee, and the new 2 year commitment was waived. That was very cool of them.

Wow, I think that he prob should have just asked for a replacement 922. I know that its different but it has to be one of the best boxes dish has come out with in a long time.

I guess the 922 isnt for everyone. I am glad that dish was able to take care of him in a way that makes him happy.

Wow, I think that he prob should have just asked for a replacement 922. I know that its different but it has to be one of the best boxes dish has come out with in a long time.

I guess the 922 isnt for everyone. I am glad that dish was able to take care of him in a way that makes him happy.

He wasn't going to use the sling feature anyway. I don't know why he just didn't get the 722 in the first place.

That is a very strange issue, my 922 hasn't missed a recording in almost 5 months and has been VERY stable. Sounds like he has something wrong there.

Mine missed a recording yesterday. This is the first problem I've had. I have no idea what happened. It was CSI and it recorded it last Thursday (yes even through the new install bugs). I guess we'll see what happens next week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)