My H20 may be fried?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ron Tobin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
I have an owned H20. Last night it wouldn't turn on so I pushed reset. It went through the reset cycle and began working again after getting the initial satellite download. However it only worked for about 15 minutes and then I got "searching for satellite". I tried reset again, and it would cycle but always end up with the power led green but no video. I tried reset many, many times. The STB panel buttons were all non-responsive. I even unplugged it overnight, but this morning the same thing. I think the receiver is fried.

I called D* tech support, and after 30 minutes and three different levels, they could offer no additional help. They suggested an $80 service call which is a real inconvience for me. If I don't do the service call and trash the owned receiver, I can get an H21 at BB for $100. Would that then add another leased receiver charge to my monthly bill given that my present receiver is owned?

Any thoughts?

If it's your primary receiver there'll be no additional charge. If it's an additional receiver you'll pay a "lease fee" but that's the same as an "additional receiver" fee so it's a wash. About the only other difference is state and local taxes. I paid something like $.10 in taxes on my leased receiver than I do for my owned receiver. Has something to do with the way the state looks at a lease fee and a programming fee. Since it's only $.10 extra I don't get particularly worried about it.

If it's your primary receiver there'll be no additional charge. If it's an additional receiver you'll pay a "lease fee" but that's the same as an "additional receiver" fee so it's a wash. About the only other difference is state and local taxes. I paid something like $.10 in taxes on my leased receiver than I do for my owned receiver. Has something to do with the way the state looks at a lease fee and a programming fee. Since it's only $.10 extra I don't get particularly worried about it.

This would be my primary receiver, per their records, because I'm already paying a lease fee on my HR21 which they have as an additional receiver.

So then, bottom line, it's just costing me $20 for the convenience of not having to wait for a service tech. Correct?

Correct. You might even get lucky and get an H21 at your local Costco if you're a member. Our local one has HR21's right now for something like $169.95 and when they do have H21's they're only $84.95. Problem has been that they've not had the H21 model for about 2 months, at least not locally.

Correct. You might even get lucky and get an H21 at your local Costco if you're a member. Our local one has HR21's right now for something like $169.95 and when they do have H21's they're only $84.95. Problem has been that they've not had the H21 model for about 2 months, at least not locally.

Thanks for clarifying, Randy. Heck, if I can find a "deal" on an HR21, I may even pick up one of those since I'm already paying the DVR fee.

Right now I've got an HR20, H20, and H10. The HR/H20 receivers are on HD TV's and all is good. The H10 is on a SD TV but with enhanced definition which makes it very nice for SD material but really not quite there for HD. Fortunately it's our least used TV, basically morning news while we're getting ready for work, so upgrading to HD is not a big issue. If I did replace the H10 it probably would be with an HR21 (actually would swap the H20 to the least used setup) since I'm already paying the DVR fee so your idea sounds like a plan.

Just a reminder, that you can't "purchase" a receiver at BB, because they are all LEASED receivers. This means you will get stuck with a two year contract as soon as you go to activate it.

Yes I'm aware of the two year contract. That's not a problem as I recently "purchased" an HR21 at BB within the past month, so I'm already committed for two years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)