My HDTV pic going soft over time? Or should I blame the stations?

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
I have a Mitsubishi rear projection HDTV (65 Inches), two years old. I bought the floor model to save some money but I still got the extended warranty. I remember watching progressive DVDs at first (Open Range) and being amazed at the picture quality and detail. Also, lots of shows on OTA PBS, Discovery , etc were just hypnotizing! Lately though I just don't see that anymore. In fact it seems that the pic quality has gone down. I could of course blame it all on Directtv "hd-lite" but that is also the case for OTA stations! could it be that I just got used to HD? Also, I've seen post around here about "calibration" of the TV (some people paying like 400 bucks for somebody to come over and "calibrate" their TV!). I've played around with the controls in my TV that I have access to (i.e., contrast, brightness, color, hue, sharpness, etc). Are there hidden controls that a technician only be able to access?? Or is my TV just getting old and I shouldn't be expecting much more from it (Time to buy a new one??? :D ).

thanks!

Fgsilva said:
I have a Mitsubishi rear projection HDTV (65 Inches), two years old. I bought the floor model to save some money but I still got the extended warranty. I remember watching progressive DVDs at first (Open Range) and being amazed at the picture quality and detail. Also, lots of shows on OTA PBS, Discovery , etc were just hypnotizing! Lately though I just don't see that anymore. In fact it seems that the pic quality has gone down. I could of course blame it all on Directtv "hd-lite" but that is also the case for OTA stations! could it be that I just got used to HD? Also, I've seen post around here about "calibration" of the TV (some people paying like 400 bucks for somebody to come over and "calibrate" their TV!). I've played around with the controls in my TV that I have access to (i.e., contrast, brightness, color, hue, sharpness, etc). Are there hidden controls that a technician only be able to access?? Or is my TV just getting old and I shouldn't be expecting much more from it (Time to buy a new one??? :D ).

thanks!

2 years old is far from old. I recommend a certified ISF calibration on any main display, especially for HD and if its over 36", but thats me. Are you angling for a new TV with the wife? LOL!

Yes, there is an internal service menu. A search on the net could result in you gaining access to it, BUT you can really mess things up by futzing with it.

Yes, the age can be a cause. We know OTA can DBS can change, but how does the DVD look compared to the past, that should remain constant.

thanks Charper! Well, I called a local place that does calibration but, $500 is a bit too much for me right now. Maybe I'll just watch TV without my glasses for now. :D I don't want to buy another TV for a while. My plan is, once I buy a house it will have a basement where I'll have a set up with an HD Projector!!! :up

Last edited:
After two years with my 65" Sony RP, I opened up the back of the case and used an optical cloth to clean the dust off the lenses. Made a big difference. :)

mdonnelly said:
After two years with my 65" Sony RP, I opened up the back of the case and used an optical cloth to clean the dust off the lenses. Made a big difference. :)
Second that! Some years ago my main TV was a 40" RP RCA that was gradually losing brightness over time. I assumed it was just the projection tubes aging. I needed to open it up for another service reason and I found at least 1/4" of dust on the lenses, more so than in the rest of the cabinet, so I assume there's a static charge or something on the tubes that caused the greater build-up. Cleaned them off and *voila* it looked as bright as on day one...!

I've had my Mits CRT RPTV more than three years...besides cleaning the lenses, I also converge the set each spring. The set is downstairs in the HT Room and we don't use the set much over winter months since my wife says it's too cold for her - it always seems like the convergence is a little off after sitting idle all winter.

Last spring the picture looked a very soft (and it wasn't due to VOOM-Lite), even after adjustments, so I called it in for service (we still have another year on the extended warranty). The first guy was an idiot (he said it looked fine to him) and I threw him out after he played with some service menu setting and really dorked up my set. I mean this guy was a walking disaster. After my rather forceful complaint, they dispatched two very good techs who replaced the green CRT and unscrewed what the first knuckehead did. I fined tuned a couple service menu setting and the set looks stunning.

Anyway, something to think about if your set is under an extended warranty.

Last edited:
Thanks! Actually I'm still under extended warranty! :up I'll give them a call. Also, I may try cleanign up the lens. One thing I did notice more now is hard to explain; it almost seems as if I can see like tiny "grains" all over the screen. does that make any sense?
Hmm, now I wonder if they are just the dust???

riffjim4069 said:
I've had my Mits CRT RPTV more than three years...besides cleaning the lenses, I also converge the set each spring. The set is downstairs in the HT Room and we don't use the set much over winter months since my wife says it's too cold for her - it always seems like the convergence is a little off after sitting idle all winter.

Last spring the picture looked a very soft (and it wasn't due to VOOM-Lite), even after adjustments, so I called it in for service (we still have another year on the extended warranty). The first guy was an idiot (he said it looked fine to him) and I threw him out after he played with some service menu setting and really dorked up my set. I mean this guy was a walking disaster. After my rather forceful complaint, they dispatched two very good techs who replaced the green CRT and unscrewed what the first knuckehead did. I fined tuned a couple service menu setting and the set looks stunning.

Anyway, something to think about if your set is under an extended warranty.

Last edited:
Now, I wonder if by opening the back if that would void my warranty?

mdonnelly said:

Use your warranty for a cleaning. If the tech is good ask him about the beam focus. You can tighten up the focus a bit. As CRT's age the beam can't focus as well as when new. The mits uses electromagnetic focus I believe and requires a well qualified tech, not a newbie. I hope it hasn't been in torch mode.

Last edited:
Cool. thanks guys! I checked out the back of my tv and that thing has so many screws that I'm afraid I'd end up messing it up! Now, if I just tell the warranty people that pic is going soft I wonder if they'll just say it 's not something covered by the warranty, just normal wear, blah, blah, blah? Any suggestions on what I should tell them to avoid that?

The first bozo to look at my set said, "It looks fine to me" and, after he really screwed it up said, "Well, it's within specs." This guy wouldn't know a spec from a hole in the ground.

Anyway, keep detailed notes and don't accept a botched job from one of their junior hacks. Your eyes don't lie and if you're not happy with the service call, keep calling until the set is repaired to your satisfaction. After all, it is called a High Definition set for a reason!;)

Also, make sure you have some quality source material. CBS football and ABC MNF is a good start.

Fgsilva said:
Now, I wonder if by opening the back if that would void my warranty?
Be carefull about opening your TV from the back.. Some TV's do not allow acess from ther rear for cleaning the mirrors and lenses. Besure to look at aservice manual first.
I cleaned mine by removing the screen and dusting the mirror and the CRT's. Improved the picture very much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts