My hitachi 51f510 has gotten dark!

loudo2002

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Not incredibly bad but the whole screen has gotten a shade darker.
its on all inputs so i know its not just the directv box.

Even the green bar for the volume is noticably darker.
It seems like the "sunny" or brighter images are fine but the blacks and darker colors arent nearly as bright.

i turned the brightness up to about 83% and its helped but not completely.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

any help would be appreciated
the tv is 2 yrs old

Do the projector bulbs get dimmer over time? I have a Hitachi 57S500 and although I don't have the problem Loudo2002 has, the overall picture doesn't seem as bright and vivid as it used to.

Yes. I replace mine once a year and keep a spare on hand in case it goes out altogether.

I just called Circuit City, i had the Protection plan for 2 years and it doesnt expire until the end of november, so they are gonna send someone out.

Is this a common problem?
will this be covered under that warranty?

how much are projector bulbs normally??

Thanks in advance!

I have a Sears warranty and bulbs are covered. Actually Sears warranty replaces the bulbs once a year free.

Bulbs could run up to $200.00

Yes. I replace mine once a year and keep a spare on hand in case it goes out altogether.

How much of a difference do you see when you put the new bulb in each time? Does it make a big change? Although I don't see all that much difference now compared to when it was new, would I be "amazed" at the picture difference?

Also, is this something I could do myself and does it only have 1 bulb to change?

That's a CRT RPTV. It doesn't have a lamp, it has 3 cathode ray tubes. Sounds like one of the circuit boards may be going bad. Get a service tech out.

If you've had it in torch mode (brightness and contrast cranked up) it may be severe phosphor wear.

One other thing you might want to check is I know on my Hitachi 57 in there is a Day/Night button. If you hit that it changes things dramatically. On a side note. I've had my 57S500 for almost 4 years and never had to replace anything. Still looks great.

I've had my 57S500 for almost 4 years and never had to replace anything. Still looks great.

I don't think there's anything wrong with mine either, it's just that sometimes I think the picture doesn't seem as "vibrant" as it used to. It may also be related to the HD-lite issue as well or it could just be my imagination.

Have you had yours calibrated at all?

Now that I know it is a CRT, my father-in-law has a Mits and just had it calibrated after having it for about two years. It was a great improvement.

i tried the day/night button and thats not it.

Even the menu that comes up is black now.

Something is definitely wrong.

Im just waiting to hear from the people circuit city is sending out.

Maybe it needs a calibration, who knows!

Its very annoying.......im up to about 96% on the brightness just to compensate

I just wish it was something i could do myself!!!

There is definately a problem with the set, in the voltage perhaps? Getting your display ISF'd makes a HUGE difference.

Check out www.lionav.com

Gregg Lowen hosted our party at CEDIA and he really knows his stuff.

I thought about it for a long time, but at this point, I'll probably buy something else before too long. Probably not worth it to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)