My Hopper story....

Allamand

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Well, the day started at 7:45am. Installer shows up and we assess the current setup. I ask for only 2 hoppers and 1 joey, says sure. It is his first dual hopper install, has installed a couple single setups. We run all new RG6, I help in that as he installs the Dual node outside. The first Hopper is a easy run of 15' from the node, the other, well, over 60'. As we work on the 2nd hopper, the 1st is up and showing the Dish start screen 101 channel I think it was. After the 2nd hopper is done, it is 10:30am. Stated at 8:30. If I only knew the fun that was to start! Long story short, after 2 CSR's hung up on the installer, and the 3rd sent us to Ex level right away, they conclude i have to have 2 Joeys, no way around it. It is now after 12:30pm when the lady activates the 2H/2J, and then all hell starts! The software is at version .054 something and nothing works! Well, gee, I never thought that it had to be at that stupid dumb "Select" screen from the get to update...so we wait.. the hopper on the short run updates first, all is good. Then after a little more time, and a reboot, the 2nd hopper updates.... All good to go, time to hook up one Joey, time is around 2pm now.

Well, the Joey had never been touched, yet still get the 1303 error! On BOTH, great.. another long story short... gee, the hoppers need to be at that DUMB "select" screen again in order for the Joey to be updated...well, almost, after waiting 20min and that not working, found out had to do a "Test Switch" on both Hoppers, and a reboot for good measure. After that, we then used the tried and trusted method to force the 061 screen. First Joey worked, 2nd one just took about a hour ago. The installer left here at 6pm, and most of that time was wasted on the CSR on hold, or waiting for software updates. I really feel for all you installers out there! Dish sucks in this regard, plan and simple. Many easier ways to do this. I can't believe the installers call the same CSR's I would, that is stupid. The way Dish updates the firmware is all wrong. The whole time it sat there when we installed the 2nd hopper, it could of updated, why make it have to be in the "Select" screen. Also, how simple would it be to use the broadband connection if it is there!

Next step, to get the two slings working and the DLNA. This I worked on later, and all is working I can happily say :) I had the installer leave a HIC, and once I realized what was going on, I had it in my reach! I first tried having my cat5 hooked to both hoppers and the joey, no good. I then tried using the HIC. WRONG... the way it is working is by JUST using the HIC, and not having any of the Hoppers or Joey on the network! I found the HIC's address in my router, set it up in the DMZ. Then on the hoppers I went to the Network setup screen, having the MoCA selected in the drop down. Set the "Frequency Scan" to FULL. Ran a test to make sure broadband was green, then under the Broadband setting made sure the "Hopper Internet Connecter" was showing. Both slings were working after this. I then tried my Serviio server, and had the name show up, but that was it. After a few tries, I just went and setup the free TVersity and I now have working DLNA on all three.

I hope this LONG story can help some one else out, as it was quit the long day. I now will try and call in after I sleep and "Deactivate" the Joey I didn't want in the first place. I know the 2H/1J has been done, sure wish that the CSR's that did it could be named :)

Here is what I had emailed to us from an Advance Tech/Broadband/RV/New Product support

"Three Golden Rules of Hopper/Joey Installations

If Hopper goes to 015 when plugged into power, reset factory defaults.
If Hopper goes to 833 when plugged into power, leave it alone.
Joeys SHOULD NEVER be connected to the MoCA network prior to Hopper having Audio, Video, Authorization, and finishing the installation wizard.

Hopper / Joey Install Issues Troubleshooting

If the issue is on the Hopper:
There are two different 015’s, the first is factory 015 (appears on boot up) and the second happens when Warning 833 has been cancelled. If stuck on 015, press “Menu” twice to access System Info & check the software version. This will determine which 015 message is appearing.

If Hopper software is (sxxx-fmnacb) proceed to the applicable step on the Hopper Boot State 1 flow.
If Hopper software does not have “fm” listed, proceed to the applicable step on the Hopper Boot State 2 flow.

Hopper Boot State:

If Tech ran Check switch test or waited and s/w downloaded
Reset factory defaults (Menu>Settings>Factory Defaults)
Reset Receiver
833 (Allow time for this to appear)
Installation Wizard (Allow time for this to appear)

Allow 833 to finish, if finished will skip to step g
If tech 833 cancelled proceed to next step

Stuck on 015
FPR/HR
Run Manual check switch
FPR/HR

Allow to finish, if finished will skip to step g

Installation Wizard

Joey-related Troubleshooting:

Joey Boot State:

Check Client ID on Hopper (Menu>Settings>Network Settings>Tests>Counters>Page down to the bottom>Top line should say client ID

If No Client ID exists, skip to No Client ID, Flow 2 (below)
If Client ID exists, do steps b through i

Unplug the Joey from AC power
Disconnect the MoCA coax cable
Plug the Joey into AC power
Put Joey into standby mode
Unplug the Joey from AC power
Re-connect the MoCA coax cable
Plug the Joey into AC power
Wait for standby screen to appear
Unplug the Joey from AC Power
Plug they Joey into AC Power
Wait for 061 or install wizard to appear

Hopper/Joey – No Client ID

Unhook all Coax from Joey units
Put Hopper into standby mode
Hopper will download software in background

Hopper may come up to 303

Confirm Client ID downloaded
Refer to “Unplug the Joey” – 1303, Step b. (above)"

This is exactly why I won't schedule 2H/2J and ask for only one Joey at installation, because I was afraid something like this would happen. Do you intend to keep the second Joey or are you going to try to have it removed from your account?

Coach Knight said:
This is exactly why I won't schedule 2H/2J and ask for only one Joey at installation, because I was afraid something like this would happen. Do you intend to keep the second Joey or are you going to try to have it removed from your account?

If you can't go to 2H/1J refuse the install. If the tech in unable or unwilling to get your work order changed, then don't agree to the work and don't get signed up for a new two year commitment. I can guarantee that the need for a Joey for the Hopper to authorize successfully is complete BS (wasn't needed for my install and all hoppers should be up and running before you even begin to install a Joey).

Was able to call in around noon today and have the 2nd Joey removed with out an problems. So how dumb is that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)