My Thoughts On The Blu Ray Win

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
As much as I wanted HD DVD to win, I am not heart broken over their loss. I was real close to buying a HD DVD player the past couple of weeks, but am glad I held off. I have been to Best Buy, Sam's, and BJ's this week looking at TVs and HD Players. Seems like to me all three of those stores are favoring Blu Ray. All their TVs had Blu Ray demos running, even on the Toshiba TVs. The only place I saw an HD DVD player was at Best Buy. They had a stack of them next to the check out area were their TVs are.

I guess I can safely buy a Blu Ray player feeling pretty confident that the HD DVDs I would like will eventually show up on Blu Ray. My only problem now is should I get a PS3 that will not work with my Harmony remote or wait for the standalone players to come to the 200 dollar mark with finalized specs. I did not want to start investing money in one format until their was a winner. I have to deceide if I want to take a chance on a Blu Ray player that might not be compatable with all Disc features down the road.

Is there anywhere to get the 399 PS3 with the ten movies?

As much as I wanted HD DVD to win, I am not heart broken over their loss. I was real close to buying a HD DVD player the past couple of weeks, but am glad I held off. I have been to Best Buy, Sam's, and BJ's this week looking at TVs and HD Players. Seems like to me all three of those stores are favoring Blu Ray. All their TVs had Blu Ray demos running, even on the Toshiba TVs. The only place I saw an HD DVD player was at Best Buy. They had a stack of them next to the check out area were their TVs are.

I guess I can safely buy a Blu Ray player feeling pretty confident that the HD DVDs I would like will eventually show up on Blu Ray. My only problem now is should I get a PS3 that will not work with my Harmony remote or wait for the standalone players to come to the 200 dollar mark with finalized specs. I did not want to start investing money in one format until their was a winner. I have to deceide if I want to take a chance on a Blu Ray player that might not be compatable with all Disc features down the road.

Is there anywhere to get the 399 PS3 with the ten movies?

If you are worried about a finalized player Id go with the PS3. Most state itll be made 2.0 compliant also. The other great feature is no need for CD's. Ive ripped all my mp3's to the HDD and play them thru my stereo.

If you are worried about a finalized player Id go with the PS3. Most state itll be made 2.0 compliant also. The other great feature is no need for CD's. Ive ripped all my mp3's to the HDD and play them thru my stereo.
There is NO guarrantee The PS3 will ever see profile 2.0

Yes, there is. Disney and Warner will break their foots off in Sony's ass if the PS3 isn't made BD-Live compliant. Lionsgate wouldn't be too happy, either.
There is NO guarrantee the PS3 will ever be profile 2.0. SHow it to me, give me an announced day and date from SOny, and you have to do better than a blogger, JoeSp or and unnamed BD.com member.:rolleyes:

Look at the specs for a profile 2.0 player, the PS3 should have no problem being made 2.0 compliant. It's already 1.1 compliant and 2.0 only requires a network connection (check) and 1gig of local storage (I'm pretty sure the PS3 has some room to spare for storage :) )
Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Will it happen? No one has said, but Sony would be stupid not to do it.

Considering the PS3 has the hardware in place, and it's only minor software changes for 2.0, it's pretty safe to expect the 2.0 will be along in the not too distant future. Sony was probably waiting to let other companies introduce new features first, as they've done with 1.1.

Didn't you express doubts about 1.1? You OWN a PS3, be happy you've already got a great Blu-ray player.

There's nothing to be gained by your continued negative comments. There is no point in your continuing to spread doubts about Blu-ray wherever possible.

Considering your swings between reasonableness and "not quite so" I wonder if you are in fact forgetting to take your meds. Sometimes I agree with you. Other times you seem to just take emotional swings against whatever, benefiting no one.

I guess I will be keeping my eye open for deals on PS3 with a bundle of movies. Looks like it could be time to buy. Probably will wait until the end of CES to see if anything else comes out.

I guess I will be keeping my eye open for deals on PS3 with a bundle of movies. Looks like it could be time to buy. Probably will wait until the end of CES to see if anything else comes out.

I don't see too many deals forthcoming. I have a feeling the BDA members will be in the to the victor goes the spoils mode. For the record, Toshiba and the HD DVD supporters would've been just as nasty had they won.

I don't know what kind of deal you'll see on a PS3 with movies now. I notice many of the stores doing BD players with movies are excluding the PS3 now.

I got my 2nd PS3 from walmart when they did the 80gig with 10 free movies instantly in store. That was a great deal and then I got 5 more mail in rebate.

It will be interesting to see what Universal does.

They hate Sony and Apple with equal acerbity.

Paramount could agree to release movies on Blu-Ray if profile 2.0 comes to fruition. One of the things they complained about when they switched was the lack of interactivity on Blu-Ray players.

Korsjs:

I recommend if you see a deal, snap it up. I suspect deals, sales and BOGOs will become much less frequent. They used them to prime the pump, but they aren't needed so much now. Time to start ramping up and recouping investments. Of course, if things don't start to break loose almost immediately, they know what they need to do.

Might be a good time for all of us to go take one last look at the current Amazon BOGO sale.

BTW, IIRC Panasonic and Denon have both announced 2.0 players.

There is no guarrantee Sony will make the PS3 Profile 2.0. Once again show it to me. Frankly if they do upgrade it to 2.0 they could piss off all of their hardware partners trying to sell top of the line models at 1200 bucks a pop.

There is no guarrantee Sony will make the PS3 Profile 2.0. Once again show it to me. Frankly if they do upgrade it to 2.0 they could piss off all of their hardware partners trying to sell top of the line models at 1200 bucks a pop.

At CES Sharp and some others have released 1.1 profile players. For the low low price of $700.

Ouch.

Look at the specs for a profile 2.0 player, the PS3 should have no problem being made 2.0 compliant. It's already 1.1 compliant and 2.0 only requires a network connection (check) and 1gig of local storage (I'm pretty sure the PS3 has some room to spare for storage :) )
Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Will it happen? No one has said, but Sony would be stupid not to do it.

Dont go making sense now, Vurbano cant handle that.

Korsjs:

I recommend if you see a deal, snap it up. I suspect deals, sales and BOGOs will become much less frequent. They used them to prime the pump, but they aren't needed so much now. Time to start ramping up and recouping investments. Of course, if things don't start to break loose almost immediately, they know what they need to do.

Might be a good time for all of us to go take one last look at the current Amazon BOGO sale.

BTW, IIRC Panasonic and Denon have both announced 2.0 players.

I think you are right about most of the good deals going away. No reason to continue to give stuff away when the have won.

I looked at the movie choices that you get with PS3, nothing much there that I have not seen.

Talk said possibly in Feb. but only Sony can confirm. I'd actually be more concerned with getting DTS Master support.

S~

Blu-ray Disc vs. HD DVD a 2007 recap

Its far from over

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)