My Thoughts On The Blu Ray Win

Many people view PS3 as the cheapest available Bluray player. I didn't rule out games, but I seriously purchased my PS3 specifically to enjoy Bluray. Yes, I have a few games on it now, but having already had a Xbox360 for myself and son and a Wii for the wife, we were already happy with our gaming in this house. I use it a lot for Bluray playback and have been playing The Darkness on PS3 (until I hit the yet to be fixed Lower East Side Harmonica bug). If there is a game I want that is a PS3 exclusive, I will buy it, but for the most part I would buy Xbox360 versions of a game first if given the choice. (Yes I know Darkness is available on both but I purchased it specifically to try the PS3 out as a gaming machine and Motocross or whatever it is that is included is not my style of game).

I really think a lot of people buy PS3 for Bluray and Sony knows that. But once they have you, they figure you will start buying games too, and for many of us they are probably right.

Just don't rule out those that buy PS3 for Bluray.

Things will change as Bluray stand alones get cheaper, but at the time PS3 was my cheapest option for a Bluray player.

I feel like a dork with a PS3, Xbox360, and wii by the way, haha.

Owner of 360/Wii... Will purchase a PS3 when FFXIII comes out. :D

My point was that the PS3 price is not going to shoot up because "Blu-Ray won the war". Sony will have to keep the price low, and figure out how to reduce the cost more.

My point was that the PS3 price is not going to shoot up because "Blu-Ray won the war". Sony will have to keep the price low, and figure out how to reduce the cost more.

It will not shoot up because they are still competing in the Video game market with the 360.

But if you look at CES Blue is already releasing new players in the $700 range. :D Sharp and Panasonic. (I think the Phillips was $350 and the Funai was $300).

That is not a decrease in price. And some are already trying to capitalize on the WB shift.

Those players that are releasing at a higher price are a higher profile. Wait three months and you will see those prices come down.

Being left the only player in the hidef optical market, BD doesn't have to rush to replace DVDs.
They want to create a premium movie viewing experience that will be available for a premium price.

As long as there is no competition, this should work nicely.

Diogen.

Its not a great game box.

PS3 is the Best Game box. In that it has the most powerful processor and BluRay vs DVD. At this point it doesn't have the games the 360 does, but the 360 has had about a year jump on it and it takes time (usually 3+ years) for the programmers to fully understand how to get the most out of it.

If you feel the games are better on the Wii/360 it isn't the PS3's fault.

For the record I have a PS3 & Wii

Brad

I read that the next Metal Gear game will come out on PS3 a year before it comes out on 360. If that is the case, I'll buy that game for the PS3.

Not a huge fan of Metal gear games. (or any sneak games at all)

Love RPG's though. Blue Dragon, Mass Effect last year this year Lost Odyssey.. Dragons Quest IX?

Knowing Square thought they will release FFXIII over there this year and over here Next.

I hate how they do that. :(

I agree completely on that.

I think what we will see as far as pricing is that stand alone and disc prices will stay the same for a long time and stop dropping. This of course is assuming that HD-DVD is dead.

I will continue to buy movies from Universal and the other two for my HD-DVD as long as they are standing behind HD-DVD. I enjoy Bluray and HD-DVD and my personal opinion is that HD-DVD is not dead.

I will buy Bluray discs too. I am not a fanboy and enjoy having both formats. It is so sexy in a technology sort of way to look at the shelf split with green (Xbox1/360), clear (PS3 games), Bluray and HD-DVD cases. In my house all these media cases get along in a sort of utopia, peace and harmony. They all get along just swell! No PS3 vs 360 or HD-DVD vs Bluray wars in my house, haha!

PS3 is the Best Game box. In that it has the most powerful processor

wii has proven that having the best hardware doesn't mean you have the best game box.

Xbox hardware not living up to playstations? I don't care. I personally like the Xbox 360 better than the PS3 and I have all three game boxes.

wii captures the broadest audience with players ages 1-100. When was the last time you saw a PS3 or Xbox360 in a nursing home? wii is a big hit with the elderly.

It is all about how fun the game is. Hardware is becoming less of a factor to the non-techies. This fact is proven by sales numbers for the three game boxes. #1 is wii, #2 is 360 and #3 is PS3.

Yes, PS3 has the best hardware and can play Bluray (Bluray is the reason I bought mine). And that means something to the Playstation fanboys and the tech junkies. But to the average consumer, the best hardware has proven not to be the biggest selling point anymore.

I think the only thing keeping PS3 alive is the fact that it can play Bluray. When every other Bluray player on the market costs more than the game machine that plays Bluray, you are going to have higher sales based on buyers buying PS3 for Bluray. Even so, it still is #3 in the current generation of game boxes.

Not a huge fan of Metal gear games. (or any sneak games at all)

Love RPG's though. Blue Dragon, Mass Effect last year this year Lost Odyssey.. Dragons Quest IX?

Knowing Square thought they will release FFXIII over there this year and over here Next.

I hate how they do that. :(

Dragon Quest is still around? I had no idea. I loved playing Dragon Quest on my NES back in the day. Ahhh... the memories... the nostalgia. Thanks for bringing back one of the few good things I remember from my teenage years! haha

I read that the next Metal Gear game will come out on PS3 a year before it comes out on 360. If that is the case, I'll buy that game for the PS3.

Metal Gear is not going to make it to the 360.

wii has proven that having the best hardware doesn't mean you have the best game box.

Xbox hardware not living up to playstations? I don't care. I personally like the Xbox 360 better than the PS3 and I have all three game boxes.

wii captures the broadest audience with players ages 1-100. When was the last time you saw a PS3 or Xbox360 in a nursing home? wii is a big hit with the elderly.

It is all about how fun the game is. Hardware is becoming less of a factor to the non-techies. This fact is proven by sales numbers for the three game boxes. #1 is wii, #2 is 360 and #3 is PS3.

Yes, PS3 has the best hardware and can play Bluray (Bluray is the reason I bought mine). And that means something to the Playstation fanboys and the tech junkies. But to the average consumer, the best hardware has proven not to be the biggest selling point anymore.

I think the only thing keeping PS3 alive is the fact that it can play Bluray. When every other Bluray player on the market costs more than the game machine that plays Bluray, you are going to have higher sales based on buyers buying PS3 for Bluray. Even so, it still is #3 in the current generation of game boxes.

Well theoretically they both have quite a bit more room for development still before either one can be declared the best.

xbox 360 (Triple core 3.2ghz Power PC (same family as cell and developed by IBM as well) with 2 pipelines per core.)

PS3 (Cell 7Spe processor, Each can handle 1 instruction each, but does slightly help the Graphics)

Xbox 360 (R500 Core equivalently to an ATI x1650)
PS3 (Nvidia Geforce 4 Core, but gets assistance from the Cell)

Xbox 360 & PS3 512 megs of DDR2 memory

Xbox 360 (16x DVD 9 drive, Super fast but means that you have to swap disks for larger games (Blue Dragon has 3))

PS3 (Blue Ray, Slower for data transfer but mandatory HD means that game manufacturers can install games to the HD for faster play)

So saying its superior is not true. (though it has a much less failure rate would be very accurate)

I hate to be such a newbie here, but since I won a PS3 from Scott and Eva at the Holiday Chat party I'm learning about gaming consoles. Can someone tell me what this profile 1.0. 1.1, and 2.0 is and how that affects me. I'm going to be using the PS3 mostly for BD - with a few games thrown in here and there. Right now I don't have a broadband internet connection, so will be taking the console periodically with me to work to get updates for it. Someone be kind enough to fill me in on what the hoopla is about.

I hate to be such a newbie here, but since I won a PS3 from Scott and Eva at the Holiday Chat party I'm learning about gaming consoles. Can someone tell me what this profile 1.0. 1.1, and 2.0 is and how that affects me. I'm going to be using the PS3 mostly for BD - with a few games thrown in here and there. Right now I don't have a broadband internet connection, so will be taking the console periodically with me to work to get updates for it. Someone be kind enough to fill me in on what the hoopla is about.

Ok you are in luck the PS3 is the only current BD player that can theoretically do all the way up to 2. (though the audio processing is in question) .

1.0 very basic just play back (I am simplifying this a touch)

1.1 Play back with Picture in picture

2.0 Play back with downloads from the internet.

Just wondering....Those sales on the XBox end, are they not being tempered by all of the DROD ( I believe that stands for Dreaded Rings of Death, or something like that)that I have heard about. My kids friends all have the 360. I would say of the dozen or so they have had at least 8 of those replaced and 4 of those have been replaced twice. Now, no big deal to the user because from what I understand everyone of these has been replaced free of charge. But damn, if I was doing this in my business, well, I wouldn't be in business any more. That said, they all seem happy witht heir 360 as we are with our PS3. By the way, not one of those 360's is used for HD DVD play, found that to be interesting.

The 360 can't do it by itself (like the PS3) - you need the add-on for it.

Diogen.

I know that!:p I just thought it was interesting that none of those that I know had the add on. I would have it if I had the 360.

Last edited:
The 360 can't do it by itself (like the PS3) - you need the add-on for it.

Diogen.

Yup Add on drive. (maybe MS was hedging there bets early).I am hoping they release a cheap BD add on drive now. (have the HD-DVD one already).

Also all the new 360s have HDMI but the old ones don't. (and only the elite comes with a HDMI cable)

And since all the repaired 360s are refurbished (well at least 90% of them)

I highly doubt they are counted as sales (but I have not proof one way or the other.)

Most multiple failure 360s are caused by bad power supplies. No one ever sends there power block in when their 360 dies, and if the powers supply kills one it kills the next and the next etc.

Metal Gear is not going to make it to the 360.

This is the original post I saw....

PC World - Metal Gear Solid 4 Coming to Xbox 360

I have since found other articles. I have also seen it is just a rumor, it is already in production, etc.... so I guess it is up in the air.

I really don't care though. I have both systems. If it is PS3 exclusive I'll buy it for PS3. I probably would anyway since they wouldn't come out at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)