Nano VNA and HackRF

SignalHill

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2013
Newfoundland, Canada
I've recently reinstated my Ham license after a 30 year break from it. I want to purchase a Nano VNA and a HackRF SDR from China. I know that the quality and performance of these devices vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer and am looking for user feedback on which manufacturers/online stores to avoid. I would like units that operate up to 6 Ghz. as there is a lot of interesting stuff going on in that end of the spectrum.

I'd purchase the US made HackRF but I just can't afford it right now. BladeRF and Lime SDR are way outside my budget. The heating bills are hitting me hard this winter.

Canada is talking about banning the import of devices like the HackRF and I'd like to get one before the door is closed and welded shut.

If anyone can give me a lead on a good manufacturer I would greatly appreciate it.

It just boggles my mind that one can purchase a vector network analyzer for $100 bucks. No more guess work setting up antennas with one of those in the shack.

Once I am back on the air I look forward to a few QSO's with you folks.

.._. ._. . _..

Be very careful with AliExpress. Pay only with a credit card. I had purchased a HackRF on AliExpress a few years ago and it quickly became a nightmare. Seller wouldn't provide tracking, drop shipped from another company, shipped two weeks late, delivered a cheaper version with an unshielded plastic case (not metal) and no internal speaker. Had to do a CC charge-back to get a partial refund. Ordered a metal enclosure and speaker on Ebay. Now happy with the hardware and operation, but what a PITA!

I have purchased several NanoVNAs for radio club gifts and the best unit so far is this upgraded model with the n-type connectors. Very robust compared to my H3 model with SMA connectors. Amazon has a very fair price.
www.amazon.com/AURSINC-Analyzer-50KHz-3GHz-Measuring-Parameters/dp/B08G4GXTKK

The TinySA is another must-have for the shack. I would buy the ultra with the larger 4" screen rather than the tiny tiny tiny SA with 2.3" screen. The Ultra also has expanded frequency range (which is accurate enogh for most shack applications. Example:
www.amazon.com/AURSINC-TinySA-Spectrum-Analyzer-Built/dp/B0BMPSSFTK

Be very careful with AliExpress. Pay only with a credit card. I had purchased a HackRF on AliExpress a few years ago and it quickly became a nightmare. Seller wouldn't provide tracking, drop shipped from another company, shipped two weeks late, delivered a cheaper version with an unshielded plastic case (not metal) and no internal speaker. Had to do a CC charge-back to get a partial refund. Ordered a metal enclosure and speaker on Ebay. Now happy with the hardware and operation, but what a PITA!

I have purchased several NanoVNAs for radio club gifts and the best unit so far is this upgraded model with the n-type connectors. Very robust compared to my H3 model with SMA connectors. Amazon has a very fair price.

The TinySA is another must-have for the shack. I would buy the ultra with the larger 4" screen rather than the tiny tiny tiny SA with 2.3" screen. The Ultra also has expanded frequency range (which is accurate enogh for most shack applications. Example:
Thank You!

I like the N connectors way better than the SMA type that's on my Nano VNA H
I've got adapters but I don't like putting much stress on those smaller connectors