NBC, AT&T Reach Long-term Carriage Deal (4k included)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Md
http://www.multichannel.com/news/networks/nbc-att-reach-long-term-carriage-deal/407711

NBC Universal said it has reached a long-term agreement with AT&T to carry its portfolio of networks across all AT&T and DirecTV products, including new streaming services DirecTV Now and DirecTV Preview.

The agreement also enhances DirecTV’s 4K UHD programming initiative, by allowing DirecTV to select major sporting events in 4K. DirecTV has already offered Rio Olympics and is delivering Notre Dame football games in 4K UHD under the agreement.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I don't remember NBC Universal channels being off DISH during negotiations?

this is the directv sub forum, just an fyi, why was dish brought up?

this is the directv sub forum, just an fyi, why was dish brought up?
Because over the last year and a half many people walked from Charlie due to disputes.....and that poster may just be one of those who was sick and tired of dishes blackouts?

DISH talk aside, and assuming that NBC has the 4K rights to whatever it has rights to generally (i.e. NBC can just decide to carry Sunday Night NFL in 4K w/o asking/paying the NFL) then what do you think is a good candidate for 4K out of the NBC/NBCSN/Golf Channel rights portfolio?

Obviously they already have Notre Dame. NFL would be good. I don't think NASCAR is viable because none of the in-car or pit material would be 4K. Golf would be grand.

DISH talk aside, and assuming that NBC has the 4K rights to whatever it has rights to generally (i.e. NBC can just decide to carry Sunday Night NFL in 4K w/o asking/paying the NFL) then what do you think is a good candidate for 4K out of the NBC/NBCSN/Golf Channel rights portfolio?

Obviously they already have Notre Dame. NFL would be good. I don't think NASCAR is viable because none of the in-car or pit material would be 4K. Golf would be grand.

All of the Comcast sports channels!

Because over the last year and a half many people walked from Charlie due to disputes.....and that poster may just be one of those who was sick and tired of dishes blackouts?

Exactly! Those disputes are the reason that I am with Directv, recent new sub. Long time Dish Network Sub.. short time with Charter (missed 29 channels), then , while checking out my return to dish, I noticed the many disputes were still occurring, I chose to go with Directv, in part out of pure frustration.

why should locals be paid at all? its a bonus for them to be carried
the could always enact must carry, but then they wouldnt get paid

its pure greed, and they wont admit it

why should locals be paid at all? its a bonus for them to be carried
the could always enact must carry, but then they wouldnt get paid

its pure greed, and they wont admit it

I agree they get to use the airwaves for free and retransmit should be part of that ability to use the airwaves for free.

I agree they get to use the airwaves for free and retransmit should be part of that ability to use the airwaves for free.

But, when a channel is being broadcast using a satellite up in the sky, that is not free to air. Someone is paying for each transponder on that satellite, for launching the satellite in the sky, and for maintaining the transmission of that satellite. The local channels might be free to air, where each of us lives. They aren't free to air in getting a place on a satellite. That is why we are charged for the locals if we subscribe to Dish Network, Directv, or even (related somewhat to this post) Cable TV's transmission of our local channels. If it costs those companies, it is going to in turn cost us to watch those channels with those companies.

Reactions: Troch77
But, when a channel is being broadcast using a satellite up in the sky, that is not free to air. Someone is paying for each transponder on that satellite, for launching the satellite in the sky, and for maintaining the transmission of that satellite. The local channels might be free to air, where each of us lives. They aren't free to air in getting a place on a satellite. That is why we are charged for the locals if we subscribe to Dish Network, Directv, or even (related somewhat to this post) Cable TV's transmission of our local channels. If it costs those companies, it is going to in turn cost us to watch those channels with those companies.

its not costing the local anything, its cost directv
then directv is paying the local
why shouldnt the local pay to be carried? or at least not charge directv. it is in the interest of both parties

Reactions: kluken
Agree, also just because it OTA doesn't mean every can receive them.
Satellite and Cable make this possible.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

its not costing the local anything, its cost directv
then directv is paying the local
why shouldnt the local pay to be carried? or at least not charge directv. it is in the interest of both parties
You just answered your own question.
The local isn't making any money by providing it for free either.
They aren't a TV provider they are a Network provider.

Satellite and Cable want to rebroadcast a local network, well sure they have to pay, they don't own the content.
But Dish and Directv won't do very well without providing locals.
So unless Dish and Directv want to start opening their own chain of local networks and make their own content, well I guess they have no choice but to continue to pay retrans fees.
But I'm sure that would cost Trillions to achieve.
Surely it would cost the customer far more than a retransmission fee does now.

Of course you can always try an Antenna?
Its not the networks or Directvs fault you have to live in the middle of no where or in an apartment with no Free OTA reception.

And Ive never actually saw a figure on these fees.
Obviously its not costing the customer that much since a $10 package provides locals to a flex pack on Dish and still gives a profit.

You need to hold Dish and Directv responsible as well.
Because their intent is also to make money off providing these locals.

There intentions aren't to provide them for free.
If so that would be a whole other story.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
Some how i think people get Free to Air stations confused with not in the tv business to make money-Free TV. The can of worms that that opens is huge and would get into the rights of Network television stations' to charge for on air services (Super Bowl Spots etc.), retransmission contracts, and commercials. Wow, I'm not prepared to get into that kind of in depth and lengthy discussion. I have a neurological disease, and that is beyond my current ability to focus and concentrate due to my disease. I'm just not healthy enough to focus that well. So, I'm just going to drop out of this conversation at this point. Enjoy

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts