NBC DVB-S2 Feeds on AMC1 Ku

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think it has to do with location too....because down here in LA I get them on my 1m dish, my BV, and my Paraclipse with NO adjustments to skew at all, and the NBC's are actually stronger than the Pentagon channels are. Only on the rare feed on that sat have I had to adjust the skew, and I think that was only one time....:confused:

This is the case with my motorized setup as well (I'm only about 30 miles from Stogie)... I have no problem with the 4:2:2 NBC feeds on 103w using the motorized dish. Strange, as the skew should be totally different. I haven't checked to see if my blind scans are actually finding the channels on the proper polarities though...

signal reading for me on a 1.2m on HH120 motor + Azbox Elite HD

11760 88%
11880 89%
12000 80%

These buggers have a high FEC, so you'll have to be spot on. I can have Pentagon at 90% and still not see a blip.

My Coolsat 8100 (same thing, just a PVR) needs to be around 99% on Pentagon to get the S2 without breaking up.

To help me point I scanned the whole satellite to find some weaker signals (like some of those NBC News Feeds) and made sure those were as high as possible. That usually does it.

I've read a suggestion somewhere that one could split the difference between regular skew and AMC 1's skew and still receive good results. Yes, nothing would be at optimal skew. But if it makes the difference between getting everything but AMC 1 stuff and getting everything at lower SQ I'd use the less than optimal skew.

Well I spent about 4 hours trying to get the DVB-S2 signals but not too much luck. I managed to pick up about a 25% signal on 11760 but that was it. the 25% signal is just enough to lock the NBC Mountain and West channels but they're going to drop out as soon as the sky clouds over. I guess it's time for a 1.2m :p

I have a motorized setup and am trying to get the NBC channels on 103. So if you are looking at the front of the dish, do you rotate the LNB about 25 degrees clockwise, to try and match the skew on H2?

Does anyone have a list of transponder info on the NBC DVB-S2 feeds, the national feeds, like east, central, etc? I have pulled in 12000 H 30000 5/6 8PSK pilot on and got 4 channels, but the east and central labeled channels seem like they are the same video feed. I'm using a coolsat 8000 receiver which works like crap, but does work with DVB-S2.

Thanks.
Having worked for NBC there is very little difference tween E, & C Time zones. The only thing is for the very occasional regional commercial.

I think it has to do with location too....because down here in LA I get them on my 1m dish, my BV, and my Paraclipse with NO adjustments to skew at all, and the NBC's are actually stronger than the Pentagon channels are. Only on the rare feed on that sat have I had to adjust the skew, and I think that was only one time....:confused:

I agree. All of the NBC channels come in fine here on my motorized 90cm with no adjustment.

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention, I have the Multi-Star 85 satellite dish, with the rail mount on the front. So I actually have the NBC LNB set at 103 degrees on the rail, while the dish is centered / pointed at 110 (so it is separated by 7 degrees on the rail physically). This is so the other LNB's can remain with their normal skew, and I have a dedicated LNB for NBC (the SpitFire Elite). Anyways, would I still skew the SpitFire at 25 degrees, or is it less, because the dish is pointed at 110 while trying to get AMC 1? I'm guessing the same 25 degree skew though, because the LNB is still stationed at 103 off the rail even though the dish is pointed at 110 when trying to get it (I just want to make certain though).

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention, I have the Multi-Star 85 satellite dish, with the rail mount on the front. So I actually have the NBC LNB set at 103 degrees on the rail, while the dish is centered / pointed at 110 (so it is separated by 7 degrees on the rail physically). This is so the other LNB's can remain with their normal skew, and I have a dedicated LNB for NBC (the SpitFire Elite). Anyways, would I still skew the SpitFire at 25 degrees, or is it less, because the dish is pointed at 110 while trying to get AMC 1? I'm guessing the same 25 degree skew though, because the LNB is still stationed at 103 off the rail even though the dish is pointed at 110 when trying to get it (I just want to make certain though).

Station the dish at 110, and then do the skew. Since at that position the rail may not be parallel to the ground, the LNB in its holder will already be skewed somewhat by the dish. Therefore, imagine a perpendicular line through the LNB to the ground and adjust accordingly (and, of course, make minor adjustments to the skew to peak).

Last edited:
Ok, so I would skew it a bit less stationed at 110 and it being offset on the rail (maybe 20 degrees)?

Depends on what the skew is for 110 what the difference would be, that's why it is easier just to set the dish to 110, then do a perpendicular line through the 103 LNB to the ground and adjust to the skew of what would be for H2 (74). Basically, what you are doing by using a perpendicular line to the ground is re-setting the zero mark of the LNB holder (as if the dish is a stationary dish).

I have other LNB's on the rail that I never set the skew for, but they are to the other side of 110. I've always just put the LNB onto the LNB holder, without ever worrying about the skew (I guess because I have a motorized dish). I'll have to play around with this a bit to get it right I'm thinking.

With a motorized dish, the motor takes care of the skew( generally speaking) . 101W skew is screwing, that's why it has special treatment . :) It turns out that you MIGHT benefit from skew adjustments, even on a motorized dish, on EVERY satellite, and EVERY tp. Generally , though, it's not a big factor. It IS a big factor on 101W.

Yup, I can definitely understand that the skew is taken care of on a motorized dish. You can see the back of the LNB adjusting it's skew very easily (because of the "line" where the two plastic pieces join to form the housing on the body) as the dish rotates.

I still think that for my setup, I should skew 103 "fully" for NBC, because even though it's on the rail, when I have it setup at 110, the offset on the railing takes care of the deflections off the dish, and the LNB 7 degrees offset from 110 on the railing makes it seem like a fixed dish.

I have other LNB's on the rail that I never set the skew for, but they are to the other side of 110. I've always just put the LNB onto the LNB holder, without ever worrying about the skew (I guess because I have a motorized dish). I'll have to play around with this a bit to get it right I'm thinking.

They will be slightly out, 3-6 degrees for skew (assuming an LNB being 6 degrees off-centre) depending on where in the arc you are. Could be important on those marginal signals where a few percentage in signal quality results in a good signal, or pixelation! On my elliptical dishes (the dish skews), all LNBs that are off-centre are slightly skewed, to get maximum signal quality, but, as I say, the slight twist doesn't add a lot extra, but some times an important extra!

Only on 103 does it really count as it is so outrageously out of kilter compared to your general skew changes along the arc.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

NSS806

Dsr922 as dish mover, dreambox 500-s FTA RECIEVER =no signal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)