NBC - Giants/Dallas, terrible PQ?

Eric_C

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 18, 2004
I just flipped on the Giants/Cowboys game and both OTA and off the Dish the PQ is horrible. I'm in Detroit LIL.

Its blotchy, the sound is like from a funnel...the overlay looks good but the actual picture looks like a analog reception 20 miles too far from the antenna.

Is it just Detroit?

No it's probably any NBC station with too many subchannels. It varies from market to market. Out in Las Vegas, I'd say NBC looks better than the local CBS on NFL football.

Fox looked decent for the Lions game and CBS's pregame look fantastic as usual.

Even the commercials looked crappy except the investment commercial that looked like a cartoon which looked great.

Channel 4, WDIV I think only has 3 sub channels, the main HD channel, the weather map, and a camera that shows the city, thats it. All the Detroit stations are similar.

It seems to be the video feed from the stadium. The graphic overlays look fine.

I have yet to see an improvement in NBC sports hd. I'm using the 722 I just installed today. It also looks bad on the 622 and my Sony DHG HDdvr, all OTA. We have 1 static radar subchannel that shouldn't affect the main channel too much. Everything else NBC shows looks great except their sports coverage. It seems to be the fast camera pans that are the worst. Fox and CBS even the college games on ABC have that wow factor to them, NBC not so much.

I am watching on both NBC Madison WI and WTMJ 4 Milwaukee, and both are terrible, macroblocking as usual with NBC. I am liking 720p sports more and more these days.

Packers and Bears games on FOX today were awsome, but that's b/c madison does not have a subchannel, NBC has weather plus

I just flipped on the Giants/Cowboys game and both OTA and off the Dish the PQ is horrible. I'm in Detroit LIL.

Its blotchy, the sound is like from a funnel...the overlay looks good but the actual picture looks like a analog reception 20 miles too far from the antenna.

Is it just Detroit?

Eric,

PQ on my local NBC affiliate's OTA signal looks pretty good, although if they dropped that Weather Plus sub-channel an NBC stopped using that Softness filter it could LOOK MUCH BETTER.

Dish's Satellite delivered Local HD signals are never going to look as good as OTA HD.

John

I am in St. Louis and KSDK has the Weather Plus sub-channel and I am viewing OTA with a 211 receiver. The picture is prettly sloppy when comparing it to FOX, CBS, ESPN, or FOX Sports. The Softness filter might softening the look of John Madden...hmm.

Watching the game from the Charlotte, NC-WCNC through the Dish and so far no problem here.

Wow. I was just about to start a thread about the amazing picture quality of this game (and pre-game).

I'm watching KXAS (out of Dallas/Ft. Worth). This is without a doubt the best HD picture I've seen anywhere. It surpasses ESPN, CBS, ABC, and FOX. I'm seeing a truly flawless picture. I even walked up the screen (within 2') to look at the faces in the crowd. I've only seen this quality on my XBOX 360 and HD DVD add on.

Also, I cannot discern between OTA and Dish provided HD LiL on this broadcast. As I type this (during the half-time show), I'm switching between Dish HD LiL & OTA. I absolutely can't see a difference. They're both incredible.

Please understand, I'm not saying this to throw it in your face either. There've been plenty of times in which I've thought a broadcast was terrible and I'd see posters on here stating how beautiful it was. That just goes to show you how the quality varies from affiliate to affiliate.

I watched the golf today and didnt look that good everytime i watch NBC sports it looks bad.

The OTA did look better then the sat feed but both still looked bad

Well the local station went off the air :)

My 622 can no longer pick up the signal but it picks up all the other channels with no problem so something must be up.

I'm watching it on the sat now and it looks better so maybe if Detroit went poof they switched over to someone else to provide it locally.

The compression is so bad the field is blue and green with huge macro blocks.

I'll record a bit and put some pics up tomorrow of it, its incredibly poor. Thats how bad it is, this will easily show up in pics taken with my camera.

The sound is like they are in a tunnel.

NBC's other HD stuff was never this bad.

NBC seems to be consistently bad. Hd golf this afternoon wasn't great and football tonight isn't any better. I get an OTA signal.

I watched a little of the golf this afternoon and I would swear you could hear the club hit the ball before the video showed it.

The football is looking a little better, but still have macro blocking when the graphics come up and or pans into a pile up or fast action.

If you are seeing a lousy HD picture on your local channels, call or send an email and complain. If enough people do they might get the message that sub-channels are a waste of bandwidth.

Our local station has 2 subchannels and it shows when they switchthe whole scene. It takes about 1/2 second for the picture to detail.

Most of this is due to narrow bandwidth, some due to 1080i.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)