NBC Video Stuttering with Genie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJ Matt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
I rarely have any technical issues with DirecTV, but after upgrading to the Genie (HR-44) a couple of weeks ago I am noticing some rather odd behavior from recordings on NBC. This would be NBC Chicago (channel 5). There is some stuttering and slight hesitation with the video, but the audio is fine. It isn't terrible, but more of an annoyance than anything. The only issue I have is from recordings done on NBC. I do not have this issue with any other recordings from any other channels. Any advice or suggestions on what may be causing this?

I rarely have any technical issues with DirecTV, but after upgrading to the Genie (HR-44) a couple of weeks ago I am noticing some rather odd behavior from recordings on NBC. This would be NBC Chicago (channel 5). There is some stuttering and slight hesitation with the video, but the audio is fine. It isn't terrible, but more of an annoyance than anything. The only issue I have is from recordings done on NBC. I do not have this issue with any other recordings from any other channels. Any advice or suggestions on what may be causing this?

It's probably coming from the station....

I no longer watch Revolution or Community because every recording was pixelated on my DVR. This was last year though, looks like the NBC issue is back. You'll find scattered reports of NBC messing up on these forums.

I will pm you what fixed it for me.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The OTA feed seems to be fine. I have yet to check the actual live feed from DirecTV so that will be another test I will eyeball. Before posting the thread I did research the forum as well a Google search and did come up with multiple results for NBC issues, but this was primarily with people that had the HR-34.

Yes, there's a known issue with the HR34 and NBC (and other) locals in a few markets. But we've seen a number of posts in different forums in the last few days of NBC issues with Hr44 and HR2x DVRs, looks like it was a signal problem.

We also have the same issues; but only with NBC on our 34. I was going to complain to D that my Genie had issues; but assumed that since it was only on one channel it was the local station. It makes my wife want to quit D when our contact is up. I can put up with it, since D is so much better than Comcast.

We also have the same issues; but only with NBC on our 34. I was going to complain to D that my Genie had issues; but assumed that since it was only on one channel it was the local station. It makes my wife want to quit D when our contact is up. I can put up with it, since D is so much better than Comcast.

Your issue is probably the "HR34/NBC" problem reported in only a few areas. There may indeed be something wrong with the NBC signal, but in this case it only affects the HR34. The ONLY fix is to get the HR34 replaced with an HR44. DirecTv will NOT do this. The only way to solve the problem is to call DirecTV, don't report the NBC/HR34 issue, report that you have a big problem with the Genie, maybe that you can't get the HR34 to power up, and get a service call. Then when the tech arrives, tell him it's working again but ask for a replacement, if he has an HR44 on the truck ask him for that.
I know you should not need to be untruthful like this but for some reason DirecTV refuses to acknowledge the existence of this problem.

Thanks for the suggestion; but I am not a good liar. :D I will however start complaining about the issue, just not mention it is only on NBC, so I have a history of problems. That way, perhaps I will be able to get a 44 due to chronic issues on the 34.

Thanks for the suggestion; but I am not a good liar. :D I will however start complaining about the issue, just not mention it is only on NBC, so I have a history of problems. That way, perhaps I will be able to get a 44 due to chronic issues on the 34.

Just to say DirectV will not in general replace an HR34 with an HR44. If you get a CSR to send you a replacement, it is just as likely to be another HR34 because the CSR can't specify which Genie you will get, the system that handles the order will not allow it.
However you get there, your best chance of getting an HR44 is to have a service call and hope that the tech has an HR44 on the truck.

Your issue is probably the "HR34/NBC" problem reported in only a few areas. There may indeed be something wrong with the NBC signal, but in this case it only affects the HR34. The ONLY fix is to get the HR34 replaced with an HR44. DirecTv will NOT do this. The only way to solve the problem is to call DirecTV, don't report the NBC/HR34 issue, report that you have a big problem with the Genie, maybe that you can't get the HR34 to power up, and get a service call. Then when the tech arrives, tell him it's working again but ask for a replacement, if he has an HR44 on the truck ask him for that.
I know you should not need to be untruthful like this but for some reason DirecTV refuses to acknowledge the existence of this problem.

Not it effects the HR24 and HR44, too...

Not it effects the HR24 and HR44, too...
Not as far as I know. A situation affecting the HR24 and the Hr44 seems to be a different problem, simply a problem with the NBC signal. Everyone I know who has replaced an HR34 with an HR44 has seen the problem go away.

Did you not read this thread?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

yes, of course I read it - did you?
There are TWO DIFFERENT PROBLEMS. The first ONLY affects HR34s, and only in a few cities. It can only be solved by replacing the HR34 with an HR44. There is currently NO other solution, although DirecTV has been looking for one for over six months now..
The second problem mentioned here will affect all the DVRs and just seems to be one of those occasional signal problems we get from time to time. Replacing the DVR will not solve the problem. It can only be fixed at the source, either at the station or at the DirecTV local receive facility (where the signal is received from the station, for uplink to the satellite)

Still having issues with NBC. I was watching The Blacklist that I recorded and it was probably the worse I have seen yet. Hope this issue gets resolved very soon.

Just FYI. The problem with the Raleigh-Durham local signals that was affecting all the DVRs is apparently now fixed. If only they could fix the NBC/HR34 issue as quickly...........

Not as far as I know. A situation affecting the HR24 and the Hr44 seems to be a different problem, simply a problem with the NBC signal. Everyone I know who has replaced an HR34 with an HR44 has seen the problem go away.

This THREAD is about the problem being on a HR44. What am I missing????

Started that way, but the HR34 issue got mixed in. That's why I said there were two different issues. The HR44 problem being reported is a straightforward signal issue from the station and affects all the DVRs. The "HR34 only" problem can only be solved by going to the HR44. I am not aware of any problem like this with the HR44 that is not caused by a signal problem coming from the station.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)