Need advice on a TiVo unit

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, I have a Dish DVR machine that is going back to them in June. I got a real good deal from Comcast for 12 months.

I love the DVR & use it daily. However, C-cast wants $14.95/mo. for their DVR. I have been researching TiVo & see that it works with Dish, cable, or a roof antenna. I read on Best Buy's TiVo site that TiVo does NOT play in Dolby Digital sound. I have a Yamaha 7.1 THX home theatre system and I love the sound. I don't care about HD TV at this time. Can someone give me some advice on which TiVo unit might be best for my application taking into consideration that superior sound is the # 1 thing on my list along with 2 tuners. Also, this week Best Buy has a 2 tuner TiVo unit on sale for $99 after mail in rebate- (Model # TCD649080). This is an 80 hr. unit.

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks all.:confused:

I believe the series3 unit is the only one with digital audio outputs, but on the website it claims it is not compatible with satellite and that sucker is pretty expensive.

Series2 only have l/r rca connections that I have seen (I have 2 series2 DT models).

The only other recommendation I have is if you are comfortable with messing around on the inside and find a good deal on drives, buy the smallest capacity Tivo that fits your needs and then upgrade the drive yourself to a large capacity.

I talked to a TiVo sales person. It seems that only their super expensive DVR has Digital Dolby. When I asked him as to why TiVo is so antiquated with sound he got a little snippy. I told him I love great sound over a HD picture and $800 was way out of line for any DVR.

I guess I'll be stuck renting C-cast's SA ?? DVR. I really like the Dish DVR, but cable gave me a deal too good to pass on. Question: Why would I want to buy a TiVo unit just to change out the HD unit? The one I have now has 100 GB and I only have about 10 hrs. in the HD today. I usually record my favorite stuff onto a DVD recorder blank so I won't lose it. Any other thoughts?

To be fair you can find the tivo series 3 under 600 now if you look. The reason you might want to replace a drive is you can put up to a 750GB drive in the unit and record forever. The reason the older models don't have optical (except the dvd burner units) is because they record from analog sources and it would be pointless.

My friend bought a series 3 at full price and does not have HD, he wanted direct digital recording (with cable cards) and hated the cable company box.

Do you know where I can find the series 3 unit for around $600? I might consider it as it's a HD & DD sound equipped unit. Next year sometime I will be buying a new HD big screen TV. How does the 2 cable co. card(s) system work?

I do use my PC as a recorder. The problem is my main TV is in another part of the house and my HD on the PC is only 200 GB & still under warranty. I really like DVR recorders as I record lots of stuff. Someone else mentioned buying another brand of DVR. How would that work with C-cast?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts