Need Advise on How to Point / Align Dish 1000+ Plus

ccuser

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Amateur DIY Dish installer here. I have previously installed dish 500 and 300 and learnt alot from trials and errors but still by no means I am any expert in it.

I am installing dish 1000+ for someone and just the size of dish has scared me. I have previously read that 1000+ are the most difficult to get correct signal on because it is trying to pick up 4 birds.

I tried to search if any previous post has gone over on aligning dish but no relevant result came up, just about everyone is advising NOT to DIY...I think I am more than half way done, I have been able to mount it and it is now ready to be aligned and point to get signal and any help I can get would be highly appreciated.

Here is what I need help with:
- Which satellite and transponder is best for alignment?
- Do I need to foil wrap other lnbs while I am aligning?
- should I directly connect cable from certain lnb to receiver ? or
- should I connect all 4 lnb -to- DPP44 -to- Power supply -to- VIP722?
- Is power supply for dpp44 really necessary if I am connecting only 1 receiver?
- Are there any caveats that I should be aware of?

I have correct skew and elevation for my zip code, dishpointer.com shows that I have good LOS for 1000+. One thing I am worried about is that I mounted it on pole instead of roof to avoid any damage. Now part of roof is now covering dish [see photos] but not LNbs. is it problem? or should I cut down pole a ft or more?

Thanks
regards, ccuser

DSC05402.JPG
DSC05402.JPG

DSC05403.JPG

DSC05402.JPG

You may need to clear matrix first, run check switch without any lnb's connected. Cover the outside lnb's leaving 119 open, run the coax from the lnb without the switch if you can. Use the same transponders you used for the Dish 500. Once you get 119, check for either 110 or 129, again with direct coax. Then check what 129 signals are at. Fine tune by checking each lnb again. Then connect the switch and run check switch. Note: The SuperDish was probably the worse dish to allign. If the size of a Dish1000+ scared you, a SuperDish would put you 6 ft under.

Amateur DIY Dish installer here. I have previously installed dish 500 and 300 and learnt alot from trials and errors but still by no means I am any expert in it.

I am installing dish 1000+ for someone and just the size of dish has scared me. I have previously read that 1000+ are the most difficult to get correct signal on because it is trying to pick up 4 birds.

I tried to search if any previous post has gone over on aligning dish but no relevant result came up, just about everyone is advising NOT to DIY...I think I am more than half way done, I have been able to mount it and it is now ready to be aligned and point to get signal and any help I can get would be highly appreciated.

Here is what I need help with:
- Which satellite and transponder is best for alignment?
- Do I need to foil wrap other lnbs while I am aligning?
- should I directly connect cable from certain lnb to receiver ? or
- should I connect all 4 lnb -to- DPP44 -to- Power supply -to- VIP722?
- Is power supply for dpp44 really necessary if I am connecting only 1 receiver?
- Are there any caveats that I should be aware of?

Thanks
regards, ccuser

I found tp 17 was easiest to use on for all the sats.
Don't really need to disconnect any LNB's as far as I'm concerned. But you can if they bother you. Since you will be able to switch between the 4 diff LNB's it will tell you if you are on correct sat. The hardest sat to peak is 118.7. It is the weakiest and 17 will only give you a reading of mid to upper 30's when it is peaked. the others are pretty easy once you get the 118.7 peaked.

Thank you for input.

Installation and aligning was not as scary as everyone makes out to be... Credit goes to dishpointer.com for giving great visual help.

I was able to get signal on all satellite, following were signal strength when coax connected directly to VIP722 tuner 1

Strength of 110 was ~ 65
Strength of 118 was ~ 51
Strength of 119 was ~ 68
Strength of 129 was ~ 46

But when I connected DPP44 in setup; signal went down significantly to followings:
Strength of 110 ~ 57
Strength of 118 ~ 43, 33, 26 (only on few tp, most have no or very low signal)
Strength of 119 ~ 57
Strength of 129 ~ 34, 2, 8, 18 (only on few tp, most have no or very low signal)

Is it normal? for signal to go down with switch?

One more issue. While I only have 1 receiver connected, if power inserter is attached then receiver would not even see switch or any satelite. 722 only recognize switch and satelite signal IF I remove power supply....am I doing something wrong or is that how it suppose to be?

will signal strength go up if I get power supply to work?

Thanks

Thank you for input.

Installation and aligning was not as scary as everyone makes out to be... Credit goes to dishpointer.com for giving great visual help.

I was able to get signal on all satellite, following were signal strength when coax connected directly to VIP722 tuner 1

Strength of 110 was ~ 65
Strength of 118 was ~ 51
Strength of 119 was ~ 68
Strength of 129 was ~ 46

But when I connected DPP44 in setup; signal went down significantly to followings:
Strength of 110 ~ 57
Strength of 118 ~ 43, 33, 26 (only on few tp, most have no or very low signal)
Strength of 119 ~ 57
Strength of 129 ~ 34, 2, 8, 18 (only on few tp, most have no or very low signal)

One more issue. While I only have 1 receiver connected, if power inserter is attached then receiver would not even see switch or any satelite. 722 only recognize switch and satelite signal IF I remove power supply....am I doing something wrong or is that how it suppose to be?

will signal strength go up if I get power supply to work?

Thanks

Yes. If you add ANY component, new connections, or longer cables, all of these will reduce the amount of the signal quality meter. Components like switches or tuners, dvr, etc all add intrinsic noise and thereby reduce the signal reading. Connections add noise usually from EMI and related to the quality of the connections.

Clear the matrix by doing a check switch with nothing connected. Next, check all of your connections for a stray strand of braid or short needles. Then connect the switch and power supply and do a check switch. (Check the power supply output - approx. 20.5v)

Your signal strengths are too low as they are (before or after).

Here's some help:

Super Signal! How to get the best signal possible!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts