Need comments on Circ Polarization & pkg.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

atheist

Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
(Newbie alert) I intend to buy a package from GoSatellite soon. They have one for ~$700 which has a linear/circular LNB. However, the FTAList shows none with circular polarization. I don't see needing that feature now, but then I don't want to climb back up on the roof in a few months when I find the linear LNB limiting....
Any other comments/suggestions on the package (below) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, HG

This motorized satellite package #2 includes the CaptiveWorks CW-4000 HD PVR FTA receiver, 31” Winegard satellite dish, SG2100 self-powered satellite motor, and an Invacom linear and circular quad LNB.

I was checking that receiver last week and it is a Linux HTPC. You may find it hard during install, unless yo have another stand alone receiver. just my 2c.

There is very little on Circular, NASA, 3ABN, Angel, and once in a while a channel that is not scrambled for a while. I don't know what you are getting for $700, but if it includes a motor, I would suggest that you not mount it on the roof. The motor setups often need TLC (tender loving care) and should be easy to get to and service. Also if you are getting a HD setup be advised that HD receivers do not have blind scan, so they can be frustrating to a new user. You can get a nice bundled system for under $300 from Sadoun, one of the gold sponsors listed at the top of the page.
I would recommend an upgrade to 1 36" (90 cm) dish. and by the way-- :welcome
Bob

edit-I see now that you are planning on a motor and a HD receiver. My comments still stand

Last edited:
A circular LNBF is the only way to get NASA unless you have a C-Band (6-foot or larger) dish, so that is one argument in favor of including circular ability. The Invacom Quad (probably the LNBF included in your package, it has both circular and linear capability) is a very good LNBF, so you're okay there. I was going to say that was a rather high price for a package, but probably acceptable if it includes a GOOD HD receiver.

GoSatellite clearly markets to the piracy crowd, which is why you'll see several of their "FTA" packages include circular lnb's or even dish500 dishes. As others have said, there is very little circular stuff FTA these days. HOWEVER, you will occasionally find some stuff in the clear temporarily on the Dish satellites, if you scan them often. To some, that's worth the extra $$$ to have a circular lnbf, and to some, it's not.

Thanks for all of the comments. I am an avid astronomer with lots of experience with equatorial (tracking) mounts -- so I take to heart what you say about the motor on a roof. I will look for an alternate spot. Also, I will drop the circular pol. since, as I suspected, it won't help me get what I want (first and foremost, French language broadcasts - and if I get at least a couple of national affiliates, abc, fox, e.g, I will be happy.)

You will probably be disappointed with the choice of french programing that is fta over NA. There is only a few on ku band and a few on Anik F1 C band. There is a good selection of US nets on Ku (galaxy 18@ 123).

French

Yes, the French-language offering is disappointing -- especially given the presence of Quebec in our hemisphere. I would add to the FTAlist some of the Arab stations that include limited French programing: M2 Maroc, Al Maghribia, Canal Algérie, Tunis 7.

The irony is that the Chinese offer the best French language programing that is available on FTA! Here, it seems, the Quebec nationalists have really dropped the ball.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)