Need help correcting loss of signal

melreejr

Aug 7, 2008
St Louisville, OH
Switched from Direct to Dish in July. On day of install they did not have DVR we asked for but went ahead and put the 322 in two rooms to control our 4 tvs. The 322 they put in for our spare bedroom and basement has worked fine as far as we can tell. Always has green and blue lights on and we can watch if we want to go there. The 322 for the living room and master br has never kept the signal for more than a couple hours. Do the unplug the receiver thing and it might work for a while. From previous posts I guess that there is a short happening somewhere.

The coax cable in our log house was installed in 1988 when we built it. It is probably the RG59. The Dish installer put in all new cables from the Dish down into our basement where it all branches out from there. He used our original coax cable and new compression type connectors everywhere to get to the receivers. I am not sure how to check all those connections for shorts so wondered if it would just be easier to run new cable. At Lowe's or Home D I can get new RG6 of various lengths with the connections already in place and if it works okay then I guess that problem would be over. Does that sound like a good plan for someone new to most of this stuff? Thanks for any help.

oldford

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
Eastern Maine
If it was just installed in July, you are still within the installation warrantee period. You should not have to do anything other than call for service. The CSRs can be a challenge to deal with, but if you persist, Dish will fix it.

Good Luck, Eric

melreejr

Aug 7, 2008
St Louisville, OH
Canceled b4

Yes I might bug Dish about this but I was just wondering if a little DIY could get my system running quicker. During this process the installers have canceled on us at last count 4 different times. So far I have used 1 and half days of my work vacation time waiting for "no show" installers so my faith is pretty low in them. If a simple thing like buying some new cable would fix the shorting out problem that would make us happy.

Thanks again, Mel Ree

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
1st try swapping receivers. They are identical so take paper pen and tape and mark each cable on the back of the receiver. Disconnect and swap receivers if the problem stays with the receiver it is a bad receiver. If the problem stays in the location it is a cabling problem and needs to be traced and replaced.

melreejr

Aug 7, 2008
St Louisville, OH
We did receive a new 622 by UPS the other day and plan on just plugging it into the spot where the 322 is now and if the problem goes away I guess that will be that. If not though I wanted to have a Plan B ready to go. Just going to put the old unit on top of the new unit and put all the hookups in the same places. Thanks again. Mel Ree

webbydude

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 6, 2005
Akron, Ohio, United States
As Boba stated, if the problem continues with your new 622, chances are it's the cabling. If RG-59 is all throughout the home, I'm not quite sure why the installer didn't either (a) at least recable the primary outlet (where the 322 in question is situated) or (b)...my favorite trick...just centrally locate both receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)