Need help installing new jack!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

loser

Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Already have 1 DirectTV dish supporting two receivers (2 jacks). Want to move 1 receiver to another room, but have to install new jack. DirectTV wants to charge me $70 to do it, but I'm pretty handy and want to save the cash.

What's the best way to install a new jack that will support the moved receiver?

Preferably, I would like to keep the coax connected in the abandoned location in case I want to sell the house and the buyer wants Cable/Satellite in that room, so just pulling it up through the attic and dropping it down the new wall isn't an option.

It looks like the 2 coax cables from the dish go straight into the exterior wall and up to the attic. Is there a satellite homerun of some sort that I can come off of, or do you think the satellite tech just spliced into the prewired cable drop that was already there?

Thanks in advance.

does the room you want to install the reciever in have a coax on another wall? If so I would disconnect it pull it up the wall and drop it down where I wanted it and install a new jack. Hopefully it homeruns to a location where all of the other room services homerun too. connect to the cable there and run to the dish. Just remember you cant split sat feeds. If you need more than 4 runs from the dish you will need a multiswitch of some kind.

Thanks for the quick response!

No, no coax on any wall in the new location's room.

I guess my first option is to pull the sat feed out of the abandoned location and drop in down the new wall then?

Is my only other option to run an entire new feed, w/ no splices, from the dish to the new location?

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

I would recommend just running a brand new coax cable to the new location.

Call around to local satellite retailers. If you are close and there are techs in need of work you could probably get it done cheaper than $70. If you are going to run a new line it will cost some dough. All the tools and supplies to get the line up and running aren't super cheap. $70 to get it done right versus maybe $35 or so to maybe get it right by yourself. That being said I run all my own lines but I used to install Sat dishes and am now an electrician...

You know its about time I learn how to install a wall jack. I'll start with a powerjack so everytime I do it wrong I'll have an incentive to get it right next time. :D

But on a serious note I really do need to learn how to install a jack.

you can run a new line and drop it down the wall space or use the old one if it will reach. find the nearest wall stud in the attic and measure above in the attic 2 times and in the room 2 times to get exact location of the drop. Make sure you are not dropping down near any elec lines or the next step will be even more dangerous. tap on wall and make sure you are not drilling on or near a stud. (unless you want to install a box, but I usually dont wall stud are more likely to have power cables attached to them and your goal is not to get fried doing this) I usually drill a hole in the sheet rock (drill very cautiously only with slight pressure just enough to get through the sheet rock because there could also be power runs running horizontally) then cut a small square with tiny hand saw. Then you should be able grab the cable with fingers and pull though or attach an old wire coat hanger to help you. the wall plate can simply be secured by drilling two holes and using toggle bolts. Ive never seen a point in using a box for this.

PS to be really safe you can cut the breaker off to the room.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)