Need help - Parents won't share

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I considered the THR22 for them, but after reading the complaints on tivocommunity, I decided against it, plus I wasn't sure whether it would cost any more or less.
I believe the thr22 uses what tivo fans call gen4 software. The tivo roamio or whatever is gen6 and pretty much on par with the genie. May even be a bit more advanced. Directv is pretty far behind as far as TIVO's go.

Well, I finally managed to convince my folks that sharing the Genie was preferable to paying the $199 for a second DVR. Install is scheduled for Jul. 28.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Reactions: glen4cindy
I believe the thr22 uses what tivo fans call gen4 software. The tivo roamio or whatever is gen6 and pretty much on par with the genie. May even be a bit more advanced. Directv is pretty far behind as far as TIVO's go.
Then again, D* has no interest in trying to do anything with TIVO.

That's an awesome choice. With 5 tuners, and even with 2 TV's (one each) they can really both watch what they want even at the same time, especially with a 2nd DVR. I loved DirecTivo for it's time, but, once the best features started coming out with multi-tuner DVR's leaving the DirecTivo was a no brainer.

THR22 Tivo is the old technology, but definitely not the other Tivo's like the Roamio for cable systems or OTA, I would suggest Genie since it's free when you sign up, Plus whatever second receiver is free, probably the Genie mini, If that's not what you want, then the HD DVR instead although it's $199 upfront, and $6 monthly fee for the additional receiver, First one it's free, If they don't need a DVR however for the second TV, then the mini client instead, since it's basically a tunerless client for the Genie HD DVR server, and it does everything a Genie do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Also to save on a 2nd line cable to the
second TV you could get the Wireless Mini Genie as opposed to the regular Genie Mini.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

They're going with a Genie and 1 Genie Mini. There is already cable run to the second TV, so the wired one should work fine. The harder part will be the Internet connection. Does DirecTV require it?

Thanks,

They're going with a Genie and 1 Genie Mini. There is already cable run to the second TV, so the wired one should work fine. The harder part will be the Internet connection. Does DirecTV require it?

Thanks,
No, if you don't want internet you don't need to have it. The installer will want to set it up though, because he gets paid for that.

Thanks,
For some reason I thought you already had service and were upgrading ... thought you had a HR DVR.

For some reason I thought you already had service and were upgrading ... thought you had a HR DVR.

No, they have TWC now but hate it and how much it costs. I have Dish, which I would have signed them up for, but they do not have LOS.

Do your parents have internet service?

They do, but they are switching ISPs the day after the D* install. I would prefer the installer set them up without it, and then I could add it after the ISP switch. They are going from cable to DSL, so the cabling will change. There are no Ethernet connections near where the D* boxes will be, but there will be an RG6 connection after the switch to DSL which could plug into their new DSL router.

And before anyone asks why they are switching to DSL, the answer is cost. 6Mb DSL for $20/month compared to 3Mb Cable Internet for $30/month. Either would be plenty for my parents who do email and facebook. Also, the Cable Internet hasn't been particularly reliable, so why not try something else?

Looks like the Genie can connect wirelessly? That would be great if that is the case.

Looks like the Genie can connect wirelessly? That would be great if that is the case.

Yes, the HR44 has the built in wifi. The 34 doesn't. You could use an external wifi deca to connect to the internet but if they're not goin to use any of the features it's kind of a pointless connection.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

My parents got their HR44 and Genie client installed yesterday, and so far a very pleased. The only really unexpected thing for me was the installer wanted extra to install a pole mount (which he wasn't able to in the end anyway due to a giant rock where my parents wanted the pole). I have never had an installer tell me this. My Dish pole mount was free. DirecTV customer service confirmed the charge.

The only real thing my parents don't like is the lack of a clock on the front of the boxes. Apparently, they had gotten used to the one on the TWC boxes. They really like the speed of operation and ease of use of the Genie, plus not paying TWC huge amounts of money each month.

Thanks again to everyone here for your help!

Pole mounts are generally free if there is no other option. If a customer wants it as an alternative, the charge is usually around $75.

Pole mounts are generally free if there is no other option. If a customer wants it as an alternative, the charge is usually around $75.
Pole mounts are ONLY free when there is no los from the roof. If it is requested by the cm there will be a charge unless the tech feels like not getting paid to do it. The fee is set at 75$ including 20' of wire anything longer is a dollar per foot per wire. If the tech calls it in there is tax added if he works with you on the price in cash that's between you and him.

Then it is two basic HR2x. With Whole Home being set to not share the PlayList.

or make sure the tech uses a BSF on the back of each receiver, then they cant communicate. Then you can go with whatever HRxx receivers you want, plus the tech gets paid a couple extra $$ for adding them :thumbup

Pole mounts are ONLY free when there is no los from the roof. If it is requested by the cm there will be a charge unless the tech feels like not getting paid to do it. The fee is set at 75$ including 20' of wire anything longer is a dollar per foot per wire. If the tech calls it in there is tax added if he works with you on the price in cash that's between you and him.

where? maybe it's different for different markets, but we recently stopped charging the customer for custom labor all together. We have a form on our handhelds we fill out in order to get paid for our work (wallfishes, pole mounts/rail mounts/non-pen mounts, cable trenching, etc), but we never charge the customer a dime. We still need to get sup approval if we're doing a lot of custom work like a bunch of wall fishes, but thats just so they know in case the site manager comes to them and asks why they're paying the tech a big custom labor charge.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)