Need help with equipment selection: FTA + DirecTV (w/HD) + toroidal dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

apsinkus

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I am an absolute newbie to FTA. I am thinking about consolidating my soon to arrive DirecTV HD with FTA into one dish.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:
  • Static FTA+DirecTV system feeding 1X FTA and 2X DirecTV receivers
  • Quality receiver with PVR capability (I will provide my own USB HD)
  • All I care about is good reception of Galaxy 25 and DirecTV with HD
  • I live in Boston, if that matters
What do I have coming:
Receivers - 1X DirecTV HD DVR 1X H20
Dish - hell knows, yet to get it
LNBs - same deal, yet to receive them, I assume won't work on T55 or T90

To be purchased:
FTA Receiver-PVR - Captiveworks CW-800S
Dish - Wave Frontier Toroidal T90 (or should I stick with T55?)
LNBs - package comes with 3X M20R (reversed Dual-LNB). I assume 2X M20R will be for DirecTV than I need to buy 1X C10R for DirecTV and 1X Z10L for Galaxy 25?

What do you think about my equipment selection?

Last edited:
Pointing LNBs on T90 toroidal dish

I am writing everything down as I am preparing to get FTA + DirecTV setup.

So I would have to position LNBs at 79W for Galaxy 25, than 101W, 110W, and 119W. Any others needed to get full DirecTV with HD and HD Local?

Dish will be toroidal.

I'm not sure, but I think you will need Reversed Circular lnbf's for 110 & 119. I don't have a clue what D* uses on 101, but I'm thinking maybe a KA lnbf? All this is speculation on my part, but the one thing I'm the most sure about, is don't use the same Cable/Line for D* and FTA. Keep them separated!

Al

You will need the t90, since the t55 will be too small for g25. The lnbf's included will probably not work with your DTV boxes, they will need reversed lnbf's on any torroidal dish.

Sat 101 and 119 will each require a reversed lnbf, sat g25 will require a standard linear lnbf.

I don't have DTV so I don't know what type of lnbf's will be needed for the ka DTV sats or DTV 110 because they use stuff I am unfamiliar with.

DTV 110 needs a reverse Sat C LNB...its a very unique LNB.

DirecTV only has 3 TP's on 110...28,30,32 so what it does is that LNB converts them to 8,10,12 and combines them with 119 (which only has 22-32) into one cable. Here's where the problem lies

The Sat C LNB only is a single so you could only do one receiver. Also there is no KA LNB yet for a T90 so you might have to use 2 dishes anyways...one for DirecTV (the Slimline) and the dish for IA5

Sucks! Looks like I will be doing than two dishes than.

You might get away with the t 90. Sat 110 for dtv uses a Type C lnbf for 110, but I don't now what the aftermarket numbers are. Try to find out if that C10R is made for DTV 110(but reverse polarity). It's kinda hard for me without the specs of the lnb in question. As for G25 any standard lnb with a 10750MHz LO will work, with a torridal or with a single reflector dish.:)

Ka band is a bitch

The SolidSignal web site has install videos for the Ku/Ka dish.
I've watched 'em and wouldn't even consider trying to combine that stuff with a T-90.
It makes not sense at all.
And it's a big waste of money for the T-90.

Not sure what the attraction of the CW800 is, either.

well, that's my opinion!

After reading Anole's post, you will have problems getting 99 and 103. I didn't realize the Ka sats were only 2 degrees on either side of 101. 2 dishes might be the best bet, one for all the dtv stuff, and a single dish for 97. T-90 are only rated for 3 degree seperation of lnbf's, not 2 degrees .:eek:

Not sure what the attraction of the CW800 is, either.

well, that's my opinion!

It was reasonably priced on one of the gold sponsor's site. Any other suggestions for a good receiver with PVR? I am looking for something with software updatability and good processing speed.

The CW800 is PVR ready...there's a difference. There is no drive in it and you would have to supply it. Also there is no blind scan which can be a bugger if you expand beyond just having IA5.

The Visionsat that satelliteav sells is pretty slick and they have updated the software to take care of the little bugs in it. It is also PVR ready but can use any drive out there including those little flash drives. I have the Visionsat and it works awesome :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)