Need Info on Distant Net's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

minnow

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
O.K., I just tried calling Direct to get an answer, but all the CSR wanted to do is order me recievers even though I explained three times I wanted information on programming and was not ready to order anything. Think I was just two questions shy of actually having a Direct installer standing on my front porch tomorrow. :mad: Finally hung up and it was obvious I was not going to get any information from her and I was not ready to order anything yet.
Does anyone here have distant networks from Direct(NY or LA) and does Direct provide a CW affliate (the new named network that has Gilmore Girls) to those that qualify for Distants. I can't see anywhere's in their channel listing where they offer a CW station. With four females in the house, the lack of the CW network is a deal buster. Got to add also that if my first call to Direct is a sign of things to come then I may need to rethink this whole switch to Direct too. Damn, can't even get a simple programming question answered

I have the National HD channels from NY and they dont provide the CW network

Last edited:

This ONLY tells you about HD locals on D* - NOT SD locals, which is (most likely) what the OP IS looking for... ;) ;)

To the OP - if you told us WHICH market (ie: WHAT CITY YOU LIVE IN) you were in, one of us might be able to give you a direct answer NOW... :rolleyes: (we PROMISE NOT to tell anyone...)

BUT, the answer is VERY simple...

-You need to qualify by the LIL link above - if you DO have locals in your market, that SOELY determines if you get a CW affiliate. If your market does NOT get one (either one of the distant ones D* gives in some CW'less market or a true local one), your SOL right there. There are NO CW distant stations that D* sells a la carte like the superstations from E*.

-If you don't qualify for a local package, but if you DO qualify for DNS service, you STILL won't get a CW affiliate; again, D* does NOT offer such a thing.

Bottom line - if D* does NOT offer a CW station to your market as I just described & having the CW is a deal breaker, you'd better stick w/E*...

Last edited:
Thanks for all you replies. I appreciate your help ! Someone else has suggested that I could just downgrade my E* account to the superstations which would give me at least two feeds of the CW network and then get the remaining programming from Direct. I'm also looking at going back to TWC. In addition to my Dish Network programming with distant nets, I have Lifeline Cable and RR internet. I can bundle phone service, RR internet, HD service, get an HD DVR and regular DVR(I have 2 TV's, an HD and a regular TV set), digital cable and a choice of 2 premium services(HBO/Showtime/Cinemax etc) for a fixed price of $110.00 a month for a year. Thats only $55 more a month than I am currently paying TWC just for the Lifeline and RR and $30 less than my overall bills with Dish and the phone company. So we are seriously considering that.
I've got to say that my initial phone call with the Direct CSR last night certainly gave me pause as to if I want to get service with them at all. I told the CSR 3 times that I wanted information on programming and all she kept doing was asking questions about equipment needed and the address I wanted service at, personal information etc. Finally just hung up. Won't make any decision for a couple of weeks yet and will wait to see how this distant nets thing plays out with E*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)