Need Rec. on Upgrade of Fronts and R/R's (7.1)

Davekro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
Discovery Bay, CA (nor Cal)
There are two things I am trying to accomplish. Also, I prefer to try to find a good deal on used speakers (say up to 8 years old???) on Ebay or Craig's list to get much more quality for the buck. So recommending models that may be a few years old is a BIG plus.

1) Replace fronts: Klipcsh Cornwall L/R (to overpowering) & small center (too weak) with a decent quality matched 3 piece set. I kind of lean towards a used Klipsch set but it's not mandatory.

2) Add 2 Rear/Rears: I have a new Denon AVR-1909 (7.1) coming to replace my old 5.1 AVR, so I figure I will add the 7.1 Rear/rears. (Rear wall is 16' behind listening position).

Constraints for Rear/rears:
Must match current surround rears, which are a pair of In-Wall WG150W speakers.
M&S Systems - Product Description
Specs: 8" Kevlar cone woofer, 1" aluminum dome tweeter, 150watts Max/peak, 35Hz-20kHz, no sensitivity listed :eek:(.

These In-Walls are mounted directly to the side and 3' higher than the listening position. For obvious reasons, I do not plan on changing these.
I have read it's most important to match the tweeter. How important is it that R/R's have 8"woofers as well. 8" woofer R/R's would be rather bulky looking to mount near ceiling on the back wall, ( I know my wife will think so ;)) but not out of the question.

Could I go smaller (than 8" woofer) for the R/R's? If so, what if any are the trade offs as I'd drop to 6" or 4" R/R woofers? Not a big deal, but for continuity, it would be nice for the R/R's to be the same brand as the Front 3 set.

The only constraint on the CENTER speaker are the height (max 8")and width (max 26 1/2") dimensions.

(I think that... ;)) I am OK with monitoring sites if the used speakers are not readily available. I am looking to spend $300-$700 on a L/C/R set depending on quality level of used used speakers found.
On Rear/rears, if smaller speakers are OK, <$100 used would be nice. If R/R's are important, I would spend more ($200? used).
I've had my Cornwall's since '83, so whatever I get, I want it to satisfy me for a long time.

Thanks a great deal for any insights.
Dave
PS. 1909 due Friday :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)