Need some projector advice

As big as you can go. If you order the projector first, you can get a better idea of the actual throw.

S~

Makes sense. This will be a tinker project. I figure get the projector, get the shelf done, and then the screen because I can just project on the wall and see what Im dealing with before I order the screen.

I watched a video on lens shift and how the epson works; they recommended mounting a projector where it is roughly the same height as the top of the screen. I guess you then lens shift down, and they said it gives you the most light kicked back.

Using that idea, I need the bottom of the screen to be at least 27" off floor, and then another 45" of screen height per proj central. That means the top of the screen is around 72-75" off the ground, which means thats how high I mount my shelf. That would be perfect and look great behind us.

The Epson says:

Lens Shift:

Vertical: ±96.3
Horizontal: ±47.1

But I have little idea what that means. This is kinda fun.

I would look at High Power screen if your room can handle one. I know how much you like the plasma look and would give you that extra gain to combat lighting. I watch with at 40w bulb on all the time except movies.
No wash out at all. If you get a low gain screen you better be in a bat cave.
I would look at a Sony VPL-HW55ES or last years 50. Best mode will give you plenty of lumens and no dust blobs. The light path is sealed.
Glad to see you come the fp side:)

LOL, true. I think the way this is looking, the plasma and wall mount come down and the plasma goes to the bedroom...

Looking at screen gain, they say anything higher than 1.3 can cause hotspotting and off axis viewing problems. Looks like with Gain 1.0 you have 60 degrees, but 1.1 gives you 50 degrees and is better in rooms with light. The calculator showed an increase from 32fL to 38fL going from 1.0 to 1.1, and since our guest can sit off a bit, I may need to stick with 1.1 at most. My VT50 is calibrated to 36 or 37fL and I watch that all the time.

This is one Elite Screen $279
http://www.projectorscreenstore.com...ITE-FABRIC-HDTV-FORMAT-PROJ-SCREEN-51119.html

SableFrame Series Fixed Frame Home Theater Front Projection Screen

SableFrame entry level fixed frame Home Theater Projector Screen with full tension uniformity for today's entry level Home Cinema 720P and 1080P projectors. Comes with an anodized black aluminum 2.36" frame thickness with pro-trim black velour surfacing to enhance the appearance with the stylish marked border that absorbs light overshoot. 100" Inch diagonal with our 1.1 Gain Cine White, Black backed material, 16:9 Aspect Ratio Screen. It provides sliding wall mounts to ensure the installation is properly centered.

CineWhite (Tension Matte White) has broad light dispersion through diffusion uniformity, black & white contrast and true color rendition making it the most versatile in Elite's tensions screen product lines. This tension PVC surface is the best choice for today's high-contrast ratio projectors in commercial or residential presentations. The CineWhite material equals the performance to our MaxWhite product, but improves the experience with the superior surface flatness. Uniform diffusion surface has black-backing to eliminate light penetration and is easily washable with mild soap and water.

Additional Specifications
Diagonal: 92"
Fixed Frame
160° Viewing Angle
Black Velvet 2.36" Frame
Overall Dimensions: 49.8" H x 84.9" W x 1.6" D

Warranty
Standard 2-year parts & labor warranty
3-year warranty for GEMR (Government, Education, Military and Religious) - US only

No hot spotting on HP screen. 2.4 gain. The projector does need to be shelf mounted close to eye level to get max gain. You do lose brightness as you go way from center of projector. I watch mine all the time WAY off center with plenty of brightness. The big thing no wash out pic with lights on.

Whats the best type of screen, one of the frame types for tension or some other form of pulldown? I see they have manual screens that maintain tension as well. I kinda figured the framed type would look cool since its the only thing there. No need for pull down.

Frame does look better but are more expensive in most cases. Depending on the projector you do get you may be able to squeeze at 110" 16:9 diagonal. Would be smart to get projector then mount and zoom to give you a good idea. Mine is shelf mounted at 11.5 ft from 106" 16:9 screen. I sit about 10' away. :)

I have 2 FP systems. One has lens shift, one does not. In reality there is very little difference (as far as viewing) between the two unless you look at a grid and then realize that there is some distortion (I moved the screen about 1' left of center) and use the keystone correction of the projector.

I would recommend that you get a projector with lens shift that matches your needs.

The other issue is that the screen picks up ambient light and amplifies it tremendously! Far more than you would think. Unless you have really good light control FP is not for you.

That's the good thing about the high power screen. Light from the projector goes to the screen then back to the projector. Little ambient light will not wash out the picture at all.

With lamp on the right and light from kitchen on the left. Can you see any ambient light:) image-2566619812.jpg

image-3583399114.jpg

Thats def bright!

My only concern for light will be kitchen thats off to the right and behind us. When the wife cooks and the floods are on, its kinda bright, but to be honest, it washes out the plasma too and thats rare.

Mine and your setup sounds very similar. That why I suggested the HP screen. I tried a 1.1 gain screen and it was a no go!!
Take a read over at AVS screen forum and find High Power. It's very long but honestly I couldn't have a big screen without it.
Just wish it was bigger. LOL

Eventually I'll turn my room around and use the long way to project a 150"+ screen.
I'll wait for 4k projectors to drop in the next few years for that to happen.

Got it from AVS. I think it was around $230. It is manual. Some people cut the screen out of these manuals and build a frame for it. A lot cheaper than fixed frame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts