Need to Know . . .

2DISHHomes

Original poster
Dec 29, 2018
Florida/Missouri
Just registered . . . first post . . . hope it's in the right place . . .

I heard some things from a tech that helped us, and from a member of the Executive team, and would like to discuss/confirm what I heard. It has to to do with phasing out non-Hopper receivers, and switching to Hoppers.

Is this the place?

Just registered . . . first post . . . hope it's in the right place . . .

I heard some things from a tech that helped us, and from a member of the Executive team, and would like to discuss/confirm what I heard. It has to to do with phasing out non-Hopper receivers, and switching to Hoppers.

Is this the place?
Yes, this is the place. What did you hear?

29B81920-32F7-4745-8F8A-5816466CE9C5.jpeg

OK, here goes, likely lengthy.

We have homes in Missouri and Florida and are long-time DISH customers. Each location has the VIP722K receiver (I think I said that right) At each location we have TV1 and, then, a second coax that goes to all the other TVs. Originally that was called TV2, and the remotes still say that, but in reality we have both TV1 and TV2 at all the other TVs by changing the channel they are on. Actually, what it says on the back of the receiver for that coax is "Home Distribution".

So far, so good.

As is typical, when we got to our Florida home the other day, our DISH service had been switched on, but I had to call a TECH to get it to work, update the Guide and all that. At the end of that, the Guide said, "I see you are eligible for a free upgrade to Hoppers at both your locations." He said our receivers are being phased out.

So far, so good, again.

So I asked my guy on the executive team, and he said yeah, but no big hurry, and it will come with an increase in price.

He said DVR will go from $7 to $14, and every "TV2" will have to have a "Joey" at $7 each. So, let's say we have five TV2s. Instead of them being free, they would cost $35/month.

That does not seem like a winning strategy, so I'm asking if it's true.

OK, here goes, likely lengthy.

We have homes in Missouri and Florida and are long-time DISH customers. Each location has the VIP722K receiver (I think I said that right) At each location we have TV1 and, then, a second coax that goes to all the other TVs. Originally that was called TV2, and the remotes still say that, but in reality we have both TV1 and TV2 at all the other TVs by changing the channel they are on. Actually, what it says on the back of the receiver for that coax is "Home Distribution".

So far, so good.

As is typical, when we got to our Florida home the other day, our DISH service had been switched on, but I had to call a TECH to get it to work, update the Guide and all that. At the end of that, the Guide said, "I see you are eligible for a free upgrade to Hoppers at both your locations." He said our receivers are being phased out.

So far, so good, again.

So I asked my guy on the executive team, and he said yeah, but no big hurry, and it will come with an increase in price.

He said DVR will go from $7 to $14, and every "TV2" will have to have a "Joey" at $7 each. So, let's say we have five TV2s. Instead of them being free, they would cost $35/month.

That does not seem like a winning strategy, so I'm asking if it's true.
Looks like it to me. I miss the Home Distribution in the Hoppers.

The VIP 722 was a great receiver, and the ability to watch different programming on a second TV was revolutionary in its day. It’s biggest limitation was that TV was not HD, and now that SD TVs are pretty much dead, the Hopper / Joey whole home system is the replacement.

If you are content with the TV2 being SD, I would stay with what you have until Dish turns off your service. But that will probably be when Dish shuts down its Satellite TV service.

As noted, Dish is phasing out non Hopper equipment, but as long as your equipment works, keep using it.

The Amazon Fire TV is a great solution for HDTV on a second TV, as long as your 722 has a Sling Adapter. I find it is almost as usable as an actual Dish tuner, and integrates Amazon, Netflix, etc with Dish Anywhere very well.

Dish phasing our equipment is normal, the habit they have of raising equipment monthly charges is part of (perhaps) the death spiral pay TV seems to be in. But there are several more years of cable and satellite TV before the revolution to streaming becomes the norm.

Isn't the coax home distribution an SD signal with 722s? If you want HD at all of your other TVs you need a Hopper with Joeys at the other TVs. If you have 5 TV2s then you would need a Hopper3 or 2 Hoppers to have enough tuners for independent watching. Hopper3 would be a cheaper rental alternative, along with being faster and with enough tuners that you would likely never have recording conflicts.

Having separate boxes (and rental) for each HD TV is pretty much industry standard because of copyright issues. Welcome to the 21st century. :biggrin

Anyone here have the Hopper and a half-dozen TVs?

I have two Hopper 3s, two 4k Joeys, and two Wireless Joeys. Also have a RF Modulator attached to each Hopper. Both Hoppers send TV signal to a 12 port home distribution splitter. Presently I have 11 active TVs. Attached is a diagram and pic of my home distribution system.

Attachments

• Hopper 3 Diagram MoCA.pdf
    27.6 KB · Views: 122
    102.9 KB · Views: 190
Isn't the coax home distribution an SD signal with 722s? If you want HD at all of your other TVs you need a Hopper with Joeys at the other TVs. If you have 5 TV2s then you would need a Hopper3 or 2 Hoppers to have enough tuners for independent watching. Hopper3 would be a cheaper rental alternative, along with being faster and with enough tuners that you would likely never have recording conflicts.

Having separate boxes (and rental) for each HD TV is pretty much industry standard because of copyright issues. Welcome to the 21st century. :biggrin
Stop and think !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He already has SD on the 722/722K why wouldn't he be happy saving money on Hopper with a modulator?

Anyone here have the Hopper and a half-dozen TVs?

This can be done with a hdmi splitter, have 3 off of 1 hopper here.

Off the back of my hopper the hdmi goes to a powered splitter. 1 leg of it feeds the tv where the hopper sits. The other 2 from splitter go to cat 5 to hdmi converters. The cat 5 wire is the feeder, at the 2 remote locations converters switch it back to hdmi.

Cat 5 or 6 will carry the distance and is much easier to install. If a person is capable of terminating cat 5 this is a pretty easy diy with parts easily acquired from amazon.

This can be done with a hdmi splitter, have 3 off of 1 hopper here.

Off the back of my hopper the hdmi goes to a powered splitter. 1 leg of it feeds the tv where the hopper sits. The other 2 from splitter go to cat 5 to hdmi converters. The cat 5 wire is the feeder, at the 2 remote locations converters switch it back to hdmi.

Cat 5 or 6 will carry the distance and is much easier to install. If a person is capable of terminating cat 5 this is a pretty easy diy with parts easily acquired from amazon.

Yes, I have my bedroom tv hooked up like this. I ran a Cat6 for this setup.Works really great. The only downside of my setup is I have to watch the same tv channel as the Hopper. Unless you can advise me I can get different tv channel as to what's on the hopper.If that can be done, let me know how that works.