Netflix Raises Fees for Blu-Ray...AGAIN!!!

yep hes right, with total access you can do the store thing, but with mail only its a no go for store access, so for me it boils down to streaming old/kids movies to my 360 or the freedom to go to my local blockbuster and switch movies out.

stuart,

the streaming is only being done by netflix not by blockbuster right?

correct, Netflix only, I should have listed that differently

pro for netflix is streaming
pro for blockbuster for me is its a block away and I can switch out the disks there (and get chocolate for my wife at the ice cream store because that does wonderful things for her ;) )

I dropped Netfix about two months ago and switched to Blockbuster. We don't have a way to view Blu-ray at this time (wife wants new counter tops before she'll let me replace the TV in the faminly room with something that will play 1080p) so we only get regular DVD's.

I had the two-at-a-time unlimited plan at Netflix because there are rarely any weeks that more then two good videos would be released. On those few occasions when more then two did come out I'd get two of the videos and the third would end up on long wait. I'd call to complain about the long waits (some would remain in my queue for a few months) and finally when someone I worked with who also has Netflix put a couple of my long wait movie titles in their queue and got them immediately while they remained on long wait in my queue I decided to drop Netflix.

I signed up for the free month of Blockbuster to test it's service (two at a time plan) and plugged in some of my long wait titles and got them right away. For new releases I get them two at a time. On those weeks where more then two new releases came out, I think I only waited three days to get the next new release.

I was always happy with Netflix until they started 'throttling' my account. I've been happy with Blockbuster so far.

I switched to Blockbuster about this time last year and also noticed I was getting the new releases, even when listed as "Long Waits," without any problem. However, what I learned is that whether its Netflix or Blockbuster, new customers always get preferential treatment, like your co-worker. I wouldn't be surprised if you begin to see a slow down in getting the new releases in the next month or two from BB like I did (I ended up going back to Netflix after four months.)

I am done with both I think as far as the mail. There is a Blockbuster a mile down the road so I think I will try that for a while. That way I can rent games also.

what i'm wondering is how blockbuster deals when a movie is lost in the mail. in my 4 years with netflix two movies have been lost and i was never charged for that.

I had a movie broken in two and BB just told me to send it back. They sent a replacement as soon as it was received. They say that its ok 1 or 2 times as things happen, but will charge u the full amount if it becomes excessive on the account.

I had a movie broken in two and BB just told me to send it back. They sent a replacement as soon as it was received. They say that its ok 1 or 2 times as things happen, but will charge u the full amount if it becomes excessive on the account.

sounds exactly the same as netflix. thanks capman

I had Blockbuster for about 2 years but changed to Netflix because of too many broken or badly scratched DVDs. Also, I started experiencing more of the dreaded throttling syndrome even tho I was pretty consistent about returning things to avoid weekend delays and such. The occasional late movie was no big deal because US mail must be taken into account but it got pretty bad. Netflix also has the occasional bad DVD problem (once totally shattered held together by the label) but not nearly as often and their delivery times have always been very good. However since then Blockbuster might have improved greatly so I am not writing them off.

I've been happy with blockbuster for probably two years now. I'm on a grandfathered plan that includes one free game rental a month so I plan to hang on to it.

Well unfortunately for me, I just added all my netflix titles to my inactive BB queue and then checked blu-ray availability...

only 2 of 55 were showing any wait on netflix, but 23 were showing short to long waits on BB.

Told my wife about this today and she wants to cancel our Netflix account that we've had for a long time now due to the increase of $5 for us.

I didn't have time to watch my 4 at a time movies enough to justify the added cost. We ended up only getting about 6-10 movies watched in a month.

- I suspect that Blu-Ray disks are actually cheaper for them in the long run, due to the scratch risistant/proof coating. I doubt they need to be replaced hardly ever.

Well unfortunately for me, I just added all my netflix titles to my inactive BB queue and then checked blu-ray availability...

only 2 of 55 were showing any wait on netflix, but 23 were showing short to long waits on BB.

That's been my experience exactly. Unless you have easy access to a B&M store for exchanges, that has good BD availability, Netflix seems to be the better option.

I heard just the other day that Netflix is dominating the market and making good money even with the recession. They are now starting to get greedy. The prices of Blue-Ray are going down. Netflix is taking advantage of it customers now. I may just have to drop them.

When I get them for Netflix, I report it online and they ship it the same or next day before I return the broken one.

That's been my experience exactly. Unless you have easy access to a B&M store for exchanges, that has good BD availability, Netflix seems to be the better option.
My closest Block Buster is 22 miles away. So BB isn't really that Eye catching. Netflix used to to be slow , I hope thats better now. Once a week was about the turn around time. Not that impressive. I would bet Block buster would be the same if not worse.

Got mine, going to Blockbuster

1px_transparent.gif
[FONT=arial,helvetica]Dear Robert,

snip

-The Netflix Team
[/FONT]

Where did you send this to Bob?

My closest Block Buster is 22 miles away. So BB isn't really that Eye catching. Netflix used to to be slow , I hope thats better now. Once a week was about the turn around time. Not that impressive. I would bet Block buster would be the same if not worse.

the turn around time for me is one day on netflix.it might have improved in your area. i decided to stay with the one at a time for now and see what happens.

I am making this my first post!!! I feel very strongly against Blockbuster. I was just going to switch to netflix myself. All the negative things said about blockbuster are true. They used to be sweet but have methodically downgraded service and increased prices over the last two years that I have had it. The throttling has indeed occurred. They do not send movies as fast as they used to. Even when a movie is returned instore, and thus instantly returned, they will wait one full business day to send the next. So it takes as long as if you had mailed it. Now that you must return in store rentals before new on-line ones will be sent, I cannot take it anymore. Also any movie that did not begin as "available" in my queue NEVER became available. Whether it was long wait or short wait. I have movies on there now listed as short wait for the past year and a half. Anyway, just my opinion, but I would think long and hard before turning to blockbuster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)