Netflix Raises Fees for Blu-Ray...AGAIN!!!

Cancelled Netflix. Now I can afford to rent a few HD In Demand Movies for Dish. lol

Exactly. I just went to over $20 to MAYBE get blu-rays. I might ...might...could see paying extra IF I actually got them, instead of waiting in the que.

This bites and they have until Apr 26 to change their mind.

the turn around time for me is one day on netflix.it might have improved in your area. i decided to stay with the one at a time for now and see what happens.
4 days was the fastest I could send and receive. So if the movies weren't out by Tuesday , I wouldn't get the next set Untill the Following Monday. Thats 8 movies a month for $17 , Not that bad , But not that great either. Problem was Wednesday - Sunday I wouldn't have a movie to watch. Thats why I like having E* premiums. At least I have an option to view a movie every night of the week for $10 per month. Repeats, Yea well I've also seen about 85% of everything good that netflix has to offer too.

I think it's time for us to make a statement. All of us talking on here will not get our message across. I call for all of you to make your voices heard with your wallet. I cancelled and maybe if all of us on here cancel to they might get some kind of message out of it.

And I'll end with this....WE are the BR target consumer and this isn't going to help sell a few more BR players. I'm hoping Bob's letter of warning from Sat guys makes them take notice. Joe SixPak ain't buying BR players yet.

What a farce.

And I'll end with this....WE are the BR target consumer and this isn't going to help sell a few more BR players. I'm hoping Bob's letter of warning from Sat guys makes them take notice. Joe SixPak ain't buying BR players yet.

What a farce.
Don't blame Netflix, Cost of Bluray is more. Blame the studios. If they lowered the cost of Bluray to cost of DVDs then there would not be a price increase. With the demand for Bluray going up, Netflix has to buy more Blueray discs because costs have gone up.
Don't be surprised if you see BB prices go up in the near future.

4 days was the fastest I could send and receive. So if the movies weren't out by Tuesday , I wouldn't get the next set Untill the Following Monday. Thats 8 movies a month for $17 , Not that bad , But not that great either. Problem was Wednesday - Sunday I wouldn't have a movie to watch. Thats why I like having E* premiums. At least I have an option to view a movie every night of the week for $10 per month. Repeats, Yea well I've also seen about 85% of everything good that netflix has to offer too.

well maybe this time it will be better ;) you just signed up so give it a shot. if it's the same then say hasta luego to netflix.:)

I am thinking of canceling my Netflix membership over this.

Can someone tell me how Blockbusters service compaires to this?

I dumped blockbuster. We had three movies at a time from them, and they throttled our account so often it wasn't funny. Then they put a limit on the in-store swaps, which I could live with, but they also took out 2 instore coupons for games per month away--which I actually used for games, and that was when I dumped them. I did without for a while, but signed up for netflix after my DTivo hard drive croaked. I like netflix better, they seem less prone to throttle my account, although on occasion they do take their sweet ass time.

I had Blockbuster. Switched to Netflix when Blockbuster raised prices, am now going to jump back to Blockbuster to save $3 per month on 2 out at a time unlimited mail only.

Service was always about the same for me from both companies. Policies and shipping times and availability are almost identical ... so its down to price .. and $3 is $3 .... better in my pocket than in Netflix's.

Only downside ... If Netflix pulls this off, Blockbuster will increase price in a couple of months to be on-par with Netflix.

It's no-win for the end user. Blockbuster has to wait for market leader to jump first. If it does not effect market share you can bet Blockbuster will be right behind them.

Don't blame Netflix, Cost of Bluray is more. Blame the studios. If they lowered the cost of Bluray to cost of DVDs then there would not be a price increase. With the demand for Bluray going up, Netflix has to buy more Blueray discs because costs have gone up.
Don't be surprised if you see BB prices go up in the near future.

I'm not blaming Netflix for the cost of DVD's. I'm blaming for them for a price increase that, takes me from $1 to 6 for the "chance" to get sent a BR movie I want to see.

I understand how the DVD business works as well but I am not going to pay for a five dollar increase for the privilege of renting BR movies. A dollar bump here and a dollar there...maybe.

But five now? In this economy? Not a chance.

I just got the EMAIL!! Damnit..I live in california..By first of april , state TAX also gonna up 1% then now this damn nextfilx! it's getting realy SUX!! God knows what else now

I'm not blaming Netflix for the cost of DVD's. I'm blaming for them for a price increase that, takes me from $1 to 6 for the "chance" to get sent a BR movie I want to see.

I understand how the DVD business works as well but I am not going to pay for a five dollar increase for the privilege of renting BR movies. A dollar bump here and a dollar there...maybe.

But five now? In this economy? Not a chance.

I agree 1000%. This is why I just canceled my subscription.

I didn't have time to watch my 4 at a time movies enough to justify the added cost. We ended up only getting about 6-10 movies watched in a month.

- I suspect that Blu-Ray disks are actually cheaper for them in the long run, due to the scratch risistant/proof coating. I doubt they need to be replaced hardly ever.

So, why didn't you just reduce your rentals to 1 or 2 out at a time? Reduced cost, and watch the same amount of movies.

This is utter bull$h1T! I wouldnt normally complain about the price increase, but they have only mailed me ONE Blu-Ray in the last two months. They rest are on "Very Long Wait".

They are offering credits to get you not to cancel or downgrade, but Im not taking it.

I am thinking of canceling my Netflix membership over this.

Can someone tell me how Blockbusters service compaires to this?

I just put my Netflix account on hold, until I decide what I want to do for sure, but I think I will cancel too.

You are receiving this email because you added unlimited Blu-ray access to your account for $1 a month. The number of Blu-ray titles has increased significantly and will continue to do so. As we buy more, you are able to choose from a rapidly expanding selection of Blu-ray titles. And as you've probably heard, Blu-ray discs are substantially more expensive than standard definition DVDs.

As a result, the monthly charge for Blu-ray access is increasing for most plans and will now vary by plan. The charge for monthly Blu-ray access on your 2 DVDs at-a-time (Unlimited) plan will increase from $1 a month to $3 a month. The price of your 2 DVDs at-a-time (Unlimited) plan is not changing and remains at $13.99 a month.

The new charge for Blu-ray access will be automatically added to your next billing statement on or after April 27, 2009 and will be referenced in your Membership Terms and Details.

If you wish to continue unlimited Blu-ray access for $3 a month, you don't need to do anything. If not, you can remove Blu-ray access anytime by visiting Your Account.

If you have questions about this change or need any assistance, please call us anytime at 1-888-923-0898.

-The Netflix Team

They can take their 3$ per month and stick it where the sun doesn't shine

I will be removing Blu Ray access to my account

The fact is I am having to wait longer and longer for the blu ray media anyway, and because of that there is no way it is worth 3 dollars more a month

Isn't NetFlix the same company that had a 45% increase in revenue last year and was deemed recession proof ? Google it :) Guess they either want to increase their profits by 70% or stand in line on Capital Hill for a handout !

Netflix Q4: Cheap DVDs are recession-proof VentureBeat

Online movie rental service Netflix just announced that profits rose 45 percent during the fourth quarter of 2008. Looks like consumers feeling the economic pinch aren’t having any trouble digging up $5 to $17 for their monthly Netflix subscriptions. The downturn makes Netflix seem particularly affordable compared to buying DVDs or heading to movie theaters.

I should be irate and cancel my Blu-RAY service and save my $4 but then again it's $4 but then again it's $4.... deja vu?! The problem is I'm happy with my NetFlix account, but seriously that much of an increase? I could see increasing it to $2 for the 3 at a time plan but $5 ? (the $1 + $4) Very lame but still alot cheaper than ordering PPV or Video On Demand. ($4.99/movie for PPV or $6.99 for Video on Demand per movie) However I believe to show them but still have access to NetFlix I will take my 3 at a time plan, downgrade it to 2 at a time, and remove blu ray ! That way instead of the $17.99 + tax i'll only be paying $13.99 + tax.... you know so NetFlix's plan to make more money will fail but then again that would require thousands of people to do that.

Btw, Blu Rays on my Queue are almost all Available Now also.

Keep canceling, frees up new releases for the rest of us. As long as there is an increased demand for blu ray but not an increase in subscribers then something has got to give, Netflix is buying fewer DVDs and more Blu ray.
Even with the 2 dollar increase on the 2 out plan it is still cheaper than buying and the streaming is worth it alone for me. Besides you could drop Bluray altogether and then you would naot have to worry about the increase at all.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Red Box is, or is planning to carry Blu-Ray. If so, that may be my best option as they are popping up everywhere around me.

I will definitely turn off the blu-ray option on my netflix account. To be honest with you, I have watched both blu-ray and regular DVD on my older (4 years) Sony HD tv and have found that when a good movie starts up, I forget which I am watching anyway (and I guarantee you my wife and kids could care less). Just not worth the extra $$$$$ to me. By the way, whoever came up with the idea of charging $29 to buy a blu-ray movie to begin with should be fired and sent to work at AIG.

Does anyone know if Red Box is, or is planning to carry Blu-Ray. If so, that may be my best option as they are popping up everywhere around me.

I will definitely turn off the blu-ray option on my netflix account. To be honest with you, I have watched both blu-ray and regular DVD on my older (4 years) Sony HD tv and have found that when a good movie starts up, I forget which I am watching anyway (and I guarantee you my wife and kids could care less). Just not worth the extra $$$$$ to me. By the way, whoever came up with the idea of charging $29 to buy a blu-ray movie to begin with should be fired and sent to work at AIG.

In select locations, none within 25 miles of me:(

I read their goal is to be in all Walmarts by end of the year (with Blu-Ray).

My account renews on the 20th, I wonder if they will try to sneak the new charge in early... If not, I have an extra month to burn through my queue, then make a decision about blockbuster.
One is right now the road and now I see they actually do remove the movie from your queue if you rent it in the store with the mailer coupon. Most of the stuff that blockbuster says is a short wait is more than likely available locally on blu-ray (huge blu-ray section in there now). So while I'd lose the streaming I might actually get access to new releases faster. Plus the kids just like to look through the movies (as do I sometimes to see what is out there)

I've got a few redboxes near me, but none are in stores that I go to or pass by regulary. Also they are huge stores so odds are I'm gonna be parking way out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts