Netflix testing weekend shipping

That would be pretty cool. I alway get a fast turn around except when I mail a movie on Friday. This way I would get my new movie Monday instead of Tuesday.

As far as I'm concerned, great news! Getting movies a little sooner is always welcome. However, I have to admit to being intrigued by the streaming. We've used it a few times hooking up the laptop to the TV but we're starting to give some serious thought to one of the Roku boxes. While the streaming content may not yet be compelling for many, there are *loads* of films, series, and programs that we watch available now. The freedom of on demand, WOOT!

I see it as a win-win. Streaming frees up some of the titles so waits will be less, satisfying the "mailers" and new members.

untill they start offering more titles for streaming nad better PQ I'll still want BD for new releases. Sd is ok for old stuff that I am watching just because.

So do you think $99-$200 bluray players keeps me in the minorty or you? I think DVD keeps downloadable content as the minority, and as BR catches up itll pass downloadable content as the preferred means. I know many people that now have a BR player, without any means or interest of a download box.

Dont get your hopes up.

So do you think $99-$200 bluray players keeps me in the minorty or you? I think DVD keeps downloadable content as the minority, and as BR catches up itll pass downloadable content as the preferred means. I know many people that now have a BR player, without any means or interest of a download box.

Dont get your hopes up.

Im not getting my hopes up... calm down. You're in the minority if you're striving for perfection from everything. Even with Blu-Ray, many are looking for > DVD and 'nice' sound. It's the next step. People that feel they are getting the next step will be generally happy with that. The same applies for HD streaming. The masses aren't going to care if it is 2gb or 8gb because the quality difference is visible to nitpickers and perfectionists, not to people looking just looking for 'better'.

Im calm, why not expect perfection? It also doesnt take a "nitpicker" to notice that 2gb is crap compared to a 8gb encode (I had Vudu for a bit and saw how the HD format compared to HDX, and how neither were close to Blu-ray)

Anyways, downloads arent not even close to being what you think they are. The number of video downloads on Itunes vs the Netflix monthly shipment is staggering. This stuff will prob take off in 5-10 years, and by then dvd and BR will be peaked and dying(hopefully by then downloads will have better PQ and audio and we'll have better HSI in place). Just not enough people that care about getting internet to a video box to matter, plus all the rural areas that dont have great HSI. Until this issue is solved, physical media will still be in the majority. A few years from now, I think lossless audio will be as normal as standard DD 5.1 for most movie renters.

If they plan on killing off physical media for crap, low gig hd downloads, then hitting us with HSI caps, that might just be enough to force me back to the theater. I dont see it though, the studios might use the current HD downloading as a stop gap, but Blu-ray wont die off for something of less quality.

Outside of the perfection stuff, I pretty much agree with everything you just said :p

I'm not lobbying anyone in this thread for downloads to take over the world and eat our children or anything... I do embrace Netflix because it's the most consumer-friendly form of downloads with their buffet style pricing vs PPV.

It will take paradigm shifts in the industry for downloads to catch on, even before the HSI issues are resolved. It hasn't happened yet which is why things pop in and out of availability for streaming, and the selection is so limited. TBH the service would be crap if it weren't for Starz... that was a great big leap forward.

Just a few years ago who would have thought it would become the norm for networks to show their TV shows on the internet for free a day after they air? That kind of drastic change is what it will take to allow for buffet style movie download services to take hold (and for healthy and necessary competition to spring up) and for it to truly be a viable alternative to BD. Before that happens we could see a revolution of some kind try and beat downloads to the punch... who knows, drm'd flash drives allowing you to download movies to play on the go, giving you that feeling of 'owning' it?

So until then... BD is new and expensive (lol, Sony just said the PS3 is still in it's early adopter phase, maybe they think the same with BD? at least that's a little closer to the truth) and the economy sucks. Wife and I are content with the limited streaming selection from Netflix and the 1-at a time BD from them. Before upgrading our service to BD, we got Eagle Eye... and in a handful of scenes I wish I had gotten it on Blu-Ray, otherwise I don't feel like we really missed anything. For Blu-Ray, and the price we're paying, perfection should be expected, but the masses want 'better'... 'perfection' is just a marketing term for them.

This may never happen if the postal service goes to 5 day mail delivery instead of 6.

I'm just waiting for the day when, because the USPS is so desperate for money and since Netflix is their biggest customer, your red envelopes will be scanned in at your local post office thereby instantly releasing for shippment the next available movie in your Netflix queue. I would think Netflix has the clout and the money to make this happen. It's just a matter of how willing the US government is to make the fact that they've completely (long ago) sold out to corporate interests this obvious. :D

I wouldn't think Netflix does since they've only ever processed and shipped my next disc the day after I put it in the mail box at the post office (usually early in the morning).

I wouldn't think Netflix does since they've only ever processed and shipped my next disc the day after I put it in the mail box at the post office (usually early in the morning).

With Gamefly there are participating centers or something was very hit or miss for me. For instance at work there's a mailbox. The one time i've triggered their rapid return was a time when I handed the mailman my game, instead of dropping it in the box (walked up as he was about to leave).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts