Network connection stopped working

chikagobnd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
lynchburg, va
I have a 1H/1J setup that receives Internet connectivity via HIC. My wife has been reading Game of Thrones and decided she wanted to start watching the show on HBO. So, I demonstrated how On Demand works and played a short sample of an episode of the show to show her that it worked. Fast forward to tonight when she actually wants to watch...naturally, the network connection is dead. I have done all of the following with no resolution: reset the Hopper and Joey, reset the Hopper/Joey Network Connection's via on-screen menu, reset the router, reset the modem, and reset the HIC. Hopper and Joey link fine, but the light on the HIC for Home Video Network is unlit. After I reset the Hopper's connection, it gives me the not so good 169.###.###.### IP address. What am I missing? All other network connected devices in the home work fine. No changes have been made to the router. I'm just stumped.

chikagobnd said:
I have a 1H/1J setup that receives Internet connectivity via HIC. My wife has been reading Game of Thrones and decided she wanted to start watching the show on HBO. So, I demonstrated how On Demand works and played a short sample of an episode of the show to show her that it worked. Fast forward to tonight when she actually wants to watch...naturally, the network connection is dead. I have done all of the following with no resolution: reset the Hopper and Joey, reset the Hopper/Joey Network Connection's via on-screen menu, reset the router, reset the modem, and reset the HIC. Hopper and Joey link fine, but the light on the HIC for Home Video Network is unlit. After I reset the Hopper's connection, it gives me the not so good 169.###.###.### IP address. What am I missing? All other network connected devices in the home work fine. No changes have been made to the router. I'm just stumped.

Could be the HIC has an issue. Any way to get Ethernet to the Hopper to see if the Internet connection works that way?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

stimpson said:
Could be the HIC has an issue. Any way to get Ethernet to the Hopper to see if the Internet connection works that way?

Internet is in the bedroom with the Joey. I would need about 40 ft. of cable to get a direct line from the router to the Hopper which I don't have. Looks like I may have to call Tech Support which I absolutely loathe doing.

If you have wireless in your home and a spare router laying around that you could turn into a wireless bridge you could always go wireless to the Hopper to test. I have my Hopper hooked to my network via a wireless bridge and all is well.

Power cycle the HIC which means unplug it or take out the power cord out on the back of the unit then plug it back in.. Then see if all the lights go green then..

I have to reset my Hopper once a day so my connection will show and my on demand will work. It's a big pain and no fix that I know of yet. I have a direct connection from my router to the Hopper

joshua.mcglothlen said:
I have to reset my Hopper once a day so my connection will show and my on demand will work. It's a big pain and no fix that I know of yet. I have a direct connection from my router to the Hopper

That's not right.

I'm not sure if this will help ,but here goes. Had a 2 Hopper 2 Joey setup installed last Friday.The downstairs Hopper was hardwired to the internet,the bedroom Hopper was connected by a wireless adaptor.The hardwired Hopper was constantly losing connection while the bedroom Hopper was rock solid.Today I unplugged the wireless adaptor from the bedroom Hopper and plugged it in to the downstairs Hopper.The downstairs Hopper is now rock solid . With that being said,I ordered another wireless adaptor from Amazon to use in the upstairs unit.

I'm not sure if this will help ,but here goes. Had a 2 Hopper 2 Joey setup installed last Friday.The downstairs Hopper was hardwired to the internet,the bedroom Hopper was connected by a wireless adaptor.The hardwired Hopper was constantly losing connection while the bedroom Hopper was rock solid.Today I unplugged the wireless adaptor from the bedroom Hopper and plugged it in to the downstairs Hopper.The downstairs Hopper is now rock solid . With that being said,I ordered another wireless adaptor from Amazon to use in the upstairs unit.

You only need one broadband connected Hopper with the S221 SW. It's been proven that multiple connections will cause problems. Just make sure that the Hopper that is going to be the source of the internet connection for your H/J network is set to bridge mode.

622 EHD and Pricing Questions

PTAT changing channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)