new AU9 SL 3 install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ammo man

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Athens ga
I'm new to the forum and reaching out for help. Been a D* customer since 1996. called to upgrade from standard def to high def a couple of weeks ago. Tech comes out to the house and says due to OSHA regs he can't go up on the roof. My line of sight opportunity is in one area only, on the roof where the existing dish is. I've got 98 to 100 % signal strength on every transponder on the 101 in that location with my standard dish and reciever. Based on that fact, i purchased an H24 reciever, (not HR24), BBC module and AU9-SL3 NON SWM dish for do it yourself installation. I have no problem with working on the roof and installed the dish over the weekend. Ran new RG6 and started dish adjustment. I replicated 99% strength on the 101. I have 95% on 103ca, Zeros on 103cb and nothing on the 99's. Mast is perfectly plumb. BBC is installed correctly. After several hours, swapped out the new RG6 for more New RG6. same thing. As this is our lake house and thinking the LOS might be tighter than i thought. i moved the entire setup to my regular home with clear LOS, and the results were exactly the same. I'm thinking equipment more than adjustment. Can the BBC or LNB be the issue?

:welcome to Satelliteguys Ammo man!

It could be, but it's just a likely to be the alignment. Can you swap the H24 into a known working installation?

i do not have access to another installation. I was thinking the reciever is right out of the box, so it's not likely it would be bad. Of course you could say that about the BBC and the LNB also.

what's throwing me is the fact my signal strength is so good on 103ca and nothing on 103cb or 99. I've dithered the dish in two locations (geographically) with the same result. Something is commonly wrong in both setup locations.

True. I suggest playing with the alignment some more and see if you can get signal. I'm not an installer, so perhaps one of them will be able to help some more. IIRC, the bbc is only for some of the satellites and doesn't really affect the others. I wonder if it's used for 103cb and 99, and that's why you are having issues. Maybe it is a bad bbc. Were you using the same bbc at both sites? If so, try using the one at your home.

You can get 103 and 101 and still miss 99, but it is uncommon. If you're dithering over and over and just missing it (and I suspect you aren't using a meter, which should really complicate things), then I'd jump for a different LNB before opting to replace the BBC. The bbc would be the cheaper thing to replace, but I can't see it missing 99 and getting 103.

I'm new to the forum and reaching out for help. Been a D* customer since 1996. called to upgrade from standard def to high def a couple of weeks ago. Tech comes out to the house and says due to OSHA regs he can't go up on the roof. My line of sight opportunity is in one area only, on the roof where the existing dish is. I've got 98 to 100 % signal strength on every transponder on the 101 in that location with my standard dish and reciever. Based on that fact, i purchased an H24 reciever, (not HR24), BBC module and AU9-SL3 NON SWM dish for do it yourself installation. I have no problem with working on the roof and installed the dish over the weekend. Ran new RG6 and started dish adjustment. I replicated 99% strength on the 101. I have 95% on 103ca, Zeros on 103cb and nothing on the 99's. Mast is perfectly plumb. BBC is installed correctly. After several hours, swapped out the new RG6 for more New RG6. same thing. As this is our lake house and thinking the LOS might be tighter than i thought. i moved the entire setup to my regular home with clear LOS, and the results were exactly the same. I'm thinking equipment more than adjustment. Can the BBC or LNB be the issue?

Consider this:
Those launch positions are like books on a shelf. You will be using one dish to hit all three spots. You now have the middle one........the 101.......and you have the right (west ) one. Make a mark on the mast and dish base so you can see how much you move the dish. Without changing anything else...... loosen the back bolts on the dish enough to allow it to move with friction.... and then........ rotate the dish about three degrees......left (east). Expect the 103 numbers to go down a little and the 99 sat to suddenly be there. Swing through the 99 101 & 103 back and forth until you have them pretty high. Lock that down and try up & down with the az adjustment. These are all small movements. There are six degrees between the 99 and the 103. Make small, slow movements and check the meter often.

In menu and set up verify you have selected the correct dish. Verify the el is set to the published number. Verify the tilt is set to the published number. These will need little change if the published numbers are seleted and the azimuth has been tuned correctly.

Joe

Thanks Joe. In conbination with your advice as well as Jam3s and Raoul, i will have a new bbc and lnb on Monday to swap out and make another attempt at adjustment. Something tells me that it's gonna light up like a christmas tree. I'll post back the results.

If you are getting great signals on 103ca and nothing on 103cb then it's almost certainly the BBC. The 103 satellites are basically in the same place so if you get one you get the other. 103ca signals don't need the BBC, 103cb (b=b-band) signals do. And 99c does also. So once you have replaced the BBC, you might find everything works OK.

thanks much texasbrit. I've gone from dumbfounded and frustrated to very optimistic. Results soon !

If you are getting great signals on 103ca and nothing on 103cb then it's almost certainly the BBC. The 103 satellites are basically in the same place so if you get one you get the other. 103ca signals don't need the BBC, 103cb (b=b-band) signals do. And 99c does also. So once you have replaced the BBC, you might find everything works OK.

This was the answer I was getting at, thanks texasbrit!

So removing the bbc, assuming it's not functioning correctly, should give Ammo man the same results, yes?

While we're at it, we've established the BBC is for changing the band widith to HD quality for the receiver. Bad BBC / No HD. but why would i not get standard definition locals ?

Depending upon your market, your sd locals may be on 119.

Edit: Nope, your locals are on 101. Check transponder 26 on 101. That's where your sd locals are.

Perhaps the H24 is set to hide sd channels.

the H24 is supposed to be mpeg 2 enabled for standard definition as well......I have the basic D* subscription w/ locals. when i scan the channel list, i get the channels in the 70's and 90's, 604 (pursuit channel), some spanish channels, no standard locals and not high def channels.

Wow ...
I would have been way off on that one if thats the case ...

I would have presumed that if he's getting the 103 then the BBC would be Good. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)