New Bell Express Vu 9241 Receiver - A Backward Step??

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
I have a Bell Express Vu 9200 Receiver and when I got my Panasonic HDTV I discovered that my 9200 would NOT work on HDMI on the Pani TV but ONLY on Component Video for the Bell HDTV Signals?? Bell told me that if I paid $599.00 they would Upgrade me?? to a 9241 Receiver which would work off of the HDMI inputs on the Pani TV, BUT the new Bell 9241 Rx cannot be used for 2 TV's as is my present setup!! That is, I currently use my 9200 Rx for My TV in the Bedroom as well as the Main Pani TV in the Living room.

I told the Bell rep over the phone that in my opinion the New 9241 Rx is a step Backwards because it cannot be used for 2 separate TV Sets in different rooms. The Bell Rep said due to problems with 2 TV's with the older 9200 Rx, it is no longer being sold. So then how is the new 9241 Bell Rx an upgrade when it has less capability then the older 9200 RX?? I have been trying to find out if Dishnet is coming up with a new improved 622? HDTV Receiver since I believe ALL of the Bell Receivers are Dishnet Receivers with a Canadian Brandname. Does anyone know if a new 2 - Remote Bell or Dishnet Rx is coming down the road as a true replacement of the 9200 Rx??

There should be no logical reason a 9200 should not be able to feed a pana via HDMI, mine does.

There is no PQ difference between HDMI and Component anyway, so Component is still giving you the best PQ you will get from that machine. Bell do offer a "Refurb" 9200, as a replacement for a defective 9200 (Yours is defective, if the HDMI does not work), for $149.

As stated, a true upgrade is to the 9242.

There should be no logical reason a 9200 should not be able to feed a pana via HDMI, mine does.

There is no PQ difference between HDMI and Component anyway, so Component is still giving you the best PQ you will get from that machine. Bell do offer a "Refurb" 9200, as a replacement for a defective 9200 (Yours is defective, if the HDMI does not work), for $149.

As stated, a true upgrade is to the 9242.

2 Remotes for 9242 Rx?
Thanks for the replies & great info. Re the 9200 & HDMI, that's what I was told by the Dealer where I bought the new Pani TV, that, is that some 9200's work with HDMI BUT some do NOT! I happen to have a 3 year old 9200 Rx that does NOT. Defective or not Bell wouldn't replace it due to the 3 years I've had my 9200. Also last year Bell told me there was no guarantee that purchasing another 9200 Rx from them would work with HDMI, which is why they wanted me to upgrade to the 9241 - or mavbe it was a 9242. Strange because when I went to Best Buy to look at the new Bell Receivers the Salesperson said that they only came with One Remote Control for only One TV - not 2 as the ebay add says?? Also in the adds I've seen on all new Bell Rx's up here I haven't seen another new Bell Rx with the 2 Remotes for 2 Rooms. I'll double check this out.

The 9241 comes with one remote. The 9242 comes with two remotes.

The 9241 is a bastardized version of Dish's ViP612. Avoid the 9241 at all costs.

The 9241 comes with one remote. The 9242 comes with two remotes.

The 9241 is a bastardized version of Dish's ViP612. Avoid the 9241 at all costs.

Thanks Peano, if I upgrade with Bell I'll definately get the 9242. Do you know if I would need to swap the Smart Card out of the 9200 to the new 9242 with a call into Bell?

Do you know if I would need to swap the Smart Card out of the 9200 to the new 9242 with a call into Bell?

No need to swap out the smart card. The 9242 has an internal chip that works as the smart card.

talk about a way to confuse people by having the model numbers next to each other

Yup, and it being the latest receiver with no dual room & no OTA tuner. Crazy, man crazy! :rant:

Same thing with the 6141 has moved to the 6131 and no OTA tuner for it too. :confused:

It is all about cost cutting.

Don't forget, Bell also stopped including HDMI cables and the short RG6/RG59 jumpers as well, when they launched the 9241 & 6131 models, giving Bell an even bigger saving.

I have a Bell Express Vu 9200 Receiver and when I got my Panasonic HDTV I discovered that my 9200 would NOT work on HDMI on the Pani TV but ONLY on Component Video for the Bell HDTV Signals?? Bell told me that if I paid $599.00 they would Upgrade me?? to a 9241 Receiver which would work off of the HDMI inputs on the Pani TV, BUT the new Bell 9241 Rx cannot be used for 2 TV's as is my present setup!! That is, I currently use my 9200 Rx for My TV in the Bedroom as well as the Main Pani TV in the Living room.

I told the Bell rep over the phone that in my opinion the New 9241 Rx is a step Backwards because it cannot be used for 2 separate TV Sets in different rooms. The Bell Rep said due to problems with 2 TV's with the older 9200 Rx, it is no longer being sold. So then how is the new 9241 Bell Rx an upgrade when it has less capability then the older 9200 RX?? I have been trying to find out if Dishnet is coming up with a new improved 622? HDTV Receiver since I believe ALL of the Bell Receivers are Dishnet Receivers with a Canadian Brandname. Does anyone know if a new 2 - Remote Bell or Dishnet Rx is coming down the road as a true replacement of the 9200 Rx??
The source.ca was selling NEW 9242's off there site for awhile. Not sure if they are still but worth a look.

It is all about cost cutting.

Don't forget, Bell also stopped including HDMI cables and the short RG6/RG59 jumpers as well, when they launched the 9241 & 6131 models, giving Bell an even bigger saving.

Well they (Bell) did include a HDMI with my 9200 but - its the kind that had a massive in line connector towards the end of it and the Technician that came over to install my Pani TV (delivery was included with the TV Purchase) had a real good laugh when he saw this mickey mouse HDMI cable - as he called it. So I went to Best Buy and purchased the $87.00 Monster HDMI cable but it still did NOT work with my Pani TV and the Bell 9200 Rx - only component Video would work with all the Extra sound cables as well as the Video - instead of one clean HDMI cable for Both sound and Video. Then after hours of chatting with Bell Technical support their 3rd Level Technician finally admitted that some 9200 Receivers would NOT work with HDMI but they would NOT replace my 9200 Rx. They gave me 2 months of $10.00 off on my Monthly rental - but that still doesn't solve the problem!!

QCK no OTA HDTV signals are available yet here in Winnipeg - at least that I know of, so I guess that wouldn't be a big issue here, but its something that I hadn't even thought of, thanks for the info. I'm wondering though if any are available via USA but then even Grand Forks USA is approx 150 miles South of my location!!

Its a solder joint on the HDMI port to the main board. All 9200s work with HDMI unless that joint is broken.

Its a solder joint on the HDMI port to the main board. All 9200s work with HDMI unless that joint is broken.

Interesting info Peano, does Bell know about this? Or how did you get this info so that I can make a case of it with Bell?

Interesting info Peano, does Bell know about this? Or how did you get this info so that I can make a case of it with Bell?

This is a known problem for the 9200s. Bell may or may not admit they know it but been a problem ever since it has been released.

You will not get OTA 150 miles away. 70-80 miles is really pushing it. Still if you ever move it is really nice to have the extra tuner.

Bell knows about it but could care less. They just say they don't support HDMI and to use component.

How can you not support HDMI on an HD receiver???? Typical Bell crap.

Bell knows about it but could care less. They just say they don't support HDMI and to use component.

How can you not support HDMI on an HD receiver???? Typical Bell crap.

Thanks for the great info QCK, and Peano exactly my comments to Bell re no HDMI on a HD Receiver. Funny thing is that Bells' so called 3rd level Technician told me that a FUTURE SOFTWARE UPGRADE would eventually resolve the HDMI Problem on the 9200 Rx ...... and I believed him!! That was a year ago??

Maybe need to spend more money on a Sound System with HD Receiver ie Onkyo or Yamaha with those usually expensive Speakers to finally get my HDMI setup to the Pani HD TV??

You mention that you got a $10 discount off your Rental.! Well if you are Renting I would be INSISTING on a replacement, even to the point of telling some white lies, like the Hard Drive is Screaming, etc.

Peano is correct about the HDMI solder point, I have always wondered how, exactly, Bell will fix this by a Software Upgrade.......lol

Get on the Phone, cal Bell, get a replacement 9200, it might even have a working HDMI.

The HDMI Cable that shipped with the 9200 was actually an HDMI-DVi to DVi-HDMI Cable. It was useful for Customers connecting to a Monitor or from a 6100 (which only had DVi) to the HDMI of the TV.

You mention that you got a $10 discount off your Rental.! Well if you are Renting I would be INSISTING on a replacement, even to the point of telling some white lies, like the Hard Drive is Screaming, etc.

Peano is correct about the HDMI solder point, I have always wondered how, exactly, Bell will fix this by a Software Upgrade.......lol

Get on the Phone, cal Bell, get a replacement 9200, it might even have a working HDMI.

The HDMI Cable that shipped with the 9200 was actually an HDMI-DVi to DVi-HDMI Cable. It was useful for Customers connecting to a Monitor or from a 6100 (which only had DVi) to the HDMI of the TV.

Replacement of a 3 year old 9200 - is this do-able?
Slartibartfarst thanks for the advice. My Satellite Service was an outright purchase 3.5 years ago which included installation, and introduced me to this great hobby. Bell says that if my 9200 Rx was a year old ie within warranty that they would replace it, but since its over 3 years old they so far won't budge on a replacement 9200!! Maybe I need to talk to a Supervisor - if that is possible. I have noticed lately that trying to get hold of a human person to talk to at Bell lately is almost impossible - ie press this & press that!! And as you likely know you need lots of time, as phone calls can easily last an hour or more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)